• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Was in the studio after the Crusaders v Chiefs game and pretty much defended the ARU for taking there time, his so disconnected from what the fans want.

Nick McArdle on the other hand can see fans are leaving by the dozen cause they are over it.

Horan: long, long track record as a proven ARU/QRU/status quo sycophant totally irrespective of their actual conduct or competence. Which obviously suits his interests.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Was in the studio after the Crusaders v Chiefs game and pretty much defended the ARU for taking there time, his so disconnected from what the fans want.

Nick McArdle on the other hand can see fans are leaving by the dozen cause they are over it.

Horan agitated me with his comments saying that rugby in Australia is in great health, its just the professional level that is struggling. With so many influential people in the game with their head in the sand like this, no wonder we are struggling.

B

BLR

Horan agitated me with his comments saying that rugby in Australia is in great health, its just the professional level that is struggling. With so many influential people in the game with their head in the sand like this, no wonder we are struggling.

To be fair, he is right in some ways, think about the growth in community rugby in WA and VIC. It's the suits that are ruining the pro level.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
To be fair, he is right in some ways, think about the growth in community rugby in WA and VIC. It's the suits that are ruining the pro level.

I would be fairly safe in saying that neither Victoria nor WA were on his mind. He is part of the NSW/QLD/ACT/ARU axis of incompetence, nepotism, cronyism and sycophancy.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

See post #5882

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Paul Cully/SMH calls 'for Pulver to go, and go soon'.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...cutive-bill-pulver-to-go-20170518-gw87kh.html

If only it wasn't true that Clyne, to our horror, has broken out of the ARU chrysalis as an even bigger fumbling disaster and problem than Pulver.

The only worthwhile decision that Clyne has made is to sideline Pulver. As we speak, I suspect that Bill is busily hoovering the corridors of the St Leonard's bunker and making sure that all the waste paper baskets are empty.

I think that Clyne probably realises that he's in the middle of a clusterfuck of cosmic proportions, but his instict based on running a bank is to deny reality and try to intimidate and use market power to dissolve opposition. Unfortunately the ARU no longer has market power and so far, no one has been intimidated.

His laughable attempt to avoid having an EGM because after 6 weeks of inaction, it would be inappropriate to wait all of 21 days to give due notice shows the contempt with which the ARU treats the rugby community.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Poor Wayne, after years and years of defending the establishment he's struggling for relevance.
Yeah he completely ignores the fact that the only reason the Rebels were ever in the firing line was because the ARU knows that can't cut the force because of the agreement with the force.

Had it not been for the agreement the force would have been cut with in '48 to 72 hours' as was the plan all along.

Now they also realise that they can't cut the Rebels either the whole thing is a cluster f#&*

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's all nice, but where do we get the money to work for all Australian rugby players better than now with an Aus-centric TV product for which we will receive way less money? It's only the pandering that has got us any decent money recently.

I understand the sentiment, but once we have new management, I can't see where we get the pot of gold.

If we stay with 5 teams, which philosophically I'd prefer, I struggle to see anything but yet another Super Rugby clusterfuck next year with some cobbled together competition, especially if 2 SA teams do go and end up in Europe.

And with all due respect, most of the solutions posited here about AUS / NZ comp (not gonna happen) or our own thing don't really answer the hard question...

View attachment 9242

Sadly whilst philosophically supporting 5 teams I can't see financially us being able to sustain 5 teams given where at and even moreso with ever dwindling crowds at oz super rugby games (and hence lower gate revenues) and dwindling ratings which at least short term won't harm us so much but for next tv deal it will post 2020.

We need an alternative model but yes NZ at this point just not interested. Going alone not an option as at best I could only see us sustain a semi pro long form national club competition (expanded NRC long form with full season) with assumption Foxtel would support this.

The most optimal solution I see for full professional level is a combination of new injection of money in both the Force and Rebels and which ever side is axed from Super Rugby is entered into the Japan Top League domestic professional competition or NZ's NPC competition. As like SA we must ensure we don't reduce professional rugby opportunities but yes five teams in Super Rugby won't wash. I also like the SA thinking of putting culled Super Rugby sides into Pro 12 as well as us putting our culled Super Rugby side into Japan's Top League competition or NZ's NPC Competition. For South Africa it provides investment and access to important European market and for us investment and access to Asian market.

As having an oz side in say Top League would apply important trial for learnings on how we could potentially longer term tap into the Asian market and create a more Asian-PI focussed league perhaps (ie oz sides plus say Fiji and Japanese side or two).

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
which ever side is axed from Super Rugby is entered into the Japan J-League domestic professional competition.

No offence, RN, but I don't think you know what you're talking about here. The J-League is a soccer competition for a start, mate.

The rugby comp is actually an industrial league with promotion and relegation for teams from corporations in Japan, and is the Top League. It kicks off again in two months plus change and runs through to the end of December, to be followed by the All-Japan championship knockout.

If you think South African teams are a big chance of playing in Europe then that's awesome. There are two chances of an Australian team competing in the Japanese league; Buckley's and none.

They might be interested in recruiting a few players, but that's it.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
At some point the ARU brains trust are going to put cutting either force or rebels in the too hard basket and switch their focus to another franchise. Out of the 3 little pigs left, Waratahs house is made of bricks, Reds of Sticks and Brumbies straw. The ARU will just keep blowing until one falls down, they don't have fortitude to admit they were wrong and tell SANZAR to fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.