• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Discussion of a new international competition..interesting..new Asian pacific competition one hopes.

Please Cameron just keep the dialogue with TF open as he offers a lot that oz rugby has been desperate for which is a well respected billionaire, with strong business connections and money ready to provide for Australian rugby. The general oz rugby public dont' want to turn our backs on WA and the Force so lets make sure this international competition includes them please. National footprint - you bet - that is what most fans want.

You know what I do appreciate is the implications for the ARU going back to SANZAAR saying we decided to not cut a team vs legally we were unable to, might be what they are hoping from at this point. As just a thought that implications if went against SANZAAR wishes could be significant legal implications....gees the ARU is facing potential legal actions all over the place - WA rugby (via TF funded), WA Govt and SANZAAR....

B

BLR

Ok, so hypothetically if RugbyWA lose the right to an appeal the WA Government could sue for damages, the process could be investigated by the Senate and the Force could start an Asian League with the backing of the ARU and use the money saved that would have otherwise gone to bankroll the ARU to buy the best talent in Australia and overseas.

All while being sanctioned by the ARU.

Beauty, let's do that.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ok, so hypothetically if RugbyWA lose the right to an appeal the WA Government could sue for damages, the process could be investigated by the Senate and the Force could start an Asian League with the backing of the ARU and use the money saved that would have otherwise gone to bankroll the ARU to buy the best talent in Australia and overseas.

All while being sanctioned by the ARU.

Beauty, let's do that.

I have no idea what the ARU's gameplan and rationale is for heading down this path - but hopefully there is some plan where Oz rugby fans are happier than the current shite predicament we find ourselves in

As I don't know about everyone else but I am hoping for some magic outcome out of this - like Force reinstated.....TF provides $100m to oz grassroots foundation......and we have a plan to get out of Super Rugby (ok guys who met today in Adelaide tell us more about this new international competition....)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Is anyone really surpised that Clyne, Eales and Robinson rejected any compromise out of hand?

If so, I have a bridge to sell you. Reasonable price, only one owner. Price neg.

Gallery_harbourbridge2_1.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have no idea what the ARU's gameplan and rationale is for heading down this path - but hopefully there is some plan where Oz rugby fans are happier than the current shite predicament we find ourselves in

As I don't know about everyone else but I am hoping for some magic outcome out of this - like Force reinstated...TF provides $100m to oz grassroots foundation..and we have a plan to get out of Super Rugby (ok guys who met today in Adelaide tell us more about this new international competition..)

You're assuming that the ARU has a plan beyond self-preservation (of board members and cronies)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The more this has gone on and the more that we seen occurring with our young players, surely it must be obvious that Australia must get out of super rugby ASAP.

We're in a bad situation and the only way out is to be in complete control of our own destiny.

The Angus Crichton situation has made me more convinced that ever of this.

We need a national league of between 5 and 8 teams - my preference is 8 loosly based on the 8 NRC teams, but I'd settle for the 5 super teams or something in between.

There needs to be something to keep guys like Crichton in rugby. One of the reasons that we went from 3 to 4 to 5 was to do so, but we still seem unable to retain these guys.

Depending on the final model of the national league, there needs to be somewhere for our best 20s to play at a semi-professional level. If we have a 8 team national league based on NRC, they'll probably get a spot there, If we go with the 5 team model based on super teams, then we need to have some sort of elite 20s competition for these guys to play in.

Our youth and player identification and development systems seem to be getting worse, not better. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that at the moment, there is no system, all there is are ad hoc decisions made without any form of objective criteria being applied.

As I said when Pulver was first appointed as CEO, his most important task was to set out a logical plaer development pathway from 6s to the Wallabies. He (and the ARU and the state RUs) have failed miserably at this. I'd even say that the situation at the moment is worse than it has ever been.

No plan
No idea
No structure
No accountability

Forget playing against Kiwi teams. Forget saying that the standard of rugby in Australia will decrease if we split from super rugby. The standard has been dropping for at least a decade. We need above all to consolidate what we have left and then work out a bottom to top system in which we can (a) have as many kids playing rugby as possible (b) retain as many as possible (c) bring as many as possible on to senior level (not pick winners at 17 or 18) (d) attract young talent from other sports (e) make rugby attractive to supporters and participants at all levels

Rant over.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
From a SMH article....

"Although disappointed, Forrest said he was pleased the ARU outlined its commitment to working with the Force to develop a new international competition based in Western Australia."

TF providing the ARU with their Plan B.............that is a positive.....

Think about it - ARU must know Super Rugby doomed as even the village idiot would know that...so get TF working on new comp involving the Force which ARU will support and yep TF will fund...smart man...sorry Cameron being the banker may be smarter yet for oz rugby than one thinks....and yes that is just a hopeful comment because oz rugby would be the beneficiary if that was true....

Reactions: dru

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From a SMH article..

"Although disappointed, Forrest said he was pleased the ARU outlined its commitment to working with the Force to develop a new international competition based in Western Australia."

TF providing the ARU with their Plan B.....that is a positive...

Think about it - ARU must know Super Rugby doomed as even the village idiot would know that.so get TF working on new comp involving the Force which ARU will support and yep TF will fund.smart man.sorry Cameron being the banker may be smarter yet for oz rugby than one thinks..and yes that is just a hopeful comment because oz rugby would be the beneficiary if that was true..

You've just insulted village idiots everywhere.:)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Part of the problem of retention QH is the preferential treatment some players have got with contracts, regardless of actual performance. Here I specifically think of Folau, Genia, Beale, Elsom and others.

I look at players like Kimlin and Mowen who left Australian Rugby without ever representing the country as often as their actual form and performance in Super Rugby deserved. No instead they bring back Elsom on a preferential deal and make him Captain. A move that whilst to the letter of the "rules" was against the spirit of those rules and undermined the integrity of the system. Why would up and coming players hang around in Rugby if they had other options in League (unavailable for most if they are Props or 2nd row), especially if the coaches and contracting people play favourites.

How may Gills have left Australia? I have never bought the argument we don't have the depth to field strong sides, its just we can't keep the players and not just because of money.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Watching kick and chase tonight and interview with kids and asking who their favourite player was - Israel Folau...

Israel high profile in 3 codes...yeh I get it that rugby wise my dispute his pay...but marketing wise on top no brainer....and suggest this is what professional sports about....

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Part of the problem of retention QH is the preferential treatment some players have got with contracts, regardless of actual performance. Here I specifically think of Folau, Genia, Beale, Elsom and others.

I look at players like Kimlin and Mowen who left Australian Rugby without ever representing the country as often as their actual form and performance in Super Rugby deserved. No instead they bring back Elsom on a preferential deal and make him Captain. A move that whilst to the letter of the "rules" was against the spirit of those rules and undermined the integrity of the system. Why would up and coming players hang around in Rugby if they had other options in League (unavailable for most if they are Props or 2nd row), especially if the coaches and contracting people play favourites.

How may Gills have left Australia? I have never bought the argument we don't have the depth to field strong sides, its just we can't keep the players and not just because of money.

You could make a list the length of your arm with players like this. Your observation re preferential treatment is true in all aspects of rugby in Australia.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Watching kick and chase tonight and interview with kids and asking who their favourite player was - Israel Folau.

Israel high profile in 3 codes.yeh I get it that rugby wise my dispute his pay.but marketing wise on top no brainer..and suggest this is what professional sports about..

No. Profile is a factor of publicity and marketting. It used to be a factor of actual performance. Now in the world of the Kardashians and YouTube "reviewers" people are famous for being famous and don't actually perform at anything except being a famous person.

If Professional Rugby is to become so vacuous and players are getting contracts on this basis there is no future.

Reactions: dru
B

BLR

Israel high profile in 3 codes.yeh I get it that rugby wise my dispute his pay.but marketing wise on top no brainer..and suggest this is what professional sports about..

That's fine, but then you have a player like Nick Cummins who made his own cult following from nothing.

I am sure there are plenty of players out there who, if you threw a bob at the marketing team, could be made into a legitimate star.

Put the players through 'being a good bloke' classes and select and play players on merit. ;)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Picture of Clyne, Eales and Robinson arriving for the meeting.

3-stooges.jpg

Twiggy has two years to get this embryonic Asia competition off the ground as by then the ARU and Super Rugby will be dead and dusted. Super teams join Asia and ARU wound up and replaced.

New Zealand can just play themselves because they will always, always be too good for a competition with Asian teams. Not so much Australia.

M

Moono75

Not sold on the merits of a competition involving Asia where you aren't playing NZ or SA teams. You want to test yourselves against the best and what class of player would be attracted. Would they use it as a means of playing WA Force academy players and then have them siphoned off to the East Coast to play SRugby.

B

BLR

Would they use it as a means of playing WA Force academy players and then have them siphoned off to the East Coast to play SRugby.

I don't think that would be acceptable. Talent should have the option to spend their entire careers in their home team if they so wish.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not sold on the merits of a competition involving Asia where you aren't playing NZ or SA teams. You want to test yourselves against the best and what class of player would be attracted. Would they use it as a means of playing WA Force academy players and then have them siphoned off to the East Coast to play SRugby.

I don't think it was his first choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.