• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
According to this he's going to fund a 6th Kiwi team playing at Bay of Plenty in a JV with Bay of Plenty RU. Chinese dollars involved as well.

As I guessed. Twiggy gets a foot in both camps, and stays firm with China which has broader implications for iron ore exports. GRR seems to be at an end but he continues to look after them.

IT's all good by me.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ similar article on rugbypass.com suggests they're targeting SRAo initially:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/repo...or-a-sixth-new-zealand-super-rugby-franchise/

FWIW I've heard that if (& at this point it's a very big if) NZR do go 8-team domestic they'll retain the Blues; establish a PI-heritage team also in Auckland; split the Chiefs & Hurricanes into West (Waikato + Taranaki), East (BOP + Hawke's Bay) & South (Wellington + Manawatu); set Tasman up as a stand-alone alongside Crusaders; & retain Highlanders as is.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/repo...or-a-sixth-new-zealand-super-rugby-franchise/

FWIW I've heard that if (& at this point it's a very big if) NZR do go 8-team domestic they'll retain the Blues; establish a PI-heritage team also in Auckland; split the Chiefs & Hurricanes into West (Waikato + Taranaki), East (BOP + Hawke's Bay) & South (Wellington + Manawatu); set Tasman up as a stand-alone alongside Crusaders; & retain Highlanders as is.

WoB that sounds like serious structural change along with history/IP/tribalism reset required. Do you think this would be a longer term plan, or nailed straight into 2021?

I like the thinking, noting that it is very bold. But it also waters down the comp to the point that surely the "quality of talent" issue aimed at Aus is pretty much flattened.

Take the 8 plus the Aus 5, and get a decent TT rolling.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
What, exactly, is the relationship between the Chinese RFU and the CCP? It's a question I'm asking now, and would hope the NZ government to be asking if that proposal goes any further. Indeed, I might expect it of them if NZR's making a Pacific team a priority was driven by the government; something they hinted at a few years ago.

Legally the Chinese RFU would be under the oversight of the CCP and required to do anything asked of them.

In practical terms I doubt the CCP have much to do with the day to day operations of the organisation.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I imagine they'd get them from much the same place any other PI team would.

Yep, from wherever they can buy them, I all for that ,just meant can't use the Drua as they are. Any PI team would be bought in from not just PIs, but any coming off contract they can get I imagine. I not against them being in there, just meant we can't parachute NRC standard teams into Super, they won't really compete in long run. Even Force have got in a couple of players this year and need a lot more to be a super team.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep, from wherever they can buy them, I all for that ,just meant can't use the Drua as they are. Any PI team would be bought in from not just PIs, but any coming off contract they can get I imagine. I not against them being in there, just meant we can't parachute NRC standard teams into Super, they won't really compete in long run. Even Force have got in a couple of players this year and need a lot more to be a super team.

You can't use any other PI bid as they are either and the Drua as a base is a hell of a lot closer to a super rugby side than a completely new entity. They would need 10-15 players to be competitive instead of a full squad of 35+. They also have an existing framework to build off of and some sort of team connection and culture to work with.

So if you can't see the Drua playing super rugby because the team as it stands is not super quality than you shouldn't be able to see any other PI team playing super rugby, because they don't even have 15 players to put on the park.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You can't use any other PI bid as they are either and the Drua as a base is a hell of a lot closer to a super rugby side than a completely new entity. They would need 10-15 players to be competitive instead of a full squad of 35+. They also have an existing framework to build off of and some sort of team connection and culture to work with.

So if you can't see the Drua playing super rugby because the team as it stands is not super quality than you shouldn't be able to see any other PI team playing super rugby, because they don't even have 15 players to put on the park.

Oh for christ sake, that is exactly what I saying, Drua can't go into Super like they are, same as Force, they would need strengthening, so they need to do some shopping fairly quickly. The main reason I pointed out the Drua, I was under the impression they were a team based on semi pro players that are still in Islands and were formed to give players a pathway to pro rugby, I all for a Fijian team, just can't have a semi pro team from anywhere.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh for christ sake, that is exactly what I saying, Drua can't go into Super like they are, same as Force, they would need strengthening, so they need to do some shopping fairly quickly. The main reason I pointed out the Drua, I was under the impression they were a team based on semi pro players that are still in Islands and were formed to give players a pathway to pro rugby, I all for a Fijian team, just can't have a semi pro team from anywhere.

No one but you was suggesting they would slot straight in without recruitment, just that they were the team to start with. You were literally advocating another PI entity over the Drua, citing player sourcing:

I don't see Fiji Drua playing Super, they are basically a team of Fijian residents playing to attract offers for a full professional contract to play in super or similar. As it is Force would need to buy at least 5-6 quality players to compete, and I not sure where Drua would get extras from, that is why most consider a PI team as alternative.

There are reasons to take a different PI team over the Drua (though I think the Drua is the best starting point on balance) but player availability has to be the least of those reasons, as they have a base squad already, which is more than can be said for any other PI side.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty exciting that 4/5 teams on their day could win this contest. Genuinely struggling to rank the teams 1-4. Hopefully these final rounds provide the excitement they're promising.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok , well you conveniently left out this post I put in just 2 posts back.

(Yep, from wherever they can buy them, I all for that ,just meant can't use the Drua as they are. Any PI team would be bought in from not just PIs, but any coming off contract they can get I imagine. I not against them being in there, just meant we can't parachute NRC standard teams into Super, they won't really compete in long run. Even Force have got in a couple of players this year and need a lot more to be a super team.)
But anyway I will leave it at that. All I ever meant Drua are a semi pro team and that won't cut it in super! I not advocating anyone!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Ok , well you conveniently left out this post I put in just 2 posts back.

(Yep, from wherever they can buy them, I all for that ,just meant can't use the Drua as they are. Any PI team would be bought in from not just PIs, but any coming off contract they can get I imagine. I not against them being in there, just meant we can't parachute NRC standard teams into Super, they won't really compete in long run. Even Force have got in a couple of players this year and need a lot more to be a super team.)
But anyway I will leave it at that. All I ever meant Drua are a semi pro team and that won't cut it in super! I not advocating anyone!

The BoP bid would likely be of similar standard to that of the Force and Drua. And if NZR goes with WB's post then they'll be very much at the level of those teams.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Here's a crazy thought. Why not go with the 8 teams plus Fiji and our 5 to start for a 14 team competition? Could happen as soon as next season. With plans put in place for 2 more Australian based squads to be added in the following seasons to create a 16 team competition playing a 1.5 round robin competition for a (the 8 NZ based play one another home and away as with the Aus/Fiji teams) 22 games season with a 8 team finals series.

Or go with 7 and we'll find a 6th team alongside Fiji.

Status
Not open for further replies.