• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’d be very happy with a system going forward that starts with domestic comps, then TT in some form. But I don’t see any reason to drop Super Au.

I think long term, 5 teams in a comp is insufficient and will become stale very quickly - I would rather NSW & QLD field an additional team each, and then perhaps an 8th team (Japan/Fiji/ or PE Western or Northern Sydney)

If NZ got to a comp of the same number would be helpful for TT - As Top 4 could play a cup and bottom 4 play a plate (ideally with the Plate winner getting a wildcard into the Cup finals)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah do what they did this year with a trans Tasman tournament on the end, that also allows the greatest flexibility in terms of potential covid travel restrictions. Worst case, it’s a 5 week tournament hosted all in the same country, following Super Rugby AU.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This year we had Super Rugby for 6 weeks. Took a massive break and then did Super Rugby AU.

How can you do Super Rugby AU for that whole time?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This year we had Super Rugby for 6 weeks. Took a massive break and then did Super Rugby AU.

How can you do Super Rugby AU for that whole time?

No one is saying that.
They’re suggesting Super Rugby AU tournament like this year, followed by a TT tournament

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How long did it take to put Super Rugby AU together? If it changes, it changes. Plan for a TT. It's what the broadcasters, players and fans want.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
How long did it take to put Super Rugby AU together? If it changes, it changes. Plan for a TT. It's what the broadcasters, players and fans want.

dude, everyone is suggesting the TT Comp goes ahead, just after all the Aussie and kiwi teams have played their internal matches

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)

I'm a fan and I would like a domestic competition followed by a champions cup and also ran's shield.

Ultimately an 8 team comp in Australia (including the Drua) with the top 4 qualifying for the champions cup and the bottom 4 the other. Include teams from Japan and maybe SLAR in the champions cup.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nah you're suggesting a different comp, a playoffs of sort, for the top teams only. I can read.

There are literally 100s of pages of posts on this so why the feined surprise? Plenty of fans do NOT want a Super unless problems of the past are unravelled. To make a TT work requires two to tango, one party being NZR who have shown scant interest so far in anything that comes slightly close to working for Aus rugby. Which is their call. And we should then stand firm with our own comp.

A compromise is domestic followed by TT that can involve all teams. But it is a compromise.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
There are literally 100s of pages of posts on this so why the reined surprise? Plenty of fans do NOT want a Super unless problems of the past are unravelled. To make a TT work requires two to tango, one party being NZR who have shown scant interest so far in anything that comes slightly close to working for Aus rugby. Which is their call. And we should then stand firm with our own comp.

A compromise is domestic followed by TT that can involve all teams. But it is a compromise.

Is it really a compromise though, if AUS/NZ can manage 6 teams each, then separate domestic competitions followed by champions league surely would be the best option moving forward financially, the issue is the 6th team for each country.

TT is not the best option it is the preferred option to suit specific interests.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Is it really a compromise though, if AUS/NZ can manage 6 teams each, then separate domestic competitions followed by champions league surely would be the best option moving forward financially, the issue is the 6th team for each country.

TT is not the best option it is the preferred option to suit specific interests.

Don’t have an issue with this.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)

Yeah, I agree.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thinking outside of the TRC (formerly RC), what is the go with the Argentinians?

I understand they are without their Euro players? Do they have a comp back in America? Might they be interested in Aus? (or NZ). Setting up here for 2021 might not be a bad option.

Apologies in advance as this has inevitably been discussed. The only discussion I can recall is “they are all going to Europe” when patently not all have.

Status
Not open for further replies.