• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
But by far the biggest single reason is that our game is not all that attractive to the average Ocker.

We have seen other codes go through huge scandals, splits, you name it. A number of much loved VFL franchises were killed in the lead-up to the launch of the AFL.

Soccer has lost a number of franchises over the years.

Rugby league had the enormously divisive Super League wars.

And yet, they are all either thriving, or at least doing a helluva lot better than us.

Blame the sport’s governing body all you like, if it makes you feel better. But sometimes it is actually more productive to face the facts. We are not a preferred code for the vast majority of Australians, and never have been.

T

TOCC

Blame the sport’s governing body all you like, if it makes you feel better. But sometimes it is actually more productive to face the facts. We are not a preferred code for the vast majority of Australians, and never have been.

Il concede rugby isn't the preferred code.... won't argue about that...

Will you concede the fact that the governing body is underperforming and have made multiple decisions which have severely damaged the code in Australia over the past 15 years?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
But by far the biggest single reason is that our game is not all that attractive to the average Ocker.

We have seen other codes go through huge scandals, splits, you name it. A number of much loved VFL franchises were killed in the lead-up to the launch of the AFL.

Soccer has lost a number of franchises over the years.

Rugby league had the enormously divisive Super League wars.

And yet, they are all either thriving, or at least doing a helluva lot better than us.

"Soccer has lost a number of franchises over the years" same with basketball. But what they do is let the weakest drop out, what does the ARU do, not only do they keep the weakest one who has cost the ARU tens of millions in extra funding but they get rid of the most financially secure Team of them all. And why? well probably because of personal self interest by the Chairman and the COO Rob Clarke, it shows that the board and management are just a farce.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You could list dozens of reasons why we are where we are. rife nepotism and individuals focussed on advancing their own organisations ahead of the greater good of the game in Australia is a significant factor, not just at a national level, but right through the ranks from state to clubs.
Yep...as to simplify the problems would underestimate the level of efforts and changes required at multiple levels and areas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have my doubts about this comp, however I was told that some contracts are being structured to permit super players to play in this comp as opposed, I think, to NRC.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes, it's been quiet for a period. Bit like crickets.

Not much in the press about this so not much to discuss....I guess in fairness it is bunkering down and working out the details which takes a little while before can release anything more at this stage.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Another talented school boy lost to league yesterday - only way to fix this is improve investment in our game - hence ARU working with twiggy and not against best opportunity here. I only hope egos don't get in the way as twiggy best opportunity rugby has had in this country since went professional with potential for many millions to be invested by twiggy plus extra ip offered by his team he has put together. Don't screw it up ARU as you are in the last chance saloon with whatever supporters you have not managed to alinenate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Very interesting press conference this morning. Aru now has Nov 2 to respond to 2 playing schedules. Going to World Rugby for endorsement Nov 14 day after senate hearing recommendations are released. Interesting times indeed.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
My tip is to go ahead in the same time slot as Super Rugby.
The IRB have been moving towards a International Test Rugby window July- November.
And trying to keep this window free of domestic competitions.
Well done Andrew Forrest - gaining momentum and looks like the IRB is right behind you.
Not surprisingly the ARU is struggling to make the right decisions - but always quick to make the wrong ones!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
My tip is to go ahead in the same time slot as Super Rugby.
The IRB have been moving towards a International Test Rugby window July- November.
And trying to keep this window free of domestic competitions.
Well done Andrew Forrest - gaining momentum and looks like the IRB is right behind you.
Not surprisingly the ARU is struggling to make the right decisions - but always quick to make the wrong ones!
Am I missing something? The vast majority of domestic comps are played between July and November

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Strewth have a listen to the press conference it explains a fair bit. By the sounds of it theres 2 time slots been suggested that the ARU has to decide which one. Mind you both time slots at world rugbys suggestion. Sound like The ARU are maybe getting backed into a corner. A lot of streaming partners involved as well.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Span of 60 to 90 degrees longitude max.

That's good time-zoning.

jnTbiP9.png

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The presentations .ppt is downloadable via the website.

I've been at work so haven't had a chance to listen to the presentation, but I did flick through the deck.

All in all, Twiggy seems very serious about this, and with an annual dividend of >500 million, that's nothing to laugh at. A few things:

Standard of Play:

Relative to Super Rugby, people suggest that the players in this competition won't be of the same standard, and therefore the competition won't be as entertaining.

Whilst the players certainly won't be of the same quality as those in other professional competitions, quality of player does not necessarily indicate quality of play, nor the entertainment value of that play.

The better the players, the less time and space oppositions have. People laud the Shute Shield for its entertainment value, but when I watch all I see is sloppy defences.

If the A League can prosper in this country, then the IPR can certainly prosper in Asia.

Player Interest:

I have a bunch of friends who played NSW u20s / Aus u20s who never reached higher levels of footy. They still play 1st Grade in the Shute Shield, and would dive on any professional or semi-professional contract that offered itself.

People often scoff at $30-$60k contracts on this board, but any of my friends would happily spend 2 months overseas in an exciting Asian destination for any contract, pro rata, of the amount above.

What 20-something year old, who hasn't yet started their career, wouldn't?

I imagine that Twiggy will look to secure a few marquee players, before filling the rest with the top players from the NRC and club competitions around the country. The Shute Shield and the Queensland Premier Rugby competition could be the real losers here.

Broadcasting:

Holy moly, mother of God Twiggy I love you.

The slide deck very clearly outlines Twiggy's desire to follow the e-Sports streaming model. This is the direction that Rugby needs to head in, and quickly.

If Twiggy can tap into even a small percentage of the markets in which he's choosing to operate, this digital broadcasting method could pay massive dividends.

It's a huge risk to take, and only Twiggy is in the position to take it with his financial security.

Event coordination:

His desire to play in smaller stadiums, with a family-friendly party environment is something that the 7s does so well, but the rest of Australian Rugby does so badly.

If he can pull it off it could change how the sports entire brand is perceived in Australia.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this all plays out. If it goes well it could be Australian Rugby's get-out clause come the next round of Super Rugby negotiations.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
busy at the moment so have seen nothing about the plan.
But looking at your comments the Broadcasting arrangement jumps out at me.
I don't know how these things work but it looks to me he is undermining the ARU's biggest income stream.
He won't forget how they treated him and I would think North and his mates will be on the list also.

Status
Not open for further replies.