• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
They'd still get Lions tests and the odd Bledisloe....

Wouldn't be convinced. If the Force are considered above the Rebels, then I reckon that WA would be pushing for the next Lions test on the basis that it is a Rugby stronghold

You have to remember that if the Rebels go, this will be the second time in the past 10 years where the ARU have provided Melbourne with a rugby team and then pulled it. The closure of the ARC was pretty brutal for Melbourne - no one else really cared as they had their Super Rugby team.

It was hard being a rugby supporter in Melbourne pre the Rebels. I'm a supporter not a player. I started following rugby relatively late when I went to the ANU and dated someone from a rugby family and then moved to Melbourne. It was so bad at some points even the Bledisloe cup wasn't on live on FTA.

My life is more complex now (kids) and if the Rebels go, I don't know whether I could be bothered following rugby in future and I suspect many others in Melbourne would do the same.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
While I don't think the Vic Government would be happy to see the Rebels go, they're not going to turn down the opportunity to host major sporting events, particularly something as big as a Lions tour that generates so much tourism dollars...............

To suggest otherwise is fantasy.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Someone please save me from having to read the last 100 pages.

So SANZAAR meet last week in Japan and nothing at all has come out of that meeting. Not any statement or even leak to the media.

Am I right or have I missed something?

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Someone please save me from having to read the last 100 pages.

So SANZAAR meet last week in Japan and nothing at all has come out of that meeting. Not any statement or even leak to the media.

Am I right or have I missed something?

They came out and said before the meeting that nothing would come out of the meeting.

I guess they just don't have many pressing issues to report on right now.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Still not entirely sure why you guys all want 5 Aus teams? To continue the status quo of horrific losses every weekend? Or expecting it to turn around? Can't be fun tuning in for that crippling ineptitude every Saturday arvo

After 386 pages, just realized why the status quo will kill the comp.

The comp is fawst losing its prestige. As it becomes more of a laughing stock, and its reputation is corroded, the money people will take their money and fuck off elsewhere. They aint some ribbon-for-everyone charity. CHING CHING MOTHERFUCKERS!

When we tune in at the start and see a huge empty stadium it says “holy shit, nobody in town even bothered to turn up.” That says either ticket prices too high or nobody gives a shit. Either way, there will be a silent & crappy atmosphere. Not a good look for advertisers. “Is this really the best rugby comp in the world? Nobody cares. Taking my ad$ elsewhere.” No more money. TV rights people? “Who cares, we’re not paying any more. Nobody’s watching. Shit atmosphere, shit product.” No more tv$, player salaries go down, players fuck off, the gravy train wheezes to a halt mid-station, the comp withers, and dies.

Killed by greed.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Still not entirely sure why you guys all want 5 Aus teams? To continue the status quo of horrific losses every weekend? Or expecting it to turn around? Can't be fun tuning in for that crippling ineptitude every Saturday arvo

I'd much prefer to turn up and watch the Rebels win 1 game in the season than not have any rugby in Melbourne. The Force fans are the same.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I'm all for the schadenfreude when the Brumbies hopefully host a final on the back of nothing but losing bonus points.........

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

The comp is fawst losing its prestige. As it becomes more of a laughing stock, and its reputation is corroded, the money people will take their money and fuck off elsewhere. They aint some ribbon-for-everyone charity. CHING CHING MOTHERFUCKERS!

When we tune in at the start and see a huge empty stadium it says “holy shit, nobody in town even bothered to turn up.” That says either ticket prices too high or nobody gives a shit. Either way, there will be a silent & crappy atmosphere. Not a good look for advertisers. “Is this really the best rugby comp in the world? Nobody cares. Taking my ad$ elsewhere.” No more money. TV rights people? “Who cares, we’re not paying any more. Nobody’s watching. Shit atmosphere, shit product.” No more tv$, player salaries go down, players fuck off, the gravy train wheezes to a halt mid-station, the comp withers, and dies.

Killed by greed.

Yeah, look Dismal we want to keep five teams and also not be shit, whilst also not paying internationally competitive wages. The players should sacrifice for the green and gold jersey they probably won't ever wear.

It's similar to the Housing shortages in both New Zealand and Australia. Median house prices at $1.15 million you say? Outrageous! We must do something about housing affordability! Just don't let the value of my house drop, we can't have that. How will i retire?

We want our cake and to eat it too, in all things, because Australians and New Zealanders are fucking spoiled rotten for literally everything imaginable.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Dismal is of course correct, the competition is failing because except for the New Zealand teams and the Lions the product is pretty crap. if it cant attract (not enough $) or aren't allowed (Australia, South African, New Zealand and Argentinian restrictions) to employ the best around then that's an inevitable result. the structure and format no longer work, so that's why most people feel its time to either leave altogether or completely re-format the concept and i don't mean Super15, and in my opinion allow open slather on playing lists. It is either a competition that stands alone, not as a feeder for national teams (which is great byproduct but not the end in itself) or it will fold because apart from the New Zealand franchises, it seems the other competitors cant generate sufficient players of high enough standard that the average punter ( not us tragics) wants to be invested in or watch. this is just the first skirmish in what i suspect will be a rapid demise over the next three years.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Killed by greed.
The comp was always flawed. Mainly to do with time difference with South Africa.

We still need our 5 provincial sides and they need to play each other at least once, preferably twice. We need this for our Pathways. This comp alone should generate TV and turnstile revenue.

And if you think about it, this would be an incredibly even comp this year.

Then what happens with the Saffers and the Kiwis is another issue altogether.

Perhaps the top 3 team from each domestic comp go into a Super 9 (or 11 if Japan and Argentina stay)

Perhaps the bottom 2 go into an Oceania comp. This could be like a repechage and the winner gets a spot in the Super finals.

Play all the domestic derbies first to generate interest. When the Super component starts all teams will have a new chance of winning something.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
For the next three years, until the end of the current broadcast deal… perhaps it should simply be 3×6 closed conferences until the finals.

Play everyone in your own conference home and away (10 games each) with the top two from each conference qualifying for the finals.

Every conference would be vibrant and competitive! Credibility would be restored to Super Rugby as a comp.

The national bodies could schedule their own conferences to suit the individual domestic markets. All games would be on at ideal times.

The cross-over finals would carry a natural mystique and be highly anticipated, as fans wait to see only the best play the best.

Super Rugby would finish before the June internationals – so no more break in Super Rugby.

Oh, and no more travel problems.

Yes, NZ and SA already have established domestic tournaments, and yes, this suggestion is a different philosophy to the original Super Rugby concept. But generally speaking, the local derbies get the most viewers and create the most interest in each country.

This would solve so many problems for rugby in Oz.

It would only need to be a 3 year trial until the current broadcast deal ends. If it’s not working then we can always revert to something else.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
a modification to The Honey Badgers proposal, domestic comps in each country (add japan to Australia and Argentina to NZ) ie 6 teams, home and away, then top team (or two) from each conference play round robin (one home game each) to decide the winner, those not in the finals go into their 2nd tier domestic comp (NRC, Currie Cup and whatever the Kiwis are calling theirs at the time), all before the quad nations. lots of local content and then the big prize at the end. who knows if it would be viable though ? edit: Joe beat me to it

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Force or Rebels?

Media in South Africa is agitating the two teams to be forcibly culled as part of SANZAAR’s plans to reduce Super Rugby from 18 teams to 15 should come from the poorly performing Australian conference.

c7NJRa2.gif

SIZE][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=

Don't worry guys....... it's just more Wayne Smith dribble with nothing further in the article to back up the claim.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...p/news-story/461a55bdc8d9bf759964bee0da409a02

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Force or Rebels?

SIZE][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=

Don't worry guys... it's just more Wayne Smith dribble with nothing further in the article to back up the claim.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...p/news-story/461a55bdc8d9bf759964bee0da409a02

I can't imagine the ARU being so dumb as to cut both the Rebels and Force (actually I can imagine it but anyway...) So that means that both countries refuse to cut 2 teams so the whole plan falls apart.

We then go to a round robin of 18 teams (adding 2 extra weeks) and everyone is happy (especially the NZ teams who can then be the top 5 teams)

Status
Not open for further replies.