• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Which clubs are the Class of 2010 going to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bruce things must have changed if Uni no longer approach players who perform well at carnivals at or above a certain level. I know it happened in the mid nineties (first hand experience) and Uni have gone from strength to strength since then.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Can tell you that Parramatta has made a direct approach to at least four Kings first 15 players already with a very positive response. Parramatta will be a different club next year with new coaching director appointment of Glen Cristini , an excellent off season program supported by the ARU , a strong financial position and plenty of ambition. the comment that the club will have nothing to offer young players is ill informed and the writer will have significant egg on their face this time next year.

As a former Eastwood player there is almost nothing I would like to see more than Parramatta returning to its glorious past. Even at the expense of my former team, if that is what it takes.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce things must have changed if Uni no longer approach players who perform well at carnivals at or above a certain level. I know it happened in the mid nineties (first hand experience) and Uni have gone from strength to strength since then.

Cutter, I stated that Upright was misinformed when he stated: "My observation is that Uni approach everyone who has been in either NTS or NSW schools." The misinformation lies in the word "everyone". It would be totally counterproductive to approach a player who then finds that he was just part of a blanket pitch to all the talented players.

Sydney Uni adopts a very targetted approach focussed on trying to fill gaps in its playing roster. It also looks for players who would be likely to fit in at the club and who are prepared to commit to a very heavy training schedule.

I am sure there is no connection between you knocking back the Club's approach in the mid nineties and the fact that "Uni have gone from strength to strength since then." :)

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
What constitutes a scholarship at Uni anyway? How many of these kids actually study at the school?

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
A club takes more than a year to turn around/rebuild. Whilst I appreciate your hope, I can't see Tom Connor and Guy Millar especially heading to Parramatta.
Nobody saying club will perform any miracles however can tell you that the club is developing very posistive momentum. Interesting you should mention those two players would like a small wager!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
What constitutes a scholarship at Uni anyway? How many of these kids actually study at the school?

Drew, there are only a few school leavers who are given scholarships when they join Sydney Uni. They are awarded for one year at a time and their monetary value would average around $2000. In addition there are a range of support services such as gym membership, participation in the EDS program, academic and career counselling and mentoring, availability of tutoring, medical services, etc.

Those on formal scholarships study at Sydney Uni but the rugby club also provides scholarship assistance to a small number of players who study at other institutions.

All of the Colts players are strongly encouraged to undertake programs of study. The majority of Colts attend Sydney Uni but others are at UTS, Macquarie, ACPE, TAFE or are on apprenticeships, etc.

U

Upright

Drew, there are only a few school leavers who are given scholarships when they join Sydney Uni. They are awarded for one year at a time and their monetary value would average around $2000. In addition there are a range of support services such as gym membership, participation in the EDS program, academic and career counselling and mentoring, availability of tutoring, medical services, etc.

Those on formal scholarships study at Sydney Uni but the rugby club also provides scholarship assistance to a small number of players who study at other institutions.

All of the Colts players are strongly encouraged to undertake programs of study. The majority of Colts attend Sydney Uni but others are at UTS, Macquarie, ACPE, TAFE or are on apprenticeships, etc.

Bruce,
Accept the word "everyone" was not well chosen, and should have as you say been "targetted" individuals. My real point however was that good young players, like the three mentioned (all of whom attend university), are highly likely to be approached by Syd Uni, however they do have a choice and that choosing to stay with their district club is not an impediment to their development and may in the longer term once they move out of Colts be a wiser choice as they will be well entrenched with their club.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce,
Accept the word "everyone" was not well chosen, and should have as you say been "targetted" individuals. My real point however was that good young players, like the three mentioned (all of whom attend university), are highly likely to be approached by Syd Uni, however they do have a choice and that choosing to stay with their district club is not an impediment to their development and may in the longer term once they move out of Colts be a wiser choice as they will be well entrenched with their club.

I agree with you, Upright. Players and their parents have to weigh up the relative advantages of switching to a new club or staying with the club where they already have affiliation and as you say they are "well entrenched".

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Perhaps Bruce can tell us why Big Willy Skelton is playing at Sydney University colts. Why didn't he join his best mate Steve Cummins and others such as Jason Havea and Sam Ahofono at West Harbour?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)

Fair enough, just wondering.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Perhaps Bruce can tell us why Big Willy Skelton is playing at Sydney University colts. Why didn't he join his best mate Steve Cummins and others such as Jason Havea and Sam Ahofono at West Harbour?

I have no knowledge, observer, as to why he is playing at Uni. Possibly, as you suggested on another thread, it is linked to his educational aspirations.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have no knowledge, observer, as to why he is playing at Uni. Possibly, as you suggested on another thread, it is linked to his educational aspirations.

It would be really interesting to know how many of the current University First grade squad are studying at Sydney University.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Like GPS scholarships, Sydney Uni scholarships are a hot issue. As with that other thread, let's try to keep to innuendo out of it. Evidence is appreciated if you have something to report.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It would be really interesting to know how many of the current University First grade squad are studying at Sydney University.

wamberal, of last Sunday's run-on side, nine are either current or past Sydney Uni students while another five are studying or have studied elsewhere while playing for the University.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
wamberal, of last Sunday's run-on side, nine are either current or past Sydney Uni students while another five are studying or have studied elsewhere while playing for the University.

The point is not whether or not they are studying, the point is: are they studying at Sydney University.

If not, why are they playing there, instead of playing for a genuine club, with genuine junior development programmes?

Honestly, Bruce, with the best will in the world, you guys are a blight on the game. I played against Sydney Uni, many years ago, and they were mostly still students, most, if not all, of them were living at the Uni. When they graduated, some of them gave up the game, some of them moved out into the clubs.

If you love rugby, why do you guys put all your time, energy, and money into an enterprise that is actually working against the best interests of the wider development of the game in Sydney, and elsewhere? Why don't you encourage graduates to move on, back into the clubs, where the real development and propagation of the game takes place? Junior development, community involvement.

You have never produced a single new player for the game. That, alone, is something to hang your heads about. If you have a conscience, that is.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe it is time to start a new thread looking at Shute Shield Player Club Recruiting Strategies.

We have wandered quite far off topic here.

I will say that Uni are not the only Shute Shield franchise which is keen to recruit and retain top level players, regardless of whether they have come up through that franchises junior development programme, or even from within that club's particular "geographic footprint".

I reckon to a greater or lesser degree all clubs do this. As has been said elsewhere, First Grade Rugby clubs are a business.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The point is not whether or not they are studying, the point is: are they studying at Sydney University.

If not, why are they playing there, instead of playing for a genuine club, with genuine junior development programmes?

Honestly, Bruce, with the best will in the world, you guys are a blight on the game. I played against Sydney Uni, many years ago, and they were mostly still students, most, if not all, of them were living at the Uni. When they graduated, some of them gave up the game, some of them moved out into the clubs.

If you love rugby, why do you guys put all your time, energy, and money into an enterprise that is actually working against the best interests of the wider development of the game in Sydney, and elsewhere? Why don't you encourage graduates to move on, back into the clubs, where the real development and propagation of the game takes place? Junior development, community involvement.

You have never produced a single new player for the game. That, alone, is something to hang your heads about. If you have a conscience, that is.

I think that is very harsh wamberal. I think the Sydney Uni product has damaged club rugby, but to call it a blight on the game oversteps the mark a bit. Most of these guys DO go to Sydney Uni, and a lot of them DO live on or around campus.

And I think Sydney Uni have actually developed many players who now play at the highest level. Just because they come into the club at age 18 as opposed to age 7 doesn't mean that they have no role in player development. As much as you may not think so, there is plenty to learn about the game after you leave school.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think what Uni achieves for their student/rugby players is fantastic.

The progression from schoolboy to senior ranks in any sport is difficult and many athletes drop out. Many find it impossible to combine tertiary study, work and their chosen sport.

Sydney Uni offer scholarships, excellent rugby development and a desire to help their members achieve academically. They are successful because that is what young men want and need.

Rather than complain about unfair advantages, clubs such as Eastwood and Randwick could have their colts affiliated with and playing out of Macquarie and NSW Universities and offer similar programs. There is probably a tertiary institution for every club

This way all clubs could offer better facilities, help their players with their education and more importantly provide a transition between schoolboy and senior rugby.

T

the berries

Go to West Harbour mate. You will not look back. I know a number of Hills Sports players there already. And a couple heading that way next season. They are a real club supporting the code. By the way I don't have any thing to do with them and this ain't a plug. But if your boy really has the goods go there and you will not look back. I would put my house on that.

T

the berries

Well why didn't big Willie take up the offer of going to Japan. He was offered a top proposition, by the way big Willie is an A grade student as is Steve Cummins. But you would have to go with Willie on the maths front. Willie plays for fun and that is how it sholuld be. Believe me when he gets serious its not good. This young man has an enormous amount of compassion for his apponent. Just watch him play league and see the real Willie.

Status
Not open for further replies.