• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I reckon the crossover of fans is so small.

If you asked everyone on this forum how many A League games they watched a year or asked an A League forum how many rugby games they watched a year I reckon the numbers would be almost zero.

There would be some crossover watching the big international matches.

I think either FFA or RA could shut up shop tomorrow and it barely register financially for the other organisation.

We do think so differently. It would cancel all existing broadcast deals and most sponsorship's would be cancelled as well. Getting that support back would be a huge effort.

Plus a few would drift across.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do you genuinely think rugby and soccer share a lot of serious fans?

I agree that there would be sponsorship dollars available but most of the headline ones wouldn't be that relevant under exclusivity deals.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
You're discussing this with one BH! (half)

I reckon there's a fair bit of crossover between soccer and union fans - but there's not that much crossover between A-League and Super Rugby fans.

That's more of a reflection of how popular the two competitions are though

half

Alan Cameron (40)

I agree that there would be sponsorship dollars available but most of the headline ones wouldn't be that relevant under exclusivity deals.

A few but not many aside from International Matches.

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT, if FIFA suspends Australia, then the A-League is fucked as players don't play in non FIFA leagues as they get banned from playing in FIFA leagues.

THUS THUS THUS, media and sponsorship would disappear overnight and that media space and those sponsorship dollars would flow to other codes and we would share in that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You're discussing this with one BH!

I reckon there's a fair bit of crossover between soccer and union fans - but there's not that much crossover between A-League and Super Rugby fans.

That's more of a reflection of how popular the two competitions are though

I should have probably said A League. I'll watch some Socceroos games (and attended one last year), used to watch some EPL games (Arsenal) when they were on Foxtel. I would classify myself as a sports tragic though.

By serious fans I mean someone who is choosing each year whether they buy an A League membership or a Super Rugby membership because they can't commit to both.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I should have probably said A League. I'll watch some Socceroos games (and attended one last year), used to watch some EPL games (Arsenal) when they were on Foxtel. I would classify myself as a sports tragic though.

By serious fans I mean someone who is choosing each year whether they buy an A League membership or a Super Rugby membership because they can't commit to both.

By the Holy Mother of Mary, have you read what I posted, I am not talking about fans and ratings.

I am talking about
1] Extra media space
2] Loss by broadcasters of media product.
3] Sponsor's looking to promote their products via sport.

A fourth is winning back the above.

Rugby along with other codes would get a % of these things that soccer will loose.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
By the Holy Mother of Mary, have you read what I posted, I am not talking about fans and ratings.

I am talking about
1] Extra media space
2] Loss by broadcasters of media product.
3] Sponsor's looking to promote their products via sport.

A fourth is winning back the above.

Rugby along with other codes would get a % of these things that soccer will loose.

I was replying to another post. I wasn't trying to address what you wrote.

There would be some extra competition for the limited content but I'm not sure that means current broadcasters just throw more dollars at existing comps.

I think the biggest change would be sponsors looking for opportunities but it would be limited in the short term (which would presumably be all it would last for). I can't imagine the NRL, AFL or RA can sign a car sponsor because they have exclusive deals already so they wouldn't be able to take on Hyundai as a sponsor for example.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
A few but not many aside from International Matches.

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT, if FIFA suspends Australia, then the A-League is fucked as players don't play in non FIFA leagues as they get banned from playing in FIFA leagues.

-sigh- Ok, who does the FFA have to bribe to make sure that doesn't happen?

If I lose the Glory too, I'll be seriously pissed.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
According to an article in today's SMH, there are 33 million rugby fans in China.

Staggering if true.

I do know that 7s has done alright on Chinese TV in the past as did the last RWC. But this survey looked at people's interest in the game and this has since been taken by media as them being fans. There is a difference. I'm interested in hockey in so far as I'll watch it if it's on TV or if it's easily accessible online but I wouldn't call myself an active fan.

Similar to many in this survey. So how it's being reported is misleading.

However, I do think it does provide positive signs for Rugby in that it's easier to convert someone interest to that of an active fan than it is to start from scratch. You just need the provide them with the right vessel to achieve that.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
According to an article in today's SMH, there are 33 million rugby fans in China.

Staggering if true.
As to what constittutes fans would be interesting... but rugby is growing in China from a low base and could really grow if the $100m planned investment is fair dinkum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
As to what constittutes fans would be interesting. but rugby is growing in China from a low base and could really grow if the $100m planned investment is fair dinkum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the methodology which can be found at the bottom of the WR (World Rugby) article anyone who responded as 'very interested' or 'interested' were considered fans. That accounts for the 338m fans. The rest fall under the 'little interested' category.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rugby in China is very present in expat communities but I think it's more based around events, tournaments, and tours, rather than week-to-week club comps.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
According to the methodology which can be found at the bottom of the WR (World Rugby) article anyone who responded as 'very interested' or 'interested' were considered fans. That accounts for the 338m fans. The rest fall under the 'little interested' category.

The research was probably conducted by the same company that conducts the AFL membership figures haha.

It is a poorly designed survey and doesn't account for robustness, how many people were actually surveyed, where they were surveyed and how these people were weighted to represent the respective populations. Market research 101

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The research was probably conducted by the same company that conducts the AFL membership figures haha.

It is a poorly designed survey and doesn't account for robustness, how many people were actually surveyed, where they were surveyed and how these people were weighted to represent the respective populations. Market research 101

Apparently it's the same methodology used by a number of international bodies to determine interest. Clearly they wouldn't have spoken to everyone of the population in each of the 36 countries the survey was conducted in. It probably used a similar method as with polling companies which only require something like 1500 respondents to extrapolate the overall percentage in say a two party preferred poll.

Should note that I'm not saying they only spoke to 1500 people in this case. I was talking about our domestic polling companies and how they come to their determinations.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting question, from a business friend, we discussed, recent changes to the business he works for.

Moreover we chatted about changing business models and product offerings in general.

We where not talking about rugby. He made for me a comment that could equally apply to Australian Rugby and its operating model of Super Rugby.

He said there can be no change without risk, but insisting on no risk or little risk to change always results in disaster. As you can reach a point when you must change and its normally rushed and a lot of damage has been done in waiting so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.