• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So what are the odds of this situation remaining unresolved at the start of next season? Pretty short I would say.

Thats the beauty of their position: if its unresolved by 2018 - SANZAAR sue them.........if its resolved before then one or all of the Force, Rebels, Brumbies (? - assuming No 4918s position ), and RUPA &/or individual players who may have detrimentally relied on Alliance Agreement or Rebels licence agreement.
To roughly quote Jospeh Heller: "That ARUCF ™ is one hell of a clusterfuck." Its the best damned clusterfuck there is"
Edit: I re-branded the acronym it seems, but I think it will lead to wider brand recognition among the engaged stakeholders going forward.

L

Leo86

Maybe it's not for you, but it might be a window in the game for some people who just do not watch it anywhere else.

Better than nothing, I would have thought.

Im not opposed to it but it will be a small window (only my opinion).

The NRC has the potential to be that bigger window. To engage the viewer we need a good comp but to keep them we need something they can relate too. Team, player, rivalry.

Being said this is just my perspective from the furtherest point from a Shute Shield game

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Unfortunately, I can see the odds of the Brumbies/Rebels merger shortening quite alarmingly, with Cox to be offered the license for the Brumbies and the Rebels being culled in name at least. Some sort of bastardised arrangement where the amalgamated side plays some home games in each centre until 2020 when something new can be tried. Probably the worst outcome of all (from my viewpoint at least) but it's starting to look like the only possible solution to the hole the ARU are now in.

BR, like it or not, the Brumbies have the best "Crony Count" of any franchise in terms of the influential mates affiliations within the ARU that yield up undisclosed preferences and biases.

Everyone on the inside knows it.

Look at just 2 points of evidence:

- HC Larkham - having proven very little of substance in terms of titles and elite performance when HC and ditto with the Wallabies - is the 'newly anointed' Wallaby HC to succeed Cheika - there is zero justfication for this on objective or proper procedural grounds

- the Brumbies are not even considered in the cull list despite a raft of immediate historical problems, vast money issues, an ASIC investigation ongoing re ethical conduct and compliance with company law, tiny and declining crowds all positioned in a micro-market with zero real growth potential. And this inexplicable outcome from the ARU is not even deemed worthy of explanation to the rugby public, we 'have no right to know such things'.

The point being, given the internecine and 'special handshakes' MO by the which the ARU is run and conducts itself, the Brumbies will likely fend off any Super 18 restructuring that puts them in a secondary or weaker position.

They have proven the capacity to do so.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
When with a handful of exceptions (such as Simon Cron and our very own Dave Beat) the Shute Shield voluntarily and deliberately portrays itself as a nepotistic, insular, arrogant, sneering and nostalgic competition, how could it ever be the basis for something bigger and wider appealing?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
You see, that sounds like it'd have awful results too. Cox could quite reasonably demand:

The right to retain any player for either the Brumbies or the Rebels beyond 2017.

The ARU is to provide pay outs or alternate squad places for any contracted player Cox doesn't want to retain.

A 6-2 split of Games Melbourne-Canberra to keep the side based in the best city for financial/business purposes, alienating would be ACT/Regional NSW supporters.

No retention of the Vikings/ACT U20s, or alternatively, obliging the ARU to provide total (or near total) funding for Coaches, Scouts, players etc. For these teams to continue existing.

Demanding more Internationals on top of all that and hence depriving some very good/high potential players necessary gametime.

Chaos everywhere you look, and the loser is Australian Rugby.

Personally speaking I think it's at least arguable that a Brumbies-Rebels merger under Cox as supremo may well better managed than any outcome managed by the hapless Brumbies board that's done little else but deliver a series of truly world-class examples of how a sports team should not be governed in any dimension of CEO recruitments and CEO stability, money management, legal matters and processes, core asset preservation, property transactions.............and so on.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
When with a handful of exceptions (such as Simon Cron and our very own Dave Beat) the Shute Shield voluntarily and deliberately portrays itself as a nepotistic, insular, arrogant, sneering and nostalgic competition, how could it ever be the basis for something bigger and wider appealing?

It is only the basis in NSW/Sydney. Brisbane Qld can and should have their own comp, ditto the other markets and then bring the finalists of those competitions together for a national championship aka the NRC but with real teams that actually have a following, history, and basis for growth. The Shute means jack shit to most non Sydney Rugby people, why would it matter, however the Shute finalists playing your boys, whole different matter. This is what the NRC should have been.

You will also note I have said nothing about payments to players, essentially this remains an amateur comp in start up until it can actually sustain professionalism.

As it stands I don't give a shit about professional rugby in Australia, the standard for the potential and the fact that the "elite" players are paid to do nothing but is very very poor and declining. If they go I doubt I'll honestly miss them.

Consider also that significant number of "elite" starting Super players are already leaving in the primes and even starting points of their careers and not necessarily for significantly more coin.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

That's exactly how I feel. I love the SS and have followed it for years, though without really a connection to any team other than Parramatta. The problem is that it only represents a fraction of the game in this wide brown land. What's in it for QLD'ers, or folks from WA, Victoria or heck Country NSW? Whatever we do next IMHO cannot be driven only by the interests of the Sydney clubs. It has to be more broad based than that if the game is to be our game. That is, for all Australians. I don't get the feeling that Papworth, Poido, Dwyer and especially that prat from the NSWRU are doing anything other than talking their own book. They may think and say that they are looking after the interests of the game in OZ, but really they are just attempting to entrench their own. I don't blame them but I don't want them to have their hands on the levers of power because the rest of us will get screwed over.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's exactly how I feel. I love the SS and have followed it for years, though without really a connection to any team other than Parramatta. The problem is that it only represents a fraction of the game in this wide brown land. What's in it for QLD'ers, or folks from WA, Victoria or heck Country NSW? Whatever we do next IMHO cannot be driven only by the interests of the Sydney clubs. It has to be more broad based than that if the game is to be our game. That is, for all Australians. I don't get the feeling that Papworth, Poido, Dwyer and especially that prat from the NSWRU are doing anything other than talking their own book. They may think and say that they are looking after the interests of the game in OZ, but really they are just attempting to entrench their own. I don't blame them but I don't want them to have their hands on the levers of power because the rest of us will get screwed over.

Hard to find a anything I can disagree with there. The Shute Shield is far too insular. This coming from someone who like you has been a fan of the competition for a very long time and in my case has actually actively played for one of them.

If someone could devise a model where we could take take 4 or 5 clubs each from Sydney and Brisbane alongside the Rams, Rising, Spirit and Vikings and form a truly national competition. Then I'd support that.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Of course he has told the playing group he's not selling.
Otherwise he just cops whatever morsels the ARU throw at him.
But, he has to have no respect for money, if he doesn't bash up the ARU for a big payout & walk away.
His business is leaking money and the business model is totally reliant upon an inept organisation, that has total discretion about what funds they provide him after 2020.
I think Cox is playing the I don't want to sell as part of negotiation tactics to get an outstanding little profit for himself. As would he seriously want to retain the rebels in what is a flawed product and business model that has now through the latest fiasco seen untold long term damage. Cox wants to sell but for a very good profit imo.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
NRC is the future. It needs to be the ARUs goal to get every game onto FTA as soon as possible. We need to make it our own Big Bash. Australia can control it and set out own rules to make the game more attractive to new fans. I know the traditionalists will scream, but fuck it. We don't have the luxury of sitting on our hands anymore.

And we use the shortness of the competition as a selling point. That's one of the Big Bash's strongest points. Because it doesn't drag on it's exciting. I'm a cricket fan but these days the BB is pretty much the only cricket I watch besides a bit of Test around the Christmas holidays. A cleverly implemented BB style of Rugby could be the only saviour of the game in Aus.

And trust if it works in Aus, our international competitors will want to incorporate the best bits of it in the international game.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah, nah..... it might take a bit more than Wayne Smith's spider senses to go down that path.

Cox selling for a motza is still the most likely outcome. It is however looking like culling the Brumbies will be the cheapest option and there might be a few on the board questioning the decision not to include them.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
NRC is the future. It needs to be the ARUs goal to get every game onto FTA as soon as possible. We need to make it our own Big Bash. Australia can control it and set out own rules to make the game more attractive to new fans. I know the traditionalists will scream, but fuck it. We don't have the luxury of sitting on our hands anymore.

And we use the shortness of the competition as a selling point. That's one of the Big Bash's strongest points. Because it doesn't drag on it's exciting. I'm a cricket fan but these days the BB is pretty much the only cricket I watch besides a bit of Test around the Christmas holidays. A cleverly implemented BB style of Rugby could be the only saviour of the game in Aus.

And trust if it works in Aus, our international competitors will want to incorporate the best bits of it in the international game.
Could not agree more chargerwa and if we need to reformat it to align with model wcr proposes all for it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Personally speaking I think it's at least arguable that a Brumbies-Rebels merger under Cox as supremo may well better managed than any outcome managed by the hapless Brumbies board that's done little else but deliver a series of truly world-class examples of how a sports team should not be governed in any dimension of CEO recruitments and CEO stability, money management, legal matters and processes, core asset preservation, property transactions.....and so on.

This, but with the real danger that Cox ends up with too much power.

This is the problem. Either a league is fully professional, with owners and the Union sitting together around a table with proper governance and an agreed charter, upheld by the ARU, or you end up in the half baked model with the kind of mess we find ourselves in now.

If indeed Cox is holding as many Aces as we are lead to believe, then we will end up in a situation where the other franchises will feel very disgruntled because everyone is not being teated equally.

This is going to get a whole lot uglier before it gets any better.

Strong leadership is needed. With strong balls.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Without anything on FTA we are totally invisible to most of the sporting population. Having the SS on at least gives us a window into the game. Not to mention the fact that it is actually pretty good to watch, and not all that difficult to understand, compared to the Soup. Plus it contains genuine teams and real rivalries. Unlike the NRC.

We need to walk and chew gum at the same time.

The problem is at this point of time with the game in the situation it is NATIONALLY, your SS TV argument is akin to a self-fulfilling prophecy. Especially when you use the NRC to compare it to being our only national domestic competition.

What rivalries, and what genuine teams? Nobody beyond SS knows nor cares about the rivalries, those that know SS know it all about the money and Uni and the "bought" but "not paid" for teams. It cant be that good as with all its history and even FTA exposure its draw is very limited and has not been able to get any interest outside of the SS exclusive realm.

SS is fast becoming the advert for who gives a f*ck about rugby in Australia as we are fine - just keep giving us money though.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Found this by clicking on a Twitter hashtag in a Pfitzy post (yeah, I know where that could end but in this instance it was actually Rugby related :)):

IMG_0730.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.