• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It would be a bit of a bitter pill for some to swallow but I wouldn't mind it if it were to go down this route.

I'd go about it by taking the Spirit, Rising, Rams, Vikings and then opening up spots for any other organisation such as the clubs to fill another 6-8 slots. All bids have to meet strict criteria regarding finances, facilities etc.

Do we easily forget the problems Sydney Uni had being competitive with the NRC sides backed by the Super Rugby franchises? Actually, all the Sydney based teams were in trouble until the Stars disappeared and the talent spread a little less thinly.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If you're trying to leverage off Shute Shield tribalism, you also lose all the fans who follow a different team that is no longer part of it.

Does the tribalism of Shute Shield where you pay $15 for entry translate into a professional competition where entrance prices need to be substantially higher?

If you make the cut the number of games for the team that currently has all the paying members to a couple of home games a season, how do you recoup all the lost membership income?

Surely you need to try and mitigate your risks rather than just say there are lots of them and keep ploughing ahead.

Here's the thing. I dont disagree with you. NRC style representation works for me, hell I supported the Stars.

But it did not suit Shute Shield. I dont know why. But I'm not arguing. This is their problem. 4 teams with Waratahs sort your shit out.

Then we add it to the domestic comp.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Absolutely RH, I've made the point a number of times on various threads how well the RFU and rugby en England are going.

Of course, as we know, rugby in Australia is so unique that we can't learn anything from anyone.
Sure, they have better systems but also a fuck-ton more money. That fact cannot be under-estimated. It can make many things happen.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Sure, they have better systems but also a fuck-ton more money. That fact cannot be under-estimated. It can make many things happen.
Look how many cracks that $30m world cup profit papered over for a decade.

The RFU just made $180m AUD off of theirs.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Absolutely, which doesn't mean that we can't learn anything from the systems which they have set up though.

See the Michael Lynagh article which RH posted a few pages back.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Absolutely, which doesn't mean that we can't learn anything from the systems which they have set up though.

See the Michael Lynagh article which RH posted a few pages back.

I didn't say it did. But a few people have posted how much better the systems are elsewhere, without mentioning the ability to set up greater systems with huge cash reserves. NZ has its AIG war chest too.
Michael Lynagh has been in England forever. My take on his comments was about how impressed he was with the systems, particularly junior academies (e.g. benefitting his son, Louis). I doubt that would be there if they didn't have the war-chest to fund it. Is he really saying anything that isn't bleeding obvious common-sense?

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
I take it you didn't watch the grand final - not sure why I did: a very odd mixture of low skill levels, apparent brutality and blatant diving.
I would fear for the development of our game in this country if we became cut off from the powerhouse we have living to our right and to a lesser extent to our left: my take on the A league is that it is disconnected from the way the game is played in every other country - that could happen with Rugby.

The A-League has still managed to carve out a relatively successful place for itself in Australia relative to the lack of talent it can realistically attract within what is an incredibly competitive global marketplace for players. That's because teams have done a great job of engaging with fans who just want to turn up and support a local product (regardless of quality, although it's slowly improving every year). The competition has also proved it can develop players who have gone on to further their careers overseas and represent the national team. There is no reason why rugby can't follow a similar model if it had to.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't have Pay TV, so my comment applies to my memory of a replay of the Tah's latest home-game. I'm sure I saw the "Bet365" gambling logo sprayed on to the field. If so, as of July 1st, will games they (or any other gambling outlet) sponsor, have to start after 8:30 pm, or will they cease to be a ground, or team sponsor as of that date?!

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
I just struggle to see a scenario where rugby doesn't end up like soccer in Australia - where most of our best players are playing overseas, and we build our own A League type competition.

But in recent months I've been thinking maybe that's not so bad. While we'd lose the very best players we'd keep many very good players and also attract very good players from overseas, because there really isn't that many decent paying professional rugby contracts in the world.

I was reading a comment on The Roar (dangerous I know) which made me think.

If Soup did completely fall on its arse and we had player from 5 countries all pushing for contracts in Europe or Japan, when would the markets reach saturation point???

The A League will continue to be a feeder comp because every country in Europe has a stronger league which pays more. Even 2nd division in England or Germany pay more. Then you have China and the American MLS.

In Rugby not so many. And like in France, they will realise it hurts their national teams and may cut down on foreigners eventually (Brexit could see an example before our eyes).

But as mentioned, with the A League, feeder comp or not, they have tribalism, and i'm sure the FFA doesn't give a shit if the best players are playing here as long as the big names come back to play for Oz.

When they can get 80,000 to Oz vs UAE or 'A League All Stars' vs a Liverpool B team, I'm sure they're laughing all the way to the bank.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
^^^^

As an aside, we saw Livingstone from Balmain get Drew Mitchel and The Caveman from France to don the club socks and make cameos.

Imagine a strong wealthy club getting the likes of Johnny Wilkinson or Brian O'Driscoll to make a season cameo in their primes.***

I bet all the Poms or Irish would flock to watch those lads play in Oz...

***Important. The clubs and not the ARU would be in charge of marketing....

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I didn't say it did. But a few people have posted how much better the systems are elsewhere, without mentioning the ability to set up greater systems with huge cash reserves. NZ has its AIG war chest too.
Michael Lynagh has been in England forever. My take on his comments was about how impressed he was with the systems, particularly junior academies (e.g. benefitting his son, Louis). I doubt that would be there if they didn't have the war-chest to fund it. Is he really saying anything that isn't bleeding obvious common-sense?

Parochialist.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Do we easily forget the problems Sydney Uni had being competitive with the NRC sides backed by the Super Rugby franchises? Actually, all the Sydney based teams were in trouble until the Stars disappeared and the talent spread a little less thinly.

No. Just a suggestion. If we saw the 5 Super Rugby joined by the Rams and two Country teams then I'd be fine with that. Add Fiji and that'd do me.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
People I've never met;
1 a kiwi who wasn't an all black triallist;
2 a happy tahs supporter;
3 a NSW kid who plays Aussie rules and has never been in the swans academy
4 a pommy kid who plays rugby and isn't in an academy

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
People I've never met;
1 a kiwi who wasn't an all black triallist;
2 a happy tahs supporter;
3 a NSW kid who plays Aussie rules and has never been in the swans academy
4 a pommy kid who plays rugby and isn't in an academy

I'm generally happy but it has nothing to do with the Tahs form or otherwise.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I don't have Pay TV, so my comment applies to my memory of a replay of the Tah's latest home-game. I'm sure I saw the "Bet365" gambling logo sprayed on to the field. If so, as of July 1st, will games they (or any other gambling outlet) sponsor, have to start after 8:30 pm, or will they cease to be a ground, or team sponsor as of that date?!

I wonder if they will stop actually spraying the field or just add it digitally to the Fox feed. I don't know the rules surrounding the new Regulations.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
that leaves the Irish model doesn't it.
Dodgy tax arrangements?

7H2CEyy.jpg

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.