• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
why would this be presented?
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/a/36811208/western-force-wins-right-to-appeal-axing/
not exactly a point of law.

From sh tina tina(GAGR poster)

That then lead the discussion about the "at least" term used in the "renegotiated" agreement - being "at least 15 teams" not stipulating it couldn't be more than 15, just that it had to be 15 at the least.

It might be relevant to an argument about a point of law. Doesn't seem like it though.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
It might be relevant to an argument about a point of law. Doesn't seem like it though.

yeah, in reading shtina tina comments again on TWF, it seems it is about the definition of terms in the alliance agreement. The no of teams is not directly relevant juts the "at least"

fyi, another interesting comment by the judge was(from STT) about vagueness.

Justice Hammerschlag - Did anyone argue this as invalid due to vagueness? Re: the alliance agreement clause 2 and its extras.

ARU tying to define the "negotiation" and "termination" meanings of the alliance agreement.

More so it was in favour of the Force & that the ARU were vague in the alliance agreement clauses

Negotiation a consensual agreement from the parties. Termination at the others will. Judge is trying to figure out the meanings & how the arbitrator got to their decision, which were vaguely defined and didn't have the evidence of how the conclusions were reached.

The Judge is discussing the terms terminated & its finality & negotiated & the clause it's in the alliance agreemen

ARU has 6 volumes of stuff. Keep getting he judge to change to different volumes...think of all the trees!
In the agreements there's reference to "at least" in reference to numbers of teams, games etc. the Judge keeps bringing this up ( in a good way in relation to the Force)​

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
^^^^^
Won't be the subject of the appeal. As discussed earlier in the thread, an appeal is allowed where a law has, potentially, been incorrectly interpreted or applied.

I don't think whether they acted in good faith has much to do with whether they have the contractual right to remove the force.

It's not an appeal though. This is a first instance case where it appears from reports that WARU will argue that the ARU acted outside the terms of the agreement and therefore breached that agreement. What utility WARU is seeking is the most intriguing aspect.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's not an appeal though. This is a first instance case where it appears from reports that WARU will argue that the ARU acted outside the terms of the agreement and therefore breached that agreement. What utility WARU is seeking is the most intriguing aspect.

It is an appeal. Arbitration is a legally binding process where a qualified arbitrater is, by agreement from both parties, appointed to determine the matter.

If a party thinks the arbitrater erred in his or her application of the law then they can apply to the relevant court to appeal. If they are granted the right to appeal then the matter is heard.

The appeal has to relate to something in the arbitrators determination, generally speaking the incorrect application of a law.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^
Won't be the subject of the appeal. As discussed earlier in the thread, an appeal is allowed where a law has, potentially, been incorrectly interpreted or applied.

I don't think whether they acted in good faith has much to do with whether they have the contractual right to remove the force.

That's pretty much what I thought (but wouldn't it be fun watching Clyne, Pulver & Co. squirming on the hook they made for themselves?), so do we know the actual point(s) of law on which today's judge thinks they have the right to be heard?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I've read 'vagueness' of the contract, definitions of certain clauses such as negotiation and termination.

Hard to say, but we'll know in quite a lot of detail what the appeal was about once the judgment is published.

Was the Force agreement made public?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Not to shit on TF as I don't really know the guy and his achievements, but after Tinkler and Palmer I have my doubts over another big dollars guy coming into sport and building something from scratch.

TF is a little different to Tinkler/Palmer - his shareholding in FMG AU is worth over A$6bn (and company is trading on a low 7x PE multiple - BHP 19x, Rio 15x). Twiggy will shortly received a dividend cheque for over A$250mn.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
That's pretty much what I thought (but wouldn't it be fun watching Clyne, Pulver & Co. squirming on the hook they made for themselves?), so do we know the actual point(s) of law on which today's judge thinks they have the right to be heard?
Just on timing. He heard them today and will ponder and return his verdict, probably next week.
Seems judge doesn't mess around though, granted leave then heard it same day - but that might be common, only had a couple visits to court and not on the scale :)

B

BLR

So what's the deal with the Judge not being able to find the reasoning behind the arbitrations decision?

Seems to be quite strange to me there isn't a formal explanation on hand.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
It was, Judge obviously expedited. Booking a judge is a massive hassle. If hes got time and the parties agree it can just get done.

yeah it was pre arranged that if the appeal ap got up it would be heard directly after. This from some article last week.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
At the moment I am trying to decide which is depressing me more?

The ARU or the NBN?

The NBN is ahead, but only marginally.

However, according to my ISP, the problem has been with Telstra who is about to install a whole bunch of new parts in the exchange. One of them is some kind of circuit board thingo. Like a brain sort of thing. You know, like a thing that has to think and decide where to send everything.

Unfortunately, there are no parts that can be replaced in the ARU to fix the problem. No circuit boards. No new intelligent gadget that makes clever decisions.

Sigh. My first world problems are killing me here. I need a lie-down.

B

BLR

Unfortunately, there are no parts that can be replaced in the ARU to fix the problem. No circuit boards. No new intelligent gadget that makes clever decisions.

From what I understand if the appeal is won by RugbyWA the entire ARU board will resign.

We can rebuild and learn from the mistakes. Rip out them copper wiring and lay the newest of fibre optics straight to the premises!

Status
Not open for further replies.