• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

NZRU trying to work out Super Rugby for 2021 and onwards.

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

Rugby Australia trying to work out Super Rugby for 2021 and onwards.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What a risible, blinkered, asinine statement. Look around the world and how things are travelling. Australia is the only middle level power with anything like this sort of success. And before you start reeling in NZ I said middle size power. NZ PM equates to roughly Clover Moore, the the international connection through flights and ships makes Sydney's achievement considerably more impressive than New Zealand.

Positive thoughts and vibes to our cohorts in Victoria.

Except we did have community cases down to practically zero and then let it out of hotel quarantine and spread through the community.

It was a huge mistake and it's going to cost us billions.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What a risible, blinkered, asinine statement. Look around the world and how things are travelling. Australia is the only middle level power with anything like this sort of success. And before you start reeling in NZ I said middle size power. NZ PM equates to roughly Clover Moore, the the international connection through flights and ships makes Sydney's achievement considerably more impressive than New Zealand.

Positive thoughts and vibes to our cohorts in Victoria.

Pull your head in, did you hear the premier of Victoria tonight?? I not saying that it is because it Australia, I saying like BH , we in Aus had it under control, and it was let go for a couple of reasons, mainly because it seems security was done on the cheap!!
I also give positive support and vibes to our cohorts in Victoria, but not to any that have symptoms and are continuing on as though they didn't etc!!!! Here in Australia we had a chance to stay on top and are probably one of the best of middle powers because we are an island!! Why do you have to make everything about a AusNZ thing, I never mentioned NZ and was not even thinking of it!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Going to put some popcorn in the microwave

SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux:

"There is a legal and binding agreement with the SANZAAR alliance, and anyone in breach of that would put themselves in a position to be held liable.

"We have not been kicked out of Super Rugby. If anything, New Zealand kicked themselves out of it."

Yes, I made this point a couple of weeks ago. the Joint Venture agreement means that if it's an international competition then all of the JV partners have the legal right to participate, it's only a domestic competition which doesn't contravene the agreement.

i.e NZ can run SRA with however many NZ teams it wants and we can run a domestic pro league with as many teams as we want but if it's TT then SA have the legal right to participate.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes, I made this point a couple of weeks ago. the Joint Venture agreement means that if it's an international competition then all of the JV partners have the legal right to participate, it's only a domestic competition which doesn't contravene the agreement.

i.e NZ can run SRA with however many NZ teams it wants and we can run a domestic pro league with as many teams as we want but if it's TT then SA have the legal right to participate.
Depends on the contract, but i doubt NZ or Aus would be in breach if the boarders were closed and they couldn't participate. Even if it did somehow constitute a breach - what's the loss? the borders are shut and they can't compete.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Depends on the contract, but i doubt NZ or Aus would be in breach if the boarders were closed and they couldn't participate. Even if it did somehow constitute a breach - what's the loss? the borders are shut and they can't compete.

Beyond 2021

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Seems PI team almost ready to go for Super rugby, got money etc
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...aii-says-its-ready-to-go-for-2021-competition. Seems the woman running it not overly enamoured with Hamish McLennan, talking in papers and not in person about where they should be based, but generally seems a pretty positive idea. Only thing is if this get's going it may scupper the idea of a drua team. I will be interested to see how strong a team they will put out.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...aii-says-its-ready-to-go-for-2021-competition. Seems the woman running it not overly enamoured with Hamish McLennan, talking in papers and not in person about where they should be based, but generally seems a pretty positive idea. Only thing is if this get's going it may scupper the idea of a drua team. I will be interested to see how strong a team they will put out.

Also means they can move forward with 6 teams next year without Australia if they have to.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Also means they can move forward with 6 teams next year without Australia if they have to.

Possibly, but I'm not sure a PI team going into a competition with the 5 New Zealand franchises will be particularly competitive, not for a few years at least.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Possibly, but I'm not sure a PI team going into a competition with the 5 New Zealand franchises will be particularly competitive, not for a few years at least.

Yep, but NZ would be the one place that could top up the team with players to make them competitive.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yep, but NZ would be the one place that could top up the team with players to make them competitive.

It's a bit of a gamble at that stage though, new franchises are rarely competitive straight off the bat and it's unclear what sort of talent they'll be able to pull in for their first season. If the one team they add is not competitive, while they've rejected ~5 Australian teams, at least some of which would be competitive with the New Zealand teams (Brumbies, Rebels and Reds all showed this in the first half of the season) and would help bridge the gap between them and a new franchise it won't look great for the competition, or their management of it. It'll certainly weaken their negotiating position going forward if they want to join up with Australia later on.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah, but they don't want 5 Aussie teams, which is the one thing Aus need. A genuine compromise is domestic leagues with cross over championships, they've just possibly grabbed the pacific option.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure how it will work, but they seem pretty positive, there maybe a few PI players from Aus keen on being involved. Not sure who here is tied up, and not suggesting how many would be interested, but one or two could be. They seem confident they will get players from around world who are keen!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Yeah, but it's going to be a great place for NZ to recruit more PI players from. Give them a taste of professional rugby in a lower funded team and then offer the best players contracts to play for one of the existing 5 NZ teams.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I think NZ should go it alone with the Pasifika team. It's the only way they can ensure the appropriate level of competitiveness for their existing franchises.

Im over this now. If NZRU don't want Australia can they just make the decision and fuck off? so we can get on with rebuilding something constructive and in our interests.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’d be surprised if the PI team even gets close to operational by next year. My guess would be 2022. I also question the capital available. It surely isn’t coming from the players that were mentioned, their pockets wouldnt even come remotely close to covering anything. I’d put strong money that this will end up an MLR only team and if any team is created for SRNZ then it will almost certainly require money from World Rugby, the NZ or Aus Government or NZRU to prop it up, most likely a combination of all 3. For it to be a success it would need to be based out of the islands.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
^^
@R3, Agree. Also most new business ventures will conduct capital raising that will no doubt attract 'angel investors from private sector as well as RND funding from gov.It will be interesting to see.It could igniote the super league type scenario of privatising teams a la Twiggy and his Force.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

How so? The Drua is an all Fijian squad. This team will be a mix of all three but I suspect leaning more towards Samoan/Tongans going from what I know PI population demographics in NZ. And to be honest, I actually think there should be two PI teams anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.