• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Reds v Tahs was the biggest super rugby crowd of 2017

yes you are right. But the games V kiwi teams are only just behind. And the games V other Aus teams are far less in crowd numbers. My mind does not do details so that is the extent of my research. The crowd numbers for the derbies and now including the Sunwolves will be interesting from a revenue perspective.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
yes you are right. But the games V kiwi teams are only just behind. And the games V other Aus teams are far less in crowd numbers. My mind does not do details so that is the extent of my research. The crowd numbers for the derbies and now including the Sunwolves will be interesting from a revenue perspective.

Given trends since the peak of 2003 (down season on season) and the worst ever performances of the Aus teams last season, i would expect a continuation of the historical decline. I can't see yet another change in format saving attendances.

I'm interested to see how Argentina address their rapid descent internationally. I would expect them to loosen eligibility pretty soon. If they do you'd imagine that would have a pretty detrimental impact on the already underwhelming Jaguares.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Given trends since the peak of 2003 (down season on season) and the worst ever performances of the Aus teams last season, i would expect a continuation of the historical decline. I can't see yet another change in format saving attendances.

I'm interested to see how Argentina address their rapid descent internationally. I would expect them to loosen eligibility pretty soon. If they do you'd imagine that would have a pretty detrimental impact on the already underwhelming Jaguares.

I'm not sure what you mean re eligibility? They were the main drivers of the new 5yr rule. And at the last RWC they were the only team, I think, made up of all or mostly all home grown players and not the 3yr eligible players seen in a lot of teams. This goes hand in hand with your French RWC application article?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not sure what you mean re eligibility? They were the main drivers of the new 5yr rule. And at the last RWC they were the only team, I think, made up of all or mostly all home grown players and not the 3yr eligible players seen in a lot of teams. This goes hand in hand with your French RWC application article?

Pretty sure they are only selecting locally based players, i.e. Jaguares players. Meaning people like Facundo Isa etc can't play. It's making them a bit shit.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I agree. Surely it's time to move on though.

We've known the competition was likely to have 15 teams for 2018 since about April.

It's hard to have a constructive discussion about the 2018 competition if everything is framed around what the preferred structure would have been.

BH - you were suggesting there was a specific benefit due to the 15 team structure - which IMO was arrogating strength unrelated to the claim. I see you agree that far.

This thread was predisposed, at least in part, around concern with the ARU direction. I acknowledge your efforts to move on and have discussion turn to a clean sheet, but the thread has not (yet) been re-named "Where to for Super Rugby for those who are prepared to ignore 2017".

I would have thought this thread was the perfect place for voicing on-going concern about Super Rugby and it's direction. And to hold the ARU and SANZAAR to account for their extraordinary actions. Super Rugby 2018 success is far from obvious at this stage.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty sure they are only selecting locally based players, i.e. Jaguares players. Meaning people like Facundo Isa etc can't play. It's making them a bit shit.

I think Argentina will have to revisit that criteria soon, but will need to have clauses added so they don't lose all their players back up north.

They would definitely be a far more formidable side if they had some of their Euro players on board........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH - you were suggesting there was a specific benefit due to the 15 team structure - which IMO was arrogating strength unrelated to the claim. I see you agree that far.

This thread was predisposed, at least in part, around concern with the ARU direction. I acknowledge your efforts to move on and have discussion turn to a clean sheet, but the thread has not (yet) been re-named "Where to for Super Rugby for those who are prepared to ignore 2017".

I would have thought this thread was the perfect place for voicing on-going concern about Super Rugby and it's direction. And to hold the ARU and SANZAAR to account for their extraordinary actions. Super Rugby 2018 success is far from obvious at this stage.

I guess I don't really see the point of criticising the 2018 draw which has been the recent topic of conversation after it was released yesterday on the basis that it only has 15 teams and/or doesn't have the Force in it.

The last 100-200 pages of the thread have been criticism of the reduction to 15 teams and the removal of the Force.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Should we make a new thread to discuss Super Rugby 2018 and this thread can continue along with the existing theme?

Please!

i understand people wanting to moan and groan about everything, but it's starting to move away from the things that should be moaned and groaned about (eg. the shocking manner in which the cull was handled) to people just moaning about everything and anything. Starting to become a habit. It'd be nice to have a constructive thread for next season, no matter the obvious misgivings of SANZAAR, RUP, ARU etc

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I guess I don't really see the point of criticising the 2018 draw which has been the recent topic of conversation after it was released yesterday on the basis that it only has 15 teams and/or doesn't have the Force in it.

The last 100-200 pages of the thread have been criticism of the reduction to 15 teams and the removal of the Force.

I hope that you can see that my criticism has nothing to do with the axing of the Force but is totally addressing the inherent weaknesses of the existing S15 schedule. My criticisms are essentially that a) there will be no additional Derby games, and b) that there will be an additional game per Aus franchise against non-Aus sides. I haven't done the analysis as far as travel is concerned but I would guess that there won't be much difference for our teams, and a large number of games will again be in time-unfriendly timeslots. I cannot see how this structured competition will do anything to revive the game in this country. See, no mention of the Force.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
but is totally addressing the inherent weaknesses of the existing S15 schedule. My criticisms are essentially that a) there will be no additional Derby games, and

You play the four other sides in your conference home and away.

For South Africa and Australia that includes a side that isn't from your country.

Were you expecting something different?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You play the four other sides in your conference home and away.

For South Africa and Australia that includes a side that isn't from your country.

Were you expecting something different?

I think the majority of fans were expecting a schedule that had proportionately more Derby games and most of the games in time-friendly slots with far less travel. None of these factors have been achieved with this S15 schedule, while it is also obvious we could have maintained the status quo in these matters had we continued with five Aus franchises. It is demonstrably an issue of the wool being pulled across our collective eyes once again. But I accept that there is a core of ARU cheer squad posters on the site who can see no evil when it comes to matters relating to the ARU and associated issues.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I hope that you can see that my criticism has nothing to do with the axing of the Force but is totally addressing the inherent weaknesses of the existing S15 schedule. My criticisms are essentially that a) there will be no additional Derby games, and b) that there will be an additional game per Aus franchise against non-Aus sides. I haven't done the analysis as far as travel is concerned but I would guess that there won't be much difference for our teams, and a large number of games will again be in time-unfriendly timeslots. I cannot see how this structured competition will do anything to revive the game in this country. See, no mention of the Force.

In theory teams will only disappear for two maybe three weeks meaning that for at least 13 weeks of the schedule they'll be in more beneficial time zones for domestic fans. Whether this has any actual effect remains to be seen. I suspect it won't and this is more just a placeholder until 2020. What annoys me is that they could have achieve something like this without the need to gut the Force. To me it makes logical sense for the Sunwolves to be in our conference and for the Jaguares to have been in the NZ conference with the six SA franchises in their own conference. Anyway. Interestingly the SARU have just announced the creation of two new franchises set for the end of this year. Taking their total number to 8. Apparently they'll compete in the Anglo-Welsh Cup or something similar up north.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think the majority of fans were expecting a schedule that had proportionately more Derby games and most of the games in time-friendly slots with far less travel. None of these factors have been achieved with this S15 schedule, while it is also obvious we could have maintained the status quo in these matters had we continued with five Aus franchises. It is demonstrably an issue of the wool being pulled across our collective eyes once again. But I accept that there is a core of ARU cheer squad posters on the site who can see no evil when it comes to matters relating to the ARU and associated issues.

Mate, I'm no ARU apologist but how did you think this schedule would pan out regarding the derbies when we cut one of our franchises. Unless they play each other three times without the Force they were never going to increase those numbers. As in my other post I figure we'll 13 games a season in more beneficial time zones. Not great but okay. I guess. No worse but certainly no better.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Mate, I'm no ARU apologist but how did you think this schedule would pan out regarding the derbies when we cut one of our franchises.

Come on WCR. It's not the fan's issue when he asks why a claimed advantage hasn't been achieved. The fact that a fail was obvious does not change responsibility from the ARU/SANZAAR to the customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.