• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I still don't get why people think that would be his decision?

How does the ARU board avoid any scrutiny in all this?

Surely they are the ones who ultimately are making the decision for what the ARU puts forward and accepts/vetoes at the SANZAAR meeting. If they aren't, none of them should be there because this shouldn't be the CEO's decision.
Exactly and hence if oz side gets cut with no big plan b plans all aru board members should be removed

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah, but they're also a foundation team, have a more recognisable brand, successful history on and off the field, their crowds are comparable to Perth and Melb with a smaller population base, and have been attracting some big sponsors lately so their finances are on the up....

The Force's finances too also looking up after their deal with the WA Govt.....

The Rebels are privately owned, but as mentioned earlier the ARU are still pumping significantly more money into them than the other teams.

Are they? $6m over 5 years vs $1.7m per year over that same period as has been reported on this thread. My maths puts that at $2.5m less. Privately owned teams in any sport still get a cut of the TV money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
How could the ARU possibly agree to cutting the BRUMBIES...

Super Rugby

• Champions (2)
2001, 2004,
  • Runners-up (4)
1997, 2000, 2002, 2013
  • Australian Conference Champions (2)
2013, 2016
Australian Provincial Championship

• Champions (1)

World Cup Sevens

• Champions (1)

Notable players

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
Sorry mate can't agree . I supported the Tahs for years before I moved to Melbourne but now I'm a locked in , hand on heart Rebels man . Like I think the vast majority of Force , Rebels , Brumbies supporters , take out our team and we are gone to Rugby at a professional level , especially beacause of the shocking way the ARU are handling this process and the disrespect being shown to joe supporter .

I hear you and that's totally fair.

Perhaps I'm a bit quick to roll over and the first couple of rounds this year haven't exactly been joy to watch for us. It's pretty soul sapping the results and having an axe hanging around in a city where it's hard to make ground on a good weekend.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
While I agree with the sentiment that they maybe aren't creating a lot, the brumbies probably are the best in the country at perfecting the talent.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I suppose one obvious question is, how many of those players started their careers in the ACT?

Its about yoyr junior post code... What cutter crap...
So tell why have the tahs and reds under performed with all this so called junior talent??? Results speak

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Its about yoyr junior post code. What cutter crap.
So tell why have the tahs and reds under performed with all this so called junior talent??? Results speak

The argument is that other franchises produce their own without the need to import them. The Force currently have 10 in their main squad. NSW has over 80%. The Rebels actually have a bunch of young guys emerging.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Really good insight into the delay by Payto.

Essentially SA turned up at the meeting without a preferred model, so everyone is waiting for them to sort their crap out.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/t...s/news-story/c1c21c40b19998f36e6d85e330d306d0

How about this. Cut the Saffers loose. Go with two conferences of 6 over 16 rounds. Hell, if the Japanese and Argentines want another team each then fine. Two 7 team conferences. Bonus. Most of the games would be in our time zones.

They knew this meeting was coming up but are such a basketcase they lobbed up with nothing. FFS.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
The argument is that other franchises produce their own without the need to import them. The Force currently have 10 in their main squad. NSW has over 80%. The Rebels actually have a bunch of young guys emerging.

Thats complete BS all have done so... Both the Tahs and Reds are forever dipping into the NRL players... Not many came to the Brumbies as Wallabies but certainly left as household names...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
As for the FOrce having 10 local players the Brumbies could do the same and loose every game too... Plenty of good talent in Canberra however many choose to come to get opportunity and become great players... After all we're playing in an international comp...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Thats complete BS all have done so. Both the Tahs and Reds are forever dipping into the NRL players. Not many came to the Brumbies as Wallabies but certainly left as household names.

Did I say I supported that argument? It's professional sport. You source talent where you can. Just highlighting the train of thought behind that angle.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
As for the FOrce having 10 local players the Brumbies could do the same and loose every game too. Plenty of good talent in Canberra however many choose to come to get opportunity and become great players. After all we're playing in an international comp.

The Perth developed players, well are number of them, could be considered superior to many of their imports.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
As for the FOrce having 10 local players the Brumbies could do the same and loose every game too. Plenty of good talent in Canberra however many choose to come to get opportunity and become great players. After all we're playing in an international comp.
That is unfair as 10 locals are with current force squad which is very strong this year which shows force pathways working. But equally I understand defence of retaining brumbies. In fairness whoever gets cut has right to feel aggrieved as no clear cut candidates amongst the force, rebels and brumbies which is why seems such a short sighted solution when super rugby does not long term appear to be a good solution for oz Rugby.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...tens-has-no-time-for-stupid-super-rugby-setup

If NZ want Oz to cut a team and have a finals system that allows for the most dominant teams to make the finals, despite where they come from (with the assumption that NZ will have a representation that reflects their dominance) then the concession from the ARU's perspective should be that NZ and Oz form a trans-tasman conference, including Japan. And SA and ARG (+ whoever else) are left to form a seperate conference, with the two conferences only meeting in the finals.

Right. Broadcasters will just love that.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Brumbies also have 10 locals in their squad, plus the head coach, and numerous players in other teams local and overseas..........

But probably just as important is that over the years they've taken many players from elsewhere and turned them into test players......... they've always run a good program.

To get rid of one of our more successful pathways would be madness.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Any ideas how fans can protest at games this weekend to show support of 5 Australian teams remaining?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

When last did the ARU listen to the mob?

They listen to the broadcasters. That's it.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
How could the ARU possibly agree to cutting the BRUMBIES
For all the stats and history you just need ask one question; does it pay the bills? 13 years without being able to even break-even is a tough argument to counter when money is the key issue, especially with all that success and impressive stats still not getting the Brumbies over the line financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.