• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The weakness in the SA argument is that in many ways, they are the architects of this disastrous format. 3 x 6 might have been sustainable, but the unfathomable 4 conference system with bizarre permutations makes the whole thing a joke.

Again. For the umpteenth time. They are JOINT architects.

The ARU and NZRU are as much to blame. If they did not like it their had equal voting rights and equal rights to veto.

They were simply out negotiated. Whose fault is that? I wish they had some balls when it mattered. I really do. But they had fucking dollar signs blinding them and agreed to any sack of shit as long as the money flowed. Stupid bloody twats.

The blame is SANZAR's, not SARU's (even though they are a bunch of bloody toads).

To just "blame SARU" is lazy.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Just a drop in comment read this on the conversation its very interesting and has heaps of links its also also very long.

Came off my self imposed ban to put this link up as the conversation is not a widely read outlet [if that is the correct term]

Its talking about cricket but in also touches issues we have faced in the past.

Well worth reading especially the effect on English cricket player numbers when they moved off FTA.

https://theconversation.com/chasing...r-and-out-for-cricket-on-free-to-air-tv-76792

D

daz

From the Australian article in Timmy's post: "the Melbourne Rebels — the only other side still on the endangered list — have indicated they will pursue legal action the moment the ARU moves against them. And even if it doesn’t, the Rebels may still sue the national body for damaging their brand with the mere speculation that they may be “cut or chopped”.

Honestly, given the majority of the Rebels players up for renewal (or any fucking players) can't currently sign to the franchise, even if the Rebels are cleared there is a very real possibility that we will be left with the bottom of the talent pool to sign for 2018, and our current coach to educate them.

Then we have a beyond clusterfuck season next year (yep, even worse than this one), which sheds sponsors and fans, and has the rest of the country asking why the Rebels weren't chopped instead of the Force...When it is because the club has been locked in the basement and fucking handcuffed and muted like some kind of Super Rugby Gimp, while the rest of the comp has been busy signing and planning players.

So, based on that and that alone...Coxy, get the green light for 2018 then activate whatever the fuck the legal equivalent of "nuclear ass-whoopin'" is on the ARU.

Hell, I'll even chip in a few dinarii on a go-fund me page for legal expenses.

They might not end up "cutting" or "chopping" us, but the ARU are killing the Rebels none-the-less.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
From the Australian article in Timmy's post: "the Melbourne Rebels — the only other side still on the endangered list — have indicated they will pursue legal action the moment the ARU moves against them. And even if it doesn’t, the Rebels may still sue the national body for damaging their brand with the mere speculation that they may be “cut or chopped”.

Honestly, given the majority of the Rebels players up for renewal (or any fucking players) can't currently sign to the franchise, even if the Rebels are cleared there is a very real possibility that we will be left with the bottom of the talent pool to sign for 2018, and our current coach to educate them.

Then we have a beyond clusterfuck season next year (yep, even worse than this one), which sheds sponsors and fans, and has the rest of the country asking why the Rebels weren't chopped instead of the Force.When it is because the club has been locked in the basement and fucking handcuffed and muted like some kind of Super Rugby Gimp, while the rest of the comp has been busy signing and planning players.

So, based on that and that alone.Coxy, get the green light for 2018 then activate whatever the fuck the legal equivalent of "nuclear ass-whoopin'" is on the ARU.

Hell, I'll even chip in a few dinarii on a go-fund me page for legal expenses.

They might not end up "cutting" or "chopping" us, but the ARU are killing the Rebels none-the-less.

Yes I agree. Hard to know what the ARU are up to skulking around in their cave.
They are definitely not speaking to the WF unless through their lawyers.

Theoretically they could be talking to the Rebs.

My justification for this is that if the Brumbies are still on the table behind closed doors? The ARU would have to secretly hammer out a deal suitable to Mr Cox before trying to force the Brumbies to the merger table. Mr Cox does not seem against this option?
This would solve the Rebs player issues for one and no doubt Mr Cox will get a good deal on top.
For the ARU not cutting the WF might be the better option if only for the reason the WF seem to be favoured by the Media and imo the majority of the rugby public over the Brumbies. Also they can claim they are keeping the Brumbies, just moving them and making them stronger.
Only issue I have with this cunning plan is re Foxtel and their position which I would guess is becoming one of I don't care as long as it includes Melb.

D

daz

At this point, the political intrigues and secret squirrel shit is just beyond me. Over it.

Just tell us who is out, so those affected fans can plan for 2018. I have a garage that I promised my wife I would clear out when my weekends free up. I never in my wildest dreams considered they might potentially ALL fucking free up!

:confused:

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
At this point, the political intrigues and secret squirrel shit is just beyond me. Over it.

Just tell us who is out, so those affected fans can plan for 2018. I have a garage that I promised my wife I would clear out when my weekends free up. I never in my wildest dreams considered they might potentially ALL fucking free up!

:confused:

maybe the answer is just around the corner? but I doubt it. If it helps, in my uninformed opinion I think the Rebs are safe thanks to Foxtel, your wife can rest easy that she will still have the garage to badger you about.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
maybe the answer is just around the corner? but I doubt it. If it helps, in my uninformed opinion I think the Rebs are safe thanks to Foxtel, your wife can rest easy that she will still have the garage to badger you about.

Haha. Killer, that's given me a laugh in the office :)

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeesh. He could've seen it through to the end before packing it in.

Edit: He looks remarkably like the 'Penguin' from Batman. Maybe the ARU are actually just a front for an organization of super villains and now they all need to jump ship as there is far too much scrutiny associated with the position.

B

BLR

Yeesh. He could've seen it through to the end before packing it in.

Edit: He looks remarkably like the 'Penguin' from Batman. Maybe the ARU are actually just a front for an organization of super villains and now they all need to jump ship as there is far too much scrutiny associated with the position.

Now the ARU can come out and say 'look, no conflict of interest, we're the good guys, cya Force'.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Parking all the wide speculation about Rob Clarke, but I recall from a P&P article that he was in like to head up Sailing Australia. He could be heading to that role.

Or, it could be a peace offering to this whole sordid process. No more conflict of interest, the architect of the alliance agreement, something else. Take your pick.

Get your tin hats ready, people.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Parking all the wide speculation about Rob Clarke, but I recall from a P&P article that he was in like to head up Sailing Australia. He could be heading to that role.

Or, it could be a peace offering to this whole sordid process. No more conflict of interest, the architect of the alliance agreement, something else. Take your pick.

yes as prob the chief architect of the chaos it may give the ARU the out to re assess the whole issue starting with SANZAAR.
Glass half full, maybe they will start representing all of Aus rugby, TBC

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Again. For the umpteenth time. They are JOINT architects.

The ARU and NZRU are as much to blame. If they did not like it their had equal voting rights and equal rights to veto.

They were simply out negotiated. Whose fault is that? I wish they had some balls when it mattered. I really do. But they had fucking dollar signs blinding them and agreed to any sack of shit as long as the money flowed. Stupid bloody twats.

The blame is SANZAR's, not SARU's (even though they are a bunch of bloody toads).

To just "blame SARU" is lazy.

I don't want to get into a slanging match with you, because I respect your views.

I deliberately used the word "architect" because the sytem was put up by the SARU - so yes, they designed it, hence the use of the word architects.

I also quite deliberately did not say that the SARU were to blame for the situation, because as you rightly point out (as I have on many occasions) that the ARU have veto power and could have stopped it had they wanted. Again, as you say they were blinded by the $ signs.

So yes, the ARU and the NZRU are as much to blame, but clearly (and without dispute as far as I know), the SARU wanted the 4 conference system so as to host 2 quarter finals. Thus, by any analysis the SARU are the "architects" of the current system and the ARU and the NZRU are equally to "blame"

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
maybe the board has had enough of him? As suggested on TWF, rightly or wrongly, he seems to leave a trail of destruction behind him, Brumbies, Rebels and now the ARU. What was Bill doing during all this, who is the CEO here?

D

daz

Hmm. Suits my avatar perfectly. Here we go.

The article does say that RC was in line to take over from Pulver, which makes sense from a succession planning perspective.

Trouble is, every single one of those senior ARU managers and board members has been tainted by this disgrace of a shitfight, and I would have thought that moving forward post shitfight to re-engage the state unions, there has to be a clean sweep.

I reckon Rob would have seen his days in rugby were over, and decided that sailing looked like fun. If only Pulver and Banking Boy would also do the right thing and leave.

It's not going to save either the Force or the Rebels (or perhaps the Brumbies ;)), but at least I'll feel better that those grubby hands are fucking up another sport in the future rather than still fucking up ours.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Hmm. Suits my avatar perfectly. Here we go.

The article does say that RC was in line to take over from Pulver, which makes sense from a succession planning perspective.

Trouble is, every single one of those senior ARU managers and board members has been tainted by this disgrace of a shitfight, and I would have thought that moving forward post shitfight to re-engage the state unions, there has to be a clean sweep.

I reckon Rob would have seen his days in rugby were over, and decided that sailing looked like fun. If only Pulver and Banking Boy would also do the right thing and leave.

It's not going to save either the Force or the Rebels (or perhaps the Brumbies ;)), but at least I'll feel better that those grubby hands are fucking up another sport in the future rather than still fucking up ours.

Perfectly put.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Re Clarkes's departure

Posters please note:

Golden Rules Nos 1-4 of the Australian Rugby Management System

- No one ever is actually directly accountable for anything​
- Excuses and pass-off explanations are made for every failure​
- The elites always circles its own wagons when a new crisis breaks and 'no one was to blame'​
- The truth of why someone leaves or, hardly ever, gets fired or demoted never comes out........'confidentiality agreements' always come into prominence and 'must be honoured in the circumstances'​

Status
Not open for further replies.