• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
there was the Ross Turnbull/ken Elphick effort at concord in the 80: Ken Elphick was the chief executive of NSW Rugby Union at the time that Turnbull was chair and when the Concord Oval plan was established. Elphick was found guilty of extracting funds between February 1984 and July 1987 from two related companies - Rugby Ground Administration Pty Ltd and Homan Pty Ltd - through false invoices and secret commissions. He was sentenced to 2 years in jail. Turnbull says the oval history is lengthy and complicated, "save to say I was one of a distinguished committee and the first Rugby World Cup's Sydney games took place at that oval".
And there was some odd loan last year: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-legend-loan-controversy-20161103-gsgz0w.html

Did Ken ever play?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
15 teams form 2018

Tournament Details
  • 120 match regular season plus seven match finals series
  • 15 teams
  • Three conferences (Australia, New Zealand, South Africa)
  • 18 rounds [16 matches per team, two bye weeks]
  • Each team will play eight matches within its conference (four home and four away)
  • Each team will play eight cross-conference matches – against four of the five teams from each of the other two conferences (four at home and four away)
  • Each team will play 12 of the other teams within the season (85% of opposition teams which is up from 70% in 2016).
  • Eight team Finals Series: Three Conference winners and; five wild card places – the next best performing teams based on competition points after the Conference winners regardless of Conference. Conference winners and fourth-placed team on competition points will host quarter-finals.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
To be honest, I am just happy a decision has been made. Hopefully a decision on which team happens in the next 24hrs, I'd rather be very disappointed or very happy with the ability to move on from it than this silly constant state of flux we are in. There is no winners with all this speculation

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
15 teams form 2018

Tournament Details
  • 120 match regular season plus seven match finals series
  • 15 teams
  • Three conferences (Australia, New Zealand, South Africa)
  • 18 rounds [16 matches per team, two bye weeks]
  • Each team will play eight matches within its conference (four home and four away)
  • Each team will play eight cross-conference matches – against four of the five teams from each of the other two conferences (four at home and four away)
  • Each team will play 12 of the other teams within the season (85% of opposition teams which is up from 70% in 2016).
  • Eight team Finals Series: Three Conference winners and; five wild card places – the next best performing teams based on competition points after the Conference winners regardless of Conference. Conference winners and fourth-placed team on competition points will host quarter-finals.

Not happy a team is getting cut but this format makes so much sense. It's easy to understand. Too bad could have the same thing with the 18 teams

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So..

We're literally back to the same, arguably most successful format involving more than 12 teams, that we had in 2011-2015.

But this time we drop an Aussie team and a South African team for an Argie team and a Japanese team.

What a clusterfuck.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

M

Moono75

we fought this game out in dire circumstances. That is fucking character. we are second in Oz conferance, growing the game, financially stable. do t be a prick ARU. Cut us and you will Farked cause we will hold a grudge.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well so we got what we got!! I guess now we just wait to see who goes. I imagine everyone has got a little of what they wanted, Aus are virtually guaranteed of a final still as are NZ and SA (while assuming Jaguares are not going to win the conference:confused:) . I still prefer everyone playing each other, but I guess the broadcaster etc has to be kept happy too. Anyway onwards and upwards chaps!!!!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I enjoy hearing the comments which are generated from the Rugby segments on Brisbane's 4TAB radio, often with guests such as Mark Connors. This weekend, a statement that caught my attention was that "the decision on which teams left Super Rugby, would be influenced by the South African Government"!!
As I've often said, "Rugby is a very simple game which is only complicated by officials and politics"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.