• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
If done right he could make a competition that in 5 years is the most popular comp in the world. Think about it. All the kiwi Aussie and sa talent that heads north. If the money is there they could play in this competition. If they can get the money this could be huge.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
If done right he could make a competition that in 5 years is the most popular comp in the world. Think about it. All the kiwi Aussie and sa talent that heads north. If the money is there they could play in this competition. If they can get the money this could be huge.

I highly doubt that is something that will happen at this point in time. The interest, sponsorship and viewership is predominantly in Europe so Asia will have to grow somewhat first.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I highly doubt that is something that will happen at this point in time. The interest, sponsorship and viewership is predominantly in Europe so Asia will have to grow somewhat first.
I think if we had all those legends playing people would watch. Imagin having a team like toulon.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think if we had all those legends playing people would watch. Imagin having a team like toulon.

I don't necessarily agree. I don't watch football even though I can. Moving the top leagues here wouldn't change that for me.

Also, in order to have a "Toulon", you need the money first. It doesn't work the other way round.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Too many teams from the wrong timezones.

I would think the AP Dragons in Singapore and a team in Hong Kong would be in the initial six.

I have:

Western Force

Asia Pacific Dragons (Singapore)

Hong Kong

Western Sydney Rams

Then two from:

Sydney Rays

NSW Country Eagles

Canberra Vikings

Fijian Drua

Combined Brisbane Clubs

China under Alisports has talked about starting a new competition with foreign players in 2018. Personally hard to see as a team for this but maybe given Alisports $100m....

For me Asia Pacific dragons and hk probable....and given how anti ARU Brett Papworth is and with the recent acquisition of RAMS by Eastwood I would seem GS Rams as a contender.

Hard to see any of PI teams, but if TF provided some funding to kick in with World Rugby - Fijian Drua maybe....

Got to admit if comp gets up and local Sydney team involved I would support it and go to games.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well I not suggesting it has to be outside, but no way a rebel comp will happen, Twiggy's $50 mil isn't going to cover anything in a good comp.

I am assuming it will be worked under ARU umbrella, for insurance etc etc it would need to be as well as refs. For it to happen it will need a broadcaster to be interested in showing it, and for that to happen there will need to be enough name players involved. I really hope that it can happen, but just being a little realistic! Even to get it up Western Force I imagine would need at least 5 mil a year to operate(minimum) and so another 5 teams will need a lot of support too . Still we can only hope/dream!

Agreed - key to last meeting ARU had with TF was ARU supporting them in looking to establish another international competition. ARU done a lot of dumb things imo but this was not one of them. As ARU surely would love to have an alternative competition which they don't have to fund to avoid all the eggs in one Super Rugby basket which is looking a dicy strategy at best. Hence, they get the SARU model of involvement in two competitions which can only be a good thing and lower risk thing for the ARU given only funding participation in one competition.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Having this competition on FTA would be a huge win....is that possible though...I hope so...probably a mix of Pay plus FTA at best but some content on FTA would be good model to work with.

Could this competition also start in 2018? I somehow doubt it....2019?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
+ Western Force (definite)
+ Greater Sydney Rams (likely interested)
+ NSW Country (likely interested)
+ Sydney Rays (likely interested)
+ Canberra Vikings (unlikely interested)
+ Fiji Drua (unlikely interested)
+ Melbourne Rising (unlikely interested)
+ Japanese team (unknown interest).
+ Samoan team (unknown interest).
+ Tongan team (unknown interest).

That's a lot of flying time (and expenses) for teams who won't be able to earn that much money at all.

But speaking of Twiggy and his money. Is there any reason why he didn't come to the Force's aid last year when they were looking for a named sponsor? I do realise Fortescue was a shirt sponsor, but the Force went looking high and low to land the Road Safety sponsor. So I'm a little confused why he didn't stump up more money then?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
China under Alisports has talked about starting a new competition with foreign players in 2018. Personally hard to see as a team for this but maybe given Alisports $100m..

For me Asia Pacific dragons and hk probable..and given how anti ARU Brett Papworth is and with the recent acquisition of RAMS by Eastwood I would seem GS Rams as a contender.

Hard to see any of PI teams, but if TF provided some funding to kick in with World Rugby - Fijian Drua maybe..

Got to admit if comp gets up and local Sydney team involved I would support it and go to games.

You are by no means the only one. A second pro rugby team in Sydney? I'm in no matter how mild they start. (Mind you I also supported the Stars.)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You are by no means the only one. A second pro rugby team in Sydney? I'm in no matter how mild they start. (Mind you I also supported the Stars.)

So did I mate.....(support the Stars which was very local for me). In many ways this would provide the Western Sydney team (second Sydney team option) so many have been keen on. Sydney could (possibly) support a second team if well funded (read: thanks TF for help funding to set this up to attract right calibre of players and also ensure competition on FTA). My bet is Papworth as mr anti ARU would love to involve the RAMS in this new comp.

Reactions: dru

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I would be very keen to see this get up, but it's a tough gig. Some people are comparing it to Packer's cricket scenario, but Packer had his own TV network, so he could successfully broadcast it, and the cricketers were being paid peanuts, so offering enough to get the best of them wasn't nearly as difficult. Also, Aus was the number one cricket nation in the world, so once Packer had the best Aus cricketers he had the best there was.

I think the most likely way for it get traction is through Asia (which TF seems to recognise by his presser), so if he can support from the Asian unions and attract a free-to-air broadcaster going in to those communities it may become a viable, successful competition, however it may well be of a standard well below current provincial rugby in the rugby nations like NZ, SA Aus etc.

Representing your country is still a big deal for the majority of top players and if the TF comp doesn't offer that possibility, It's hard to see it securing a big percentage of the top players. Those just interested in money will probably head for Europe.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I would be very keen to see this get up, but it's a tough gig. Some people are comparing it to Packer's cricket scenario, but Packer had his own TV network, so he could successfully broadcast it, and the cricketers were being paid peanuts, so offering enough to get the best of them wasn't nearly as difficult. Also, Aus was the number one cricket nation in the world, so once Packer had the best Aus cricketers he had the best there was.

I think the most likely way for it get traction is through Asia (which TF seems to recognise by his presser), so if he can support from the Asian unions and attract a free-to-air broadcaster going in to those communities it may become a viable, successful competition, however it may well be of a standard well below current provincial rugby in the rugby nations like NZ, SA Aus etc.

Representing your country is still a big deal for the majority of top players and if the TF comp doesn't offer that possibility, It's hard to see it securing a big percentage of the top players. Those just interested in money will probably head for Europe.

It seems a very astute move, basically he is stealing all of Aus future growth areas, and NZ for that matter.
Making all the contacts, broadcasters etc. Basically, potentially over a few years locking it up to some degree.
Especially if he gets the likes of Jack Ma involved and thus China, huge! MMA in China will dwarf the UFC before long.
It will be a case of the ARU having to come to him. He will pick and choose what he wants.
He has also included Women's rugby and 7's an Olympic sport.
It's called vision.
He has been there done that, this is probably easier and he is loaded this time.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I can't see the IRB not sanctioning the expansion of rugby into Asia.
I don't know how all that works with the ARU but surely IRB wouldn't put a red line through it?

I doubt that the IRB will sanction it. For one, the ARU, NZRU and SARU hold a great deal of collective sway in the IRB. I imagine the JRFU will also be leaned on by SANZAAR/NZRU to shut down any Japanese involvement.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It seems a very astute move, basically he is stealing all of Aus future growth areas, and NZ for that matter.

Making all the contacts, broadcasters etc. Basically, potentially over a few years locking it up to some degree.

Especially if he gets the likes of Jack Ma involved and thus China, huge! MMA in China will dwarf the UFC before long.

It will be a case of the ARU having to come to him. He will pick and choose what he wants.

He has also included Women's rugby and 7's an Olympic sport.

It's called vision.

He has been there done that, this is probably easier and he is loaded this time.

I imagine the ARU would still allow players in this competition (read those who play for OZ based teams involved) to represent Australia, as that was the gist I felt of ARU supporting new competition per Adelaide meeting.

I agree hard to see this as probably much more than semi pro, but if TF could get some other Asian Billionaires involved prepared to play fantasy rugby maybe could be more but more likely is a semi pro comp. The latter is why I assume obviously first choice would be for them to have Force to continue to be involved in Super Rugby. But got to start somewhere and as semi pro comp would still provide some sort of pathway for WA based players until something post 2020 emerges from the Super Rugby ashes.

I am intrigued to see what the plans are and how they unfold in any case....

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I can't see the IRB not sanctioning the expansion of rugby into Asia.
I don't know how all that works with the ARU but surely IRB wouldn't put a red line through it?

ARU has to approve under World Rugby Regulations (and it appears that they will do so)
16.2.3 No Match, tour, or Series of Matches below National Representative level (e.g. Provincial, State, County, District, Club or other Rugby Body) shall be arranged or permitted to take place between teams from different Unions or one Union without the prior written agreement of the secretary of each of the Unions or Union concerned and the secretary of the Union within whose territory such Match, tour or Series of Matches is due to take place.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)

I think the Windies might have had something to say about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.