• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
No city in super rugby has two teams. This is the stupidest idea I've heard yet. You'd have to change the whole identity of the the Waratahs, what the east Waratahs?
It's not that stupid, though. A city of 4+ million people with one of the most ambitious immigration programs in the developed world. More than half of those people live in the west, including a large Islander population.

They are crying out for a Rugby product and it's not hard to see why they don't get behind the Tah's. More potential for growth there than just about anywhere else in Australia.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Raided !!! What ??? were they meant to recruit profession prospects from womens hockey. Brumbues develop prospects

The local Canberra club competition? The private school competition in Canberra?

I don't think bring sexism into helps your cause either.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
It's not that stupid, though. A city of 4+ million people with one of the most ambitious immigration programs in the developed world. More than half of those people live in the west, including a large Islander population.

They are crying out for a Rugby product and it's not hard to see why they don't get behind the Tah's. More potential for growth there than just about anywhere else in Australia.

That is an NRC issue not a Super Rugby issue. Super Rugby is about the best. Not the most. The idea of grow is what start this problem to begin with.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)

I think this boat was missed with the initial expansion, before AFL, A-League, Big Bash etc got their footprint in the area.

Absolutely agree there is/was certainly a huge opportunity to brand a franchise as starkly different to the Waratahs, whilst also challenging Australian Rugby stereotypes.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No city in super rugby has two teams. This is the stupidest idea I've heard yet. You'd have to change the whole identity of the the Waratahs, what the east Waratahs?

No no no. The Waratahs and the Gymeas (Lilly). [Beats the hell out of the Welwitschias, anyway.] Or what about "Bottle Brushes"?

They wouldn't be much closer than Bulls and Lions (of course there are 15 million people in Gauteng).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'll start this post by repeating that I DO NOT believe that the Brumbies should be cut from the competition. Their performances on the field and the tradition that they have established there mean they should absolutely stay in super rugby. It would be a crazy decision to cut them (caveat - decisions are being made by the ARU and SANZAAR, two bodies known for making crazy and illogical decisions).

If it is the Rebels who are cut (and I don't think they should be cut either), it may (and I say MAY) be in the interests of the Brumbies to take in Victoria as part of their area. The Burmbies have proven on-field performance, but Canberra is a public service town, with a much smaller population than Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and far less opportunity to harness corporate support. Access to corporate Melbourne may be win/win? Most games could still be in Canberra - maybe play a couple of SAF games in Melbourne and promote them?

If the Force go, the NRL will put a team there in a minute and Perth would be lost to rugby. Their development structure over there seems pretty good. What's held them back is their coaching appointments.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'll start this post by repeating that I DO NOT believe that the Brumbies should be cut from the competition. Their performances on the field and the tradition that they have established there mean they should absolutely stay in super rugby. It would be a crazy decision to cut them (caveat - decisions are being made by the ARU and SANZAAR, two bodies known for making crazy and illogical decisions).

If it is the Rebels who are cut (and I don't think they should be cut either), it may (and I say MAY) be in the interests of the Brumbies to take in Victoria as part of their area. The Burmbies have proven on-field performance, but Canberra is a public service town, with a much smaller population than Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and far less opportunity to harness corporate support. Access to corporate Melbourne may be win/win? Most games could still be in Canberra - maybe play a couple of SAF games in Melbourne and promote them?

If the Force go, the NRL will put a team there in a minute and Perth would be lost to rugby. Their development structure over there seems pretty good. What's held them back is their coaching appointments.

Irrespective of the Super rugby outcomes, the NRL are highly likely to put a team in there in the coming years. THere's been chatter about it for a while, the NRL have taken club games there, and an Aus/NZ test was played there last year.

Either way they will transfer a fledgeling club, or install a new team. If they transfer, my guess is the Kights (they are in a financial shit street right now).

T

TOCC

I don't think it's stupid at all, in fact I think the ARU should have expanded into Greater Sydney before they went to Perth or Melbourne.. In all other codes the local derbies are some of the highest rating matches..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
NSW Rugby should have put more effort into western Sydney. Penrith has been a failing club on the field for many years and there is no other option for those millions of potential fans to follow. However, the Eastern Sydney Warratahs v the Western Sydney Warriors (as in Warriahs) does have a good sound to it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think it's the best idea proposed in this thread.... imagine the majority of Sydney west of Parramatta branded as Reds country?

Those collars will pop right off!
Don't kid yourself: their territory starts at a line known as the latte line:
IMG_0191.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.