• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
If the biggest problem with South Africa is the time zone. Why can't they play games at times friendly to the visiting side?

If we could play a game at 12:00 midday in Johannesburg if would be 8:00 pm EST in Sydney, and for all Aus teams. Much better for TV in AUS.

In reverse it doesn't matter as much, because Aus games would be in the middle of the day in SA. Not the middle of the night.

I understand it may have a negative effect on SA viewing and crowds but perhaps the net benefit by picking up viewers in AUS and NZ will benefit the whole comp.

And wouldn't it help if NZ games kicked off at 6.

So hard to catch those games especially on a Friday.

Just some random thoughts.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
If the biggest problem with South Africa is the time zone. Why can't they play games at times friendly to the visiting side?

If we could play a game at 12:00 midday in Johannesburg if would be 8:00 pm EST in Sydney, and for all Aus teams. Much better for TV in AUS.

In reverse it doesn't matter as much, because Aus games would be in the middle of the day in SA. Not the middle of the night.

I understand it may have a negative effect on SA viewing and crowds but perhaps the net benefit by picking up viewers in AUS and NZ will benefit the whole comp.

well, what is the viewship for SA games? would it be worth it? For me, I am fine watching a Friday night game at 5.30 EST and same again Sat, gives me time to go out later and not bother with the almost non existent Aus games

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
I have a kiwi mate who complains that any non-nz game is on at a bad time for them. Oz games kick off at 9.45/10pm and SA games at 1am or 3am.

So I think we get a pretty good deal with 5.30pm games followed by our 7.45pm game.

My biggest complaint is that we don’t fill the 7.30 slot every fri and sat. nz never leave these slots empty

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have a kiwi mate who complains that any non-nz game is on at a bad time for them. Oz games kick off at 9.45/10pm and SA games at 1am or 3am.

So I think we get a pretty good deal with 5.30pm games followed by our 7.45pm game.

My biggest complaint is that we don’t fill the 7.30 slot every fri and sat. nz never leave these slots empty
Totally agree

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Yep HB, then no doubt you would want Aus games to kick off at 5 so it good for NZ viewers!! Surely you don't really think everything just revolves around our viewing pleasure.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep HB, then no doubt you would want Aus games to kick off at 5 so it good for NZ viewers!! Surely you don't really think everything just revolves around our viewing pleasure.

What “revolves around our viewing pleasure” are viewing numbers, TV ratings, broadcast $, ability to invest in the game, future of pro rugby.

It isn’t unimportant.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm curious regards Castles pretty steadfast assertion that Super rugby will continue post 2021, yet freely admitting that the broadcast $'s will not be there.
And just as curious with less money, now all of a sudden fta and different viewing platforms are all up for grabs, and why is this always done behind back doors, guarantee you they will sign of on some new format without any consultation. Just release some updated mission statement.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What “revolves around our viewing pleasure” are viewing numbers, TV ratings, broadcast $, ability to invest in the game, future of pro rugby.

It isn’t unimportant.

Oh I agree Dru, but it just as important for NZ and SA, my comment was tongue in cheek to Badger who seemed to indicate all games should be played at primetime in Aus and bugger NZ and SA (sure he didn't really mean that), the one thing we have to be aware that 7.30 kick off in Aus is good for Aus viewers only noone else, so asking NZ and SA to time their games to suit is a bit shall we say greedy. As I have pointed out before NRC games involving only Aus teams generally kick off at great times for here, only trouble is noone seems to want to watch Aus teams only, so perhaps we have to work in with others!

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Perhaps they could kick off 1 hour earlier. Say 6:30, Good time to get the younger ones at home to start watching. Also wouldn't be directly Head to Head with other codes. I dont think it would affect greatly the Aus viewing audience starting earlier. We are rusted on. And an earlier start would be more favorable to getting a better crowd at the ground.

So I would be in favor of trialing an earlier start for NZ teams playing in Aus.

But the bigger problem is SA. My point is that playing Daytime games in SA may benefit the viewership and appeal of the Super Rugby across the whole of SAANZAR.

At present the product being sold is a dud and has limited appeal. The lack of continuity of games at viewer friendly times is one of the biggest drawbacks.

Surely more can be done with the scheduling of games.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
SA broadcast dollars make the biggest contribution to the re-distribution pool. SA needs are always paramount. NZ are then second in the pecking order. unfortunately its just a fact that Australia's needs come last.

we all need SA to keep getting the big $. NZ look like they will have some nice competitive tension between Sky and Spark. And that interest in rugby in NZ remains high. Oz (since the last deal) has less viewers (Super Rugby and Test), lower crowds (Super Rugby and Test), no bidders except the incumbent, no interest from FTA, and an incumbent who is in dire need of re-capitalisation and has flagged cuts to sports and how much it pays for rights.

SA crowds have been down this year, but i'm not sure about their viewer numbers. I've heard NZ and SA are looking at making some changes to their provincial comps - some to help improve demand for Super Rugby and some might involve a different broadcaster.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This seems to suggest AUS brought in $285m with NZ and SA contribution bringing it just below 1Billion

This is just the split of the income though. It doesn't show how much each country's broadcaster(s) contributed.

We don't just keep what Foxtel is willing to pay.

S

Show-n-go

This is just the split of the income though. It doesn't show how much each country's broadcaster(s) contributed.

We don't just keep what Foxtel is willing to pay.

Split of income would be directly proportionate to each countries broadcasters contribution though wouldn’t it?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015...als-massive-rise-in-tv-broadcast-deal/7036348

This seems to suggest AUS brought in $285m with NZ and SA contribution bringing it just below 1Billion

Considering the AFL got 2.5B and NRL 1.8B I’m not even remotely convinced that keeping SA around is worth it when a trans-Tasman competition can be tailored to fit AUS and NZ collective needs viewership wise and therefore command more $$

From the figures I could find the NZ deal is worth $334m and combined Aus and NZ brought in $619m of the nearly $1b quoted. Anyone know how much SA TV rights were sold for?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What people forget is:

RSA GDP: $US350 billion
RSA ave income $US 2500.
Rugby coverage - saturated

NZ GDP: $US210 million
NZ ave income: $US 60k

Aus GDP: $US1.3 TRILLION
Aus ave income: $US couldn’t find it but approx +10% NZ
Rugby Coverage - barely implemented (though a tough market)

Which market would you target?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
What people forget is:

RSA GDP: $US350 billion
RSA ave income $US 2500.

NZ GDP: $US210 million
NZ ave income: $US 60k

Aus GDP: $US1.3 TRILLION
Aus ave income: $US couldn’t find it but approx +10% NZ
Rugby Coverage - barely implemented (though a tough market)

Which market would you target?

Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.