• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Thanks to Volvo at TWF

SANZAAR is delighted that its major broadcast partners have after due consideration agreed to the restructured format within the existing broadcast agreements. Our broadcast partners are an important stakeholder and their vision for Super Rugby moving forward is the same as ours.”​
Read the full statement below: from GAGR 9/4/17
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/sanzaar-announcement-3-teams-to-be-cut/

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Perhaps the OwnTheForce initiative is one worth pursuing by some, if not all, of the other teams? Especially if there's some other Twiggy Forrest's out there. Seems to me a good way of providing a big injection of funds into the grassroots and at the same time shoring up the financial strength of the teams - and giving thousands of fans a much greater connection to their team in the process.
Do you think there'd be any more money for grass roots?

OtF is raising funds for the pro team only, nothing is going to RugbyWA

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
The FFA are in a lot of bother, being threatened with an intervention from FIFA.
How many sports governing bodies are you familiar with, by the way? I think you will find that other sports have had plenty of problems.

Of course very sport has its problems but I struggle to see how any of the other sports in Australia are at the point where either they may be forced to cancel their major series or there 2nd level competition shows diving crowds and ratings, they are alienating 2 of their growth areas with the aim of killing one entirely and they have lost 2 of the top 3 execs in the past 2 months.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Do you think there'd be any more money for grass roots?

OtF is raising funds for the pro team only, nothing is going to RugbyWA

RWA owns WF.
I'm sure money will go there. What we have learned here over the years is that you cannot trust the ARU to help the WF. The only successful way forward is to produce our own players.
I haven't been to a junior game all season, and I go every week, where there have not been 2 or more Force players there walking around helping to coach the juniors during their games.
A small thing I know but currently the big focus is on building and supporting junior and club rugby.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Thanks to Volvo at TWF
SANZAAR is delighted that its major broadcast partners have after due consideration agreed to the restructured format within the existing broadcast agreements. Our broadcast partners are an important stakeholder and their vision for Super Rugby moving forward is the same as ours.”

Read the full statement below: from GAGR 9/4/17
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/sanzaar-announcement-3-teams-to-be-cut/

Well, you just have to laugh at that don't you.

The only response from the ARU is obviously we didn't mean that it was the existing broadcast agreement ...

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Well, you just have to laugh at that don't you.

The only response from the ARU is obviously we didn't mean that it was the existing broadcast agreement .

Yeah regardless of the outcome it seems pretty clear the ARU is imo completely devoid of integrity.
And by association and by their silence so are the board members.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
RWA owns WF.
I'm sure money will go there. What we have learned here over the years is that you cannot trust the ARU to help the WF. The only successful way forward is to produce our own players.
I haven't been to a junior game all season, and I go every week, where there have not been 2 or more Force players there walking around helping to coach the juniors during their games.
A small thing I know but currently the big focus is on building and supporting junior and club rugby.
Have a read of the Own the force prospectus.

WRA was broke last year, multi-million dollar in the hole. The reason they remain solvent is they sold their pro-rugby assets to the ARU (for $4.8m?)

The OtF funds are being raised to operate the pro team in the future and buy back the IP and Super Rugby license from the ARU who currently own the team and employ the Force's administrators, coaches and players.

There's no money there for grass roots (at least on the surface)

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)

WRA was broke last year, multi-million dollar in the hole. The reason they remain solvent is they sold their pro-rugby assets to the ARU (for $4.8m?)

The OtF funds are being raised to operate the pro team in the future and buy back the IP and Super Rugby license from the ARU who currently own the team and employ the Force's administrators, coaches and players.

Fair enough, but surely that is a short term goal to save the WF. Then junior rugby, our survival depends on it, priorities I guess.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Isn't Own the Force up to $8.5 mill? Enough to buy everything back, spend on grass roots and slip the ARU a lazy million to help them cover the costs of booting the Rebels.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Isn't Own the Force up to $8.5 mill? Enough to buy everything back, spend on grass roots and slip the ARU a lazy million to help them cover the costs of booting the Rebels.
Depends how much capital they'll have to spend each year to operate the team. Given recent history, I'd image they'll want a bit of a buffer in the bank

Edit I should add I hope they can reinvest health surpluses back into RWA for many decades to come

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

<snip>

There are two different things here, Strewthcobber, albeit linked.

You're right that the Own the Force funding campaign is for professional rugby - The Force.

But there is also Forrest's philanthropic interest-free loan scheme for supporters who cannot otherwise buy a share. Moneys paid back from that scheme will go to RugbyWA, and will include funding to grassroots.

… But the fact that members of the public would realise that by purchasing a $1000 share, they effectively will be giving $2000 worth of aid to RugbyWA, which might mean many other potential shareholders will come forth.
Certainly the scheme fits neatly with Forrest’s intention to be an enabler who finds solutions rather than a mere cheque-writer, although filling in the fine details to his grand plans sometimes takes some doing.
“This has been exercising our minds all morning about how this will all work logistically,” said Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry, who was delighted at the initiative, which will result in half of the money invested going to grassroots rugby

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Europe is a goer.

The worst kept secret in rugby was revealed today.

The Guinness Pro14 officially confirmed as Cheetahs and Kings join from South Africa
10 minutes ago 2,982 Views​
CELTIC RUGBY AND the South Africa Rugby Union have finally confirmed that the Toyota Cheetahs and Southern Kings will join the competition in time for the upcoming season.​
The announcement has been teased for weeks but was only made official in a statement released by the newly rebranded Guinness Pro14 this morning.​
In the statement, it says the new structure is just the first phase of expansion as the Guinness Pro14 “becomes a truly global tournament.”​

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There are two different things here, Strewthcobber, albeit linked.

Youre right that the Own the Force funding campaign is for professional rugby - The Force.

But there is also Forrest's philanthropic interest-free loan scheme for supporters who cannot otherwise buy a share. Moneys paid back from that scheme will go to RugbyWA, and will include funding to grassroots.

… But the fact that members of the public would realise that by purchasing a $1000 share, they effectively will be giving $2000 worth of aid to RugbyWA, which might mean many other potential shareholders will come forth.
Certainly the scheme fits neatly with Forrest’s intention to be an enabler who finds solutions rather than a mere cheque-writer, although filling in the fine details to his grand plans sometimes takes some doing.
“This has been exercising our minds all morning about how this will all work logistically,” said Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry, who was delighted at the initiative, which will result in half of the money invested going to grassroots rugby
That does change things. Haven't kept up with Twiggys deal

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
That does change things. Haven't kept up with Twiggys deal

I think it's really positive. Hopefully the Force will be around for WA rugby to reap the benefits.

While it's not a magic bullet or panacea, I wouldn't mind seeing this type of "Own the team" campaign spread to other Australian rugby franchises. Perhaps the Rebels might be interested. Fans can own and control part (or all) of their team and some fan representatives get a say in the running of it.

And if other philanthropic benefactors copy the Twiggy loan scheme as well, then even better.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it's really positive. Hopefully the Force will be around for WA rugby to reap the benefits.

While it's not a magic bullet or panacea, I wouldn't mind seeing this type of "Own the team" campaign spread to other Australian rugby franchises. Perhaps the Rebels might be interested. Fans can own and control part (or all) of their team and some fan representatives get a say in the running of it.

And if other philanthropic benefactors copy the Twiggy loan scheme as well, then even better.

With the own the force campaign and support of Twiggy loan scheme effectively doubling funds available, and broader support Twiggy pledging I just don't see how now it is in the ARU's interests to jettison the Force as they are effectively now financially set up very well, having the backing of one of the most high profile and respected billionaires who rugby has been dreaming about having for so long. And then of course we have great grass roots initiatives like Future Force etc and fact grass roots in WA rugby thriving.

I just can't see how the ARU could possibly allow the Force to be cut as it would be such a stain on Rugby and probably the final downfall for the ARU. I get cutting a team but the Force and backing of Twiggy as made this almost suicidal for OZ rugby to turn off what Twiggy offering. The ARU should be embracing Twiggy and his backing of the Force and seeing the bigger picture here.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Yes been clear half the funds will go to grass roots. And now expected to be much more than $8.5m (could be up to double as waiting to see details on how TF's loan scheme will work and whether pledging to offer to all who apply).

Status
Not open for further replies.