• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Which Referee Is Awarding Most Penalties In Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes they won because they totally outplayed their opponents. I don't buy the rubbish that the Englsh were robbed. That is very much like the rubbish that went on after the Italy V ABs game a few years ago. The Italians whinged that Dickenson didn't award a penalty try when they were no-where near scoring the push over, and the ABs whinged with Paddy's help that they were hard done by in the scrum which was rubbish (incidently notice the Crusaders still whinging for exactly the same cause and with the same player against the Force with Kaplan the ref and what is it four years later?)

I do not believe there is a bad test referee. There are some that I do not prefer, such as Kaplan and B. Lawrence, but in saying that it is a long way to accusing them of corruption as seen in Soccer. I do not believe there is any evidence to support that. Our refs do their best IMO with a game that has complex laws as written even without taking into account the variations and interpretations also added on.
Not saying they because of..... I said they mostered them on the scoreboard. When I say guessing I mean scrums because that is where most of the guess works come into play. Can you honestly tell me that referees have not been targeting certain individual props in the scrums?

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Rassie - Are you fair dinkum mate? How many conspiracy theories have you got on the referees?
lol I think you misunderstood me. Referees have identified props and are penalizing them. Just like professional coaches referees analyze teams as well to prepare. Take a look at the props most penalized last couple of years and you will see that names stand out of props. If it was mostly names of just props fine then at least they have been subjective and know what is going on but the same names popping up time after time clearly shows that they have been identified and one is doing what the other referee did in the past and looking at a single player to nail him rather than keeping a eye on everyone.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Terry J - my "common Law" reference or precedent rulings refers to the subtle changes in the interpretation and application of the Laws of the game by the referees and their directors over time. The game has not been static. The best example is the Scrum. The Law regarding the scrum as discussed here and by Brian Moore as I referenced earlier is perhaps the best example (given how much it has been discussed). The "Hit" crept into the game over a number of years and it was adopted by all sides to compete. The IRB through the Referees legitimised the tactic by regulating through proceedures of the tactic. The Laws as they were and still are call for the the scrum to be square and steady and not pushing to take place before the ball is fed (straight). The hit goes against all these requirements but it has developed an entire series of interpretations and rulings regarding binding, early packing etc etc etc. You can see this effect in other areas of the game as well as interpretations are made and adopted generally without direct changes to the actual written laws.
Thank God I am not the only person to have noticed and commented on this. Although I wasn't an 'A' student at physics, even I have worked out that having 2 packs of forwards weighing 800-900 kgs lining up and crashing into each other is likely to produce collapse, unsteadiness and no doubt many other things.

If we go back not so long ago, the referee made the mark, stepped back and the forwards came together in their own time. Penalties given for charging or going before the other side were ready etc., and the usual array of penalties for collapsing etc. were applied, but scrums were better than today.

I believe that the IRB are currently trialling a process in South Africa which removes the hit and re-instates a softer scrum engagement. (I hate that word, but use it so everyone knows what I mean)

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Thank God I am not the only person to have noticed and commented on this. Although I wasn't an 'A' student at physics, even I have worked out that having 2 packs of forwards weighing 800-900 kgs lining up and crashing into each other is likely to produce collapse, unsteadiness and no doubt many other things.

If we go back not so long ago, the referee made the mark, stepped back and the forwards came together in their own time. Penalties given for charging or going before the other side were ready etc., and the usual array of penalties for collapsing etc. were applied, but scrums were better than today.

I believe that the IRB are currently trialling a process in South Africa which removes the hit and re-instates a softer scrum engagement. (I hate that word, but use it so everyone knows what I mean)
The thing is there is nothing in the rules saying anything about the hit. Why trail it? Just tell referees to let them come together without force.

The interesting thing is that the props put their hands on the ground to stabilize the scrum after the hit and that is a effort to keep the scrum from collapsing. Yet it was made illegal by some clever nut at the IRB.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The thing is there is nothing in the rules saying anything about the hit. Why trail it? Just tell referees to let them come together without force.

The interesting thing is that the props put their hands on the ground to stabilize the scrum after the hit and that is a effort to keep the scrum from collapsing. Yet it was made illegal by some clever nut at the IRB.

I agree with you, but that's what the IRB have decided to do.

And you're right about the props as well, but we live in a world where referees blow the whistle when the ball has emerged and the half is about to pass it because something about the scrum didn't meet his standard.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree with you, but that's what the IRB have decided to do.

And you're right about the props as well, but we live in a world where referees blow the whistle when the ball has emerged and the half is about to pass it because something about the scrum didn't meet his standard.
Rugby is a funny old game. You create rules to see more open play and you end up with less space, 150 rucks and the same amount of kicks. They are even start phasing out the rolling mall. Soon we will get to a scenario where one have to ask what s the difference between league and union besides for the 15 men on the field? In 2001 we enjoyed some great matches. One gotta ask why they implemented all these breakdown laws?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rugby is a funny old game. You create rules to see more open play and you end up with less space, 150 rucks and the same amount of kicks. They are even start phasing out the rolling mall. Soon we will get to a scenario where one have to ask what s the difference between league and union besides for the 15 men on the field? In 2001 we enjoyed some great matches. One gotta ask why they implemented all these breakdown laws?

It goes back further than that. Up until the early 90s, the team moving forward at rucks and mauls received the scrum feed. Rugby was played this way for well over 100 years. The big advantage was that all 8 forwards had to be in pushing to get the next scrum feed, so there were less defenders in the backline. Some genius decided that use it or lose it was the way to go, so moving forward no longer gave you as big an advantage, so now teams commit 3 or 4 forwards to the tackle and the rest fan out in defence.

They bring in these laws and don't consider the unintended consequences on other parts of the game.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
It goes back further than that. Up until the early 90s, the team moving forward at rucks and mauls received the scrum feed. Rugby was played this way for well over 100 years. The big advantage was that all 8 forwards had to be in pushing to get the next scrum feed, so there were less defenders in the backline. Some genius decided that use it or lose it was the way to go, so moving forward no longer gave you as big an advantage, so now teams commit 3 or 4 forwards to the tackle and the rest fan out in defence.

They bring in these laws and don't consider the unintended consequences on other parts of the game.
Correct but in those times you would not dare to slow a ball down at a ruck as you would get tiger striped. Neither would back line players dare to go into a ruck.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Correct but in those times you would not dare to slow a ball down at a ruck as you would get tiger striped. Neither would back line players dare to go into a ruck.

And again, the laws didn't change - referees and administrators decided on a different interpretation. Whereas once, if a player was going for the ball with his feet and an opposition player was rucked in the process, it was play on. Now the most innocuous contact between boot and body is penalised immediately.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
And again, the laws didn't change - referees and administrators decided on a different interpretation. Whereas once, if a player was going for the ball with his feet and an opposition player was rucked in the process, it was play on. Now the most innocuous contact between boot and body is penalised immediately.
Technically yes. Laws changed or not controlled rucking is still being outlawed and its considered as foul play.

A ruck is not a guy getting tackled then two other guys joining trying to protect the ball. A ruck is guys on their feet driving over the ball. That is what a ruck was and should be. If you decide to lay in the way or put a hand on that ball or not release quick enough its your own problem from receiving the old size 11. There is no purpose of it in todays game as its almost turned into the rugby league fashion of getting tackled then rolling it at the back with the feet then bash up again while the defense fan out and the rest of the forwards do the same on the attacking side. Now you sit with too much players just standing around waiting for the ball and that is why there is 13 guys per side only in league. But with the forwards having to drive over the ball to win it actually pull those in trying to compete for the ball as the object is to go over the ball. These days it get passed back to the half back which should be a offense in the first place.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The funny thing about "The Ruck" is that nowhere in the rules does it say you can slipper a player laying on the ground. The fact is that a player laying on the ground got trodden on as the ruck moved backwards and forwards over them, or tried to. They morphed into intentionally using the studs dragged across the back or arm or whatever to ensure they moved, and in more than a few cases stomping the shit out of the poor bastard trapped in there. Nowhere did it say in the rules that this was permissible and it does in fact (and I'll leave it to others to quote Sections and Subsections) that you cannot intentional play players without the ball, players on the ground, kicking, punching stomping etc.

The romanticised view of "rucking" is just that a rose coloured glasses backward view of something that didn't work that well and wasn't in the spirit of the game in any event. I have in my library of VHS tapes (yes I still have a working machine that I repair every few months, somewhere I even have a Beta unit :)) many old games and the same variables we see in today's game are there, games with slow ball and games with unbelievably fast ball.

Rugby's vagaries are part of its charm to me and part of its character, League games are pretty much all the same at the highest level, the same quality every day of the week with little deviation. It is a very marketable product in that way. Rugby however is different, more than a few games are just terrible slug fests where there is little to recommend them to any but the purists (among which I include myself), then there are those games which are just sublime, where the skills displayed both individually and as a team just leave you elated and stunned and crowing about the game to all who will listen and those that won't. It makes Rugby much more difficult to market, it makes watching problematic at times, but we all have to realise that the great myriad of factors that go into making that sublime game include the vagaries in the Laws AND the application of those Laws by individual referees and their personalities.

Anyway that is my last word on this thread - Referee's have shockers like the rest of use, they may well get a focus on some individuals who they observe over numerous game offending in a particular manner to exclusion of others, they may have other flaws (heaven forbid we get somebody with a personality like say Mr Steve Walsh). I do not believe we have bad referees, we have certainly had bad management of referees, with some placed in bad situations that could have been avoided. We will see bad decisions, maybe some game changers, but there is always another viewpoint that the educated person should try and find and consider before condemning as "incompetent". My final last word is I appreciate the efforts of the refs, all of them as they add to immense value to the game, often under extreme duress and more often with a total lack of appreciation, and without them I would never again see that sublime game that lives within us all in our memories and we watch again and again for the next time it happens.

I do however reserve the right to yell out the tried and true - "Are ya blind, get some glasses" and my personal favourite at oranges hand him a copy of the Laws with the advice he might actually want to read this for the first time during the break.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The funny thing about "The Ruck" is that nowhere in the rules does it say you can slipper a player laying on the ground. The fact is that a player laying on the ground got trodden on as the ruck moved backwards and forwards over them, or tried to. They morphed into intentionally using the studs dragged across the back or arm or whatever to ensure they moved, and in more than a few cases stomping the shit out of the poor bastard trapped in there. Nowhere did it say in the rules that this was permissible and it does in fact (and I'll leave it to others to quote Sections and Subsections) that you cannot intentional play players without the ball, players on the ground, kicking, punching stomping etc.

The romanticised view of "rucking" is just that a rose coloured glasses backward view of something that didn't work that well and wasn't in the spirit of the game in any event. I have in my library of VHS tapes (yes I still have a working machine that I repair every few months, somewhere I even have a Beta unit :)) many old games and the same variables we see in today's game are there, games with slow ball and games with unbelievably fast ball.

Rugby's vagaries are part of its charm to me and part of its character, League games are pretty much all the same at the highest level, the same quality every day of the week with little deviation. It is a very marketable product in that way. Rugby however is different, more than a few games are just terrible slug fests where there is little to recommend them to any but the purists (among which I include myself), then there are those games which are just sublime, where the skills displayed both individually and as a team just leave you elated and stunned and crowing about the game to all who will listen and those that won't. It makes Rugby much more difficult to market, it makes watching problematic at times, but we all have to realise that the great myriad of factors that go into making that sublime game include the vagaries in the Laws AND the application of those Laws by individual referees and their personalities.

Anyway that is my last word on this thread - Referee's have shockers like the rest of use, they may well get a focus on some individuals who they observe over numerous game offending in a particular manner to exclusion of others, they may have other flaws (heaven forbid we get somebody with a personality like say Mr Steve Walsh). I do not believe we have bad referees, we have certainly had bad management of referees, with some placed in bad situations that could have been avoided. We will see bad decisions, maybe some game changers, but there is always another viewpoint that the educated person should try and find and consider before condemning as "incompetent". My final last word is I appreciate the efforts of the refs, all of them as they add to immense value to the game, often under extreme duress and more often with a total lack of appreciation, and without them I would never again see that sublime game that lives within us all in our memories and we watch again and again for the next time it happens.

I do however reserve the right to yell out the tried and true - "Are ya blind, get some glasses" and my personal favourite at oranges hand him a copy of the Laws with the advice he might actually want to read this for the first time during the break.
You're right, raking, stomping, kicking players on the ground was and still is illegal. My earlier point was that the laws have never changed on this, just the refereeing interpretation.

The definition of a ruck by the way is "one player from either team in closed contact over the ball". Doesn't matter whether they are driving over or stationary. Once that ruck is formed, players must only play the ball with their feet until it emerges. Rucking is the action of playing the ball with the foot in those circumstances. IMO players should be able to play the ball with their feet AS LONG AS THEY ARE CLEARLY PLAYING THE BALL and not the man. If they play the man all the sanctions which have been available to referees for decades apply.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
You're right, raking, stomping, kicking players on the ground was and still is illegal. My earlier point was that the laws have never changed on this, just the refereeing interpretation.

The definition of a ruck by the way is "one player from either team in closed contact over the ball". Doesn't matter whether they are driving over or stationary. Once that ruck is formed, players must only play the ball with their feet until it emerges. Rucking is the action of playing the ball with the foot in those circumstances. IMO players should be able to play the ball with their feet AS LONG AS THEY ARE CLEARLY PLAYING THE BALL and not the man. If they play the man all the sanctions which have been available to referees for decades apply.
But how do you get the ball over a man lying there spoiling it? Touch him and you are suspended. Anyways we agree on some aspects lets not go too far from the original thread but talking about the standard of refereeing. Do you know the Pretoria black boots attack? One of the easiest ways to score a 7 pointer and getting through the defense. This is the 2nd thing they show half backs when signing up for the Bulls.

ref1_zps6f1b7196.gif

ref2_zps33dc10c4.gif

ref3_zps338289e5.gif

ref4_zps12814ebf.gif

Look where the referee stands and which hole they aim for. Defender only note black boots next to him not realizing it belongs to a referee actually and the hole is bigger what they think it is. All those instances lead to 7 pointers and I got hours of material of that hole. Some referees still go standing the defense. George Gregan was brilliant picking up a referee standing in the defense. That classic 2000 game every time Watson stood in the defense he aimed at him. When Watson wasn't standing there he exploited Lomu who had no idea what drift means or when to commit. Two of Mortlocks try and Paul try came exploiting Lomu

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But how do you get the ball over a man lying there spoiling it? Touch him and you are suspended. Anyways we agree on some aspects lets not go too far from the original thread but talking about the standard of refereeing. Do you know the Pretoria black boots attack? One of the easiest ways to score a 7 pointer and getting through the defense. This is the 2nd thing they show half backs when signing up for the Bulls.

ref1_zps6f1b7196.gif

ref2_zps33dc10c4.gif

ref3_zps338289e5.gif

ref4_zps12814ebf.gif

Look where the referee stands and which hole they aim for. Defender only note black boots next to him not realizing it belongs to a referee actually and the hole is bigger what they think it is. All those instances lead to 7 pointers and I got hours of material of that hole. Some referees still go standing the defense. George Gregan was brilliant picking up a referee standing in the defense. That classic 2000 game every time Watson stood in the defense he aimed at him. When Watson wasn't standing there he exploited Lomu who had no idea what drift means or when to commit. Two of Mortlocks try and Paul try came exploiting Lomu
I've always said half backs are the smartest players on the field:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Its funny that the referees never notice this as you will find them still standing in that hole lol

A lot of the new breed of referee haven't played that much rugby themselves. Many are now specialist referees before they leave school - which I think is a problem. They get sucked in to look at the breakdown and have no real appreciation of what else is happening - so they stand in the defensive line to appear to be checking the defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.