• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes thought this as well, I do wonder if it has to do with trying to fulfill there Super rugby obligations, regards broadcast payments Which i gather is why the NRL/AFL are still forging ahead.

Yep and also ITM cup starts after Club rugby finishes, so they can't consider it until all club rugby cancelled!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Don't shoot the messenger, folks:

The NRL is unlikely to ask players to take pay cuts … after government agreed to give strong consideration to including the code as part of the nation's multi-billion dollar coronavirus stimulus package.​
… While the government was taken aback by the bullish approach of ARLC chairman Peter V'landys … conversations since have somewhat eased tensions.​
Despite Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Monday declaring "the NRL is not high on the priority list" … NRL powerbrokers believe the government now understands the magnitude of the ripple effect that could occur should the NRL not receive financial support from government.​
Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...-nrl-in-stimulus-package-20200319-p54by0.html

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To be fair Kiap, although I thought it was bad timing, and I don't like the game, they are a business like everyone else (travel inudtry, restaraunts etc etc) I suppose, and plenty of them seem to have hands out to. I think if the players etc were seen to take a bit of a hit like the rest, they might find people not quite so pissed!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
To be fair Kiap, although I thought it was bad timing, and I don't like the game, they are a business like everyone else (travel inudtry, restaraunts etc etc) I suppose, and plenty of them seem to have hands out
True, Dan … plenty indeed

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Oz super rugby derbies need to get going as nrl and afl playing behind close doors and putting oz rugby out of mind out of sight whilst nrl and afl going on will only further damage fan support for rugby and risk further fans drifting to nrl and afl

Not even the end of the world with a gun to my head will I ever drift back to that shite.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Originally posted in the Broadcasting Options thread but probably more relevant here:

Article behind the NZHurld's partial pay wall suggests that if & when the NZ-only comp starts the six derbies already played will count towards it with the remaining 14 played over seven weeks plus a mid-comp break so that the Clan, who've only played one derby, don't have to play seven straight.

Gov't has now banned most indoor gatherings of 100+ persons leading to speculation that, given a Super Rugby-level game needs 150+* players, support staff, venue staff, broadcasting staff, etc etc, the whole thing could fall foul of that, depending on whether an empty stadium is deemed to be "indoors". Our Health Dep't has some novel interpretations of words like "enclosed" in terms of the Smokefree regs so anything's possible.

*I've since heard that there were 241 people on-site for last nights NRL match so it's likely a Super Rugby-level match would require a similar number.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Such a pity Sunwolves were not all in oz and can’t be part of planned domestic derby as easier to have competition with 6 games and 3 games every week then 5 teams - not sure how a short competition can work with 5 teams

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Such a pity Sunwolves were not all in oz and can’t be part of planned domestic derby as easier to have competition with 6 games and 3 games every week then 5 teams - not sure how a short competition can work with 5 teams

They could put together a BaaBaas squad as well. Though, I still don't think this is the greatest of idea to be going through with at present.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
They could put together a BaaBaas squad as well. Though, I still don't think this is the greatest of idea to be going through with at present.
If they could put a composite 6th team together yes would be better for 6 team competition to give 3 games per week but yes just not realistic. So 5 team competition it is.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yes, Rebels were training yesterday and i spoke to a couple of them this morning who were doing "extra curricular" activity, on my walk past the "bubble dome". they said a couple of weeks before a domestic comp with the four Super Rugby plus Force. i love my Rugby and i can see all the reasons put forward for this, BUT i really think this is a very, very bad idea. non-essential travel must be curtailed, close contact (SCRUMS - FFS !!!) reduced as much as possible, personal hygiene and physical distancing is the only known way to limit the spread of this virus. this is a whole of society problem and sports should be setting an example, not looking at ways around it. i am appalled at the NRL and AFL and A-league continuing. things are going to get a lot worse before anything gets better. if in any doubt have a look at this
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...-spot-checking-isolation-20200320-p54cfn.html

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But to be fair Robinson did say when announced they would say F*** al else until they has something a bit more solid, and it was real early days!

True but he also said there would be a further announcement "by the end of the week" which in business terms implies Friday. Or maybe he's a 24/7 kinda guy & meant by Sunday :).

I'm starting to get the feeling that NZR are stuck between their contractual obligations to Sky & what the Gov't will allow them to do.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
yes, Rebels were training yesterday and i spoke to a couple of them this morning who were doing "extra curricular" activity, on my walk past the "bubble dome". they said a couple of weeks before a domestic comp with the four Super Rugby plus Force. i love my Rugby and i can see all the reasons put forward for this, BUT i really think this is a very, very bad idea. non-essential travel must be curtailed, close contact (SCRUMS - FFS !!!) reduced as much as possible, personal hygiene and physical distancing is the only known way to limit the spread of this virus. this is a whole of society problem and sports should be setting an example, not looking at ways around it. i am appalled at the NRL and AFL and A-league continuing. things are going to get a lot worse before anything gets better. if in any doubt have a look at this
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...-spot-checking-isolation-20200320-p54cfn.html

It's fucking idiotic to say the least.

And I've just heard the inevitable has happened, so we'll be hearing from the AFL soon.........

Status
Not open for further replies.