• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Wow, these guys have overspent by $28 million on super rugby in the past 4 years (i.e. @ $7mill per year).
Looking at the accounts, I reckon they are being a bit too clever here to make their point

Without knowing what this year's numbers are, it looks like they've added up all of the additional ARU expenses associated with taking over the Rebels and Force - player payments, Matchday and corporate.

They also have additional revenue which doesn't seem to be counted - Matchday, sponsorship etc.

The bet effect is much less than $28m (maybe half that?). Your point does remain.....

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
+++++ 999999

ALSO

ARU decisions have been in the main insular, in that they have excluded other voices from having a say. Especially voices in club land and park land.

The results we are bleeding players to other codes, and giving soccer and AFL a free kick at our expense by not be inclusive in decision making.

At current rates of change soccer will be the main code in GPS schools within 5 years.

Only hard core rusted on are staying.

Not only that we are bleeding good players as they head off shore as well so they can remove themselves from this shit.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Any astronomy fans out there who were disappointed when Pluto was declared a dwarf planet reducing the number of planets to eight, never fear. We now have a ninth planet again it is called Planet ARU. They have been hiding in their bunker with views from another planet.

Every time the ARU open their mouths (which hasn't been too often since Easter) their words continue to be more astounding. When VRU and RUPA requested EGM because of lack of communication, the ARU came out and said they thought they were communicating well. Now they are surprised the two teams (and in particular the Force) wouldn't just pack up their tent

They weren't expecting legal action which could cost the ARU millions that they don't have. I know they had to do something with regards to player contracts, but now the Force and Rebels (and other teams) can go their hardest, and the ARU have guaranteed the contracts. So if a team folds that could cost the ARU millions as well.

As every day passes the status quo looks more and more like the cheaper option. (Notwithstanding something has to change with revenue streams and cost cutting).
The ARU is canvassing astronomers for ideas: its easier to rid the solar system of a planet than it is to sack a super franchise.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not suggesting that the $300k should be re instated at all.

Only pointing out how he's penny wise and pound foolish, about how he was pro active for a relatively small amount, and impotent about a sum many times the net worth of entire business.

In an indirect fashion he's made the SS clubs stronger, withdrawing the grant has made the clubs self sufficient, and it appears to me,looking at websites & ground signs that they have more than replaced the ARU grants.

Also on FTA.
Also taking the game to the country.
Also running a strong competition.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Also on FTA.
Also taking the game to the country.
Also running a strong competition.
I've said it before and I know it's unpopular in the provinces but the Shute shield clubs have shown imagination and tenacity I wouldn't normally associate with rugby administration.
For those who "blame" Sydney people for being blasé about the NRC I think it's partly down to the resilience of Shute shield and an ambivalence to the alliances between the clubs for NRC which tend to muddy the tribal Shute shield waters.
If it came to the crunch I'd back the SS clubs ahead of NRC simply by virtue of their effort without THE ARU.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I've said it before and I know it's unpopular in the provinces but the Shute shield clubs have shown imagination and tenacity I wouldn't normally associate with rugby administration.
For those who "blame" Sydney people for being blasé about the NRC I think it's partly down to the resilience of Shute shield and an ambivalence to the alliances between the clubs for NRC which tend to muddy the tribal Shute shield waters.
If it came to the crunch I'd back the SS clubs ahead of NRC simply by virtue of their effort without THE ARU.

There is also talk about about a club State of Origin, how good would it be if NSW / QLD selected players from the country comp as well like the old days.

Hard to measure because it is from a different starting point - but i think Vic rugby & WA rugby have been more succesful developing and growing the game than NSW, QLD,and ACT.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There is also talk about about a club State of Origin, how good would it be if NSW / QLD selected players from the country comp as well like the old days.

Hard to measure because it is from a different starting point - but i think Vic rugby & WA rugby have been more succesful developing and growing the game than NSW, QLD,and ACT.
You have more idea than me but it's no just a different starting point.
As recent events have shown there's a close tie between the force/rebels and the amateur game.
I think in Sydney the Tahs are seen as a child of the ARU - probably something to do with their perennial underperformance.
I know I'm a good target for anti Tahs/ARU gossip so my sample is biased but whenever I go to a club game or lunch there is a parade of stories about the unfathomable atrocities of judgment in both and each year, because of my presently limited club involvement, I feel they've drifted further apart and the resentment is just a little more heated.
If it didn't have to get ARU approval a second franchise built on the brumbies early model of flipping the bird to the establishment would thrive in Sydney.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
HOST of Western Force stars led by Wallaby Adam Coleman are set to sign with rival franchises now the ARU’s contract moratorium has been lifted, further dimishing the Perth club’s prospects of survival.
Coleman is expected to be one of several Force players to sign with Melbourne Rebels, the other side named by the ARU as being in the firing line as Super Rugby redacts from 18 to 15 teams next year.​
While the ARU has been left hamstrung by legal action and threats from both clubs, their move on Monday to lift the contract freeze is expected to hasten the Force’s demise.​

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Bit of a kick in the balls for the Force if true.

If that's the case it doesn't seem like the players feel that Perth will have a team next season...........

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Looking at the accounts, I reckon they are being a bit too clever here to make their point

Without knowing what this year's numbers are, it looks like they've added up all of the additional ARU expenses associated with taking over the Rebels and Force - player payments, Matchday and corporate.

They also have additional revenue which doesn't seem to be counted - Matchday, sponsorship etc.

The bet effect is much less than $28m (maybe half that?). Your point does remain...

You may well be right re the large exaggeration involved.

But the core point here is surely this: the highest officer of the ARU made this key statement re Super clubs 'unexpected overspend of $28m' publicly and categorically.

Is it true, or is it not true? A test of organisational integrity and related values is the veracity of the statements it makes in defending or explaining a key decision or policy.

Only within the last year, despite these alleged 'major overspends', the ARU was proclaiming to all comers a strong commitment to 'the national footprint' of 5 Super Rugby teams.

Yet Clyne is now stating that, in truth, internally they knew the whole edifice was financially unsustainable.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Bit of a kick in the balls for the Force if true.

If that's the case it doesn't seem like the players feel that Perth will have a team next season.....

Death by asphyxiation.

Noting too in the context that the Rebels will be desperate to fix a better roster for 2018 and, I'd hope, their obvious coaching problems.

Whilst the ARU mess has been a big side show and understandable distraction, Cox and partners would absolutely know that the Rebels trend of declining crowds and, at best, mediocre Super results, is not a financially or commercially sustainable business model. They'd know that they have to do something to fix these trends, and soon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely the truth is somewhere in between.

Most of the ARU overspend has been because of the financial strife of the Rebels and Force and being essentially forced to bail them out to keep them afloat (and continue to fulfil the ARU's obligations to SANZAAR to have 5 teams and keep their full share of broadcast revenue).

Clearly the official budgets over that time would have involved no extra payments to the Rebels and then extra contributions and cancelling of loans to get the Rebels off their books (the sale to Imperium) or needing to acquire the Force IP and take the Force staff and players onto the ARU payroll.

Internally it would beggar belief if the ARU thought that the Rebels expansion would never require any financial contributions over and above the existing teams but in terms of their annual budgets, none of those amounts would be included.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Jamie Pandaram has been the journo who has had it in for the force during this whole saga.

He was the one who originally dropped the 'exclusive' that the force would be dropped before the ARU announcement.

Every article since has been about how the Rebels are safe a houses and that the force our completely ignoring and never mentioning the alliance agreement.

I'm sure a heap of Force players have already signed expressions with rival clubs on the basis that they would take the contract up IF the force are cut just as I'm sure many of the Rebels have also done.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jamie Pandaram has been the journo who has had it in for the force during this whole saga.

He was the one who originally dropped the 'exclusive' that the force would be dropped before the ARU announcement.

Every article since has been about how the Rebels are safe a houses and that the force our completely ignoring and never mentioning the alliance agreement.

I'm sure a heap of Force players have already signed expressions with rival clubs on the basis that they would take the contract up IF the force are cut just as I'm sure many of the Rebels have also done.

In Colmans specific case though Melbourne is closer to Tassie and the Rebels second row are junk so they probably paid him a heap more.

Forceright

Allen Oxlade (6)

The bet effect is much less than $28m (maybe half that?). Your point does remain...

Of the said $28mill, from 2013-2016, $16mill was given to the Rebels, $4.7 to BUY (NOT BAIL OUT) Force IP license, & the rest seems to be missing/unaccounted for. Would like to know how Clyne, justifies his arguments 'cos it ain't with any facts![/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.