• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaldo

Frank Row (1)
Can we please put to bed the idea that Australian rugby is going to be picked up from the mud by a benevolent and altruistic NZRU. Ain't gunna happen guys.

Totally agree

As Colin Powell said about NZ, they are our "friends but not allies"

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think perhaps NZRU does not want players that are eligible for ABs playing outside the NZ teams maybe because they are worried it will hurt the ABs, not for any perceived problems with Aus rugby. While I can see the upside for Aus rugby, I not sure there enough upside (if any) for NZ because I cannot see any Aus team with NZ players doing anything but flogging them to death coming into or out of a test season, as they would rightly want to get their pound of flesh, I think we all see what happens in French rugby etc with imports.

Dan, exactly what do you mean by this statement? Are you suggesting the NZ players would be subject to additional training workloads? Given the current criticism of the lack of fitness in Aus Super Rugby teams, that would arguably be a good thing if it happened, but really I think it is pie in the sky stuff.

Do you think they would be overloaded with game time? Super Rugby hardly puts a huge workload on the players and there's really not any other opportunities in Aus rugby to get more game time. Not like the European situation where they seem to play at least two games per week.

I am bewildered by this statement to say the least.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan, exactly what do you mean by this statement? Are you suggesting the NZ players would be subject to additional training workloads? Given the current criticism of the lack of fitness in Aus Super Rugby teams, that would arguably be a good thing if it happened, but really I think it is pie in the sky stuff.

Do you think they would be overloaded with game time? Super Rugby hardly puts a huge workload on the players and there's really not any other opportunities in Aus rugby to get more game time. Not like the European situation where they seem to play at least two games per week.

I am bewildered by this statement to say the least.

No BR, I am in no way suggesting that , only suggesting that it would not be in anyway in the interest of an Aus conference to manage the NZ players work load around test time. It wasn't a dig at Aus franchises , not sure if NZ conferences would do it for Aus players either, just the fact of buying in overseas players I tend to think they would get everything out of them they could.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm with Dan on this one. Every time I see stats comparing Super Rugby minutes played the Wob numbers seem to be much higher than the AB. It seems reasonable to me to assume that if Oz Super Rugby sides were to gain the services of potential AB's they'd want to get as many minutes out of them as possible & if that means them reporting for AB duty in less than tip top condition that's not the Oz Super Rugby sides problem.

Anyway it's a bit of a moot point as I really can't see NZRU permitting it unless they absolutely have to which doesn't seem likely in the foreseeable future.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Okay, but who says we would attract potential ABs? Just a few ordinary Keewees would do. Some of that errrrrr magic, trickery, ch**ting, whatever you want to call it, would rub off on us, shirley?

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
big old brad thorn should lace them boots up again, that should put the fire in some up and coming locks to out perform their grandfathers generation. but it seems that is too much competition for spots?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
NRL looking at taking games to Fiji next year. May want to get cracking on the Fijian Super Rugby team.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rk-home-nrl-game-in-fiji-20170726-gxj5vr.html

Has got to happen yet. They've been working on getting a Fijian team in the NSW Cup for the last three years to no avail. Meanwhile despite all the dysfunction at the ARU we've managed to announce and from this year welcome a Fijian side into the NRC.

That said. Yeah, let's get that Fijian Super Rugby team up and running.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Have to admit that only way could see Oz benefit from NZRU if they allowed NZ players playing in oz to be eligible for AB's is if someone like Twiggy or Cox pulled out the cheque book and big bucks to lure quality NZ players pushing for AB selection - rather than just the so so NPC players we currently get like Bachop....seriously what a waste of a spot.

But those big cheque books don't seem to there whilst we are part of this crap Super Rugby competition that increasingly Oz public don't want to be part of. NZ won't be hurt as much perhaps but they definitely will like all feel the pain from next broadcast deal as I personally like many others have zero interest in watching oz teams get flogged by NZ sides and not interested in watching NZ play NZ sides like greater part of oz rugby public. Time for us to get our own competition, even if semi pro, as you can see why club rugby getting big crowds as us Aussies increasingly just disinterested in Super Rugby. And if NZ'ers still get joy out of Super Rugby all good for them and leave it to them with whatever teams left in it after SARU disappears from it over next few years as well.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
NRL N Cricket seem to be in a shit right as well as us soccer could have FIFA called in

The NRL is kept alive with TV money and 9 having paid so much along with News they have to keep the them afloat

Would not worry to much about the NRL N Fiji

Difference is the other fights are about essentially revenue sharing whereas ours is about survival

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Don't you sleep, Half? Staying up all night trying to work out how to save the game, eh???

Sorry, mate, very little we can do about it. Lots of factors just totally outside our provenance.

Concentrate on supporting your local team, whoever it is.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Don't you sleep, Half? Staying up all night trying to work out how to save the game, eh???

Sorry, mate, very little we can do about it. Lots of factors just totally outside our provenance.

Well, that seems incredibly unnecessary.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Have to admit that only way could see Oz benefit from NZRU if they allowed NZ players playing in oz to be eligible for AB's is if someone like Twiggy or Cox pulled out the cheque book and big bucks to lure quality NZ players pushing for AB selection - rather than just the so so NPC players we currently get like Bachop..seriously what a waste of a spot.

But those big cheque books don't seem to there whilst we are part of this crap Super Rugby competition that increasingly Oz public don't want to be part of. NZ won't be hurt as much perhaps but they definitely will like all feel the pain from next broadcast deal as I personally like many others have zero interest in watching oz teams get flogged by NZ sides and not interested in watching NZ play NZ sides like greater part of oz rugby public. Time for us to get our own competition, even if semi pro, as you can see why club rugby getting big crowds as us Aussies increasingly just disinterested in Super Rugby. And if NZ'ers still get joy out of Super Rugby all good for them and leave it to them with whatever teams left in it after SARU disappears from it over next few years as well.
RN, you really do seem to be in the depths of a depression when it comes to rugby atm. Speaking for myself, I remain very much a fan of the Aussie derbies, even with their quality issues, and I won't miss a match between two NZ sides because of the high quality rugby on show. I do get disappointed with the difference in quality when a NZ side plays an Aussie side, but still tune in hoping to see some glimmer of potential for improvement in the Aussie sides while at the same time still getting to see how rugby should be played at the highest level. I would be very interested in a trans Tasman comp if ever it took off.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think anyone has posted that they enjoy games against SA teams or that they stay up to watch the SA games.

Time to send them to Europe, time to tell the kiwis we want trans tasman or nothing.

Rugby championship can sstay the same but otherwise the ARU needs to grow a pair and do it on their own.

And for those who say it will never work, no one thought the A league or Big Bash would work and now look at them.

Even the national netball and basketball leagues has over taken union in the amount of interest it attracts.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I don't think anyone has posted that they enjoy games against SA teams or that they stay up to watch the SA games.

Time to send them to Europe, time to tell the kiwis we want trans tasman or nothing.

Rugby championship can sstay the same but otherwise the ARU needs to grow a pair and do it on their own.

And for those who say it will never work, no one thought the A league or Big Bash would work and now look at them.

Even the national netball and basketball leagues has over taken union in the amount of interest it attracts.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I do, esp V the hard arse Boers on the Highveld.
Despite them always talking themselves up and putting themselves on the same level as the Kiwi's. It has always been us who have been their biggest challenge to overcome to justify their position as NZ's most serious competition. Though the gap to NZ was never as big as it is now.

I remember our first match V SA when they were readmitted was absolutely huge in the buildup. Our fear of losing was way beyond ginormous as their's must have been.
As it turned out we won and life was good.

In saying all that, my greatest preference would be to have our own National comp based around the main clubs in Syd and Bris + a team from each of the other states.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Who didn't think that twenty20 cricket would be as huge a success here as it has been everywhere else? Name some names.

Who said the A-League would struggle? There has always been a huge undertow of domestic interest in soccer. The only challenge was for the domestic competition to hew a careful course between the long standing ethnic rivalries that have hampered the growth of the game here. The clever idea of only having a single teams in a number of geographical locations achieved that.

Do it on our own? Do what, exactly? Throw money at a domestic competition? If the NRC was showing signs of exponential growth, maybe.

Nothing will work until we hit rock bottom, and all stakeholders are willing to make genuine sacrifices, and to undertake genuine cooperation, to save the game as a serious sport in this country.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Who didn't think that twenty20 cricket would be as huge a success here as it has been everywhere else? Name some names.

Who said the A-League would struggle? There has always been a huge undertow of domestic interest in soccer. The only challenge was for the domestic competition to hew a careful course between the long standing ethnic rivalries that have hampered the growth of the game here. The clever idea of only having a single teams in a number of geographical locations achieved that.

Do it on our own? Do what, exactly? Throw money at a domestic competition? If the NRC was showing signs of exponential growth, maybe.

Nothing will work until we hit rock bottom, and all stakeholders are willing to make genuine sacrifices, and to undertake genuine cooperation, to save the game as a serious sport in this country.

Well, the NRC did actually see both grow in attendance and viewership last season. Albeit from a relatively low base. Crowds were up 10% while viewership per game was up 23%.

Considering the NRC as a competition is poorly marketed but has still seen this growth there could be a case for investment in the competition to rectify that situation.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

Overseas in Vietnam 3 hour time difference if you must know.

Status
Not open for further replies.