• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Whining about the cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm happy with night games, allows me to do something in the day and still make it to the rugby. Going to the match in the middle of a Saturday screws up the whole weekend. Perhaps Al could wear thermals, or if he's cold then do a little more running around the park.

Agreed that they might as well tough it out now so NZ isn't as much of a shock... even at 2pm in Carrisbrook you get horizontal rain and negative temps, Canberra would look like a tropical holiday.

That photo of Al's bedroom eyes is quite disturbing..

BaxterAl.jpg

F

formeropenside

Moses said:
I'm happy with night games, allows me to do something in the day and still make it to the rugby. Going to the match in the middle of a Saturday screws up the whole weekend. Perhaps Al could wear thermals, or if he's cold then do a little more running around the park.

Agreed that they might as well tough it out now so NZ isn't as much of a shock... even at 2pm in Carrisbrook you get horizontal rain and negative temps, Canberra would look like a tropical holiday.

That photo of Al's bedroom eyes is quite disturbing..

BaxterAl.jpg

I guess we now know how he put Sheridan off his scrummaging in the test last year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Whatever it takes fos :)

I wouldn't mind the odd day game e.g. against lower-ranked visiting nations like Samoa or Tonga. But the real issue with having afternoon games is you're missing out on all those people who want to watch club rugby getting along to the game.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
You're also missing everyone in Africa and Europe (personal interest)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's not only the cold which pisses people off with night games, it's also the wet pill. We all understand night games are necessary for the broadcasting dollar, but a few afternoon games here and there would be a nice change. Don't forget there were quite a few Sunday afternoon matches early in Super 12.

That's the path I'd recommend: some Sunday afternoon Super matches as well against minor nations.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Sorry, a prop - a fucking PROP! - doesn't want to play in the wet and cold?

Aw, diddums not like nasty winter game then?

Man the fuck up, you whinging soft-cock! You're coming to Dublin in November this year - what the fuck do think it's going to be like then? We don't whine about playing in heat and hard ground, so you can just suck it up and play the bloody game like everyone else, you moaning beeeeeeotch.

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I read the article a couple times from that link (trying to be thorough). He just said the arvos were better conditions to play rugby. Controversial stuff there.
Hmm, methinks a few are getting a little carried away with the invective here, trying to prove their Shackleton of the Antarctic-like toughness to god knows who. Unless there were other pages to it which I couldn't see, the whinging about the cold and wet bit escaped me.
I actually agree - afternoon tests were great, and a few from time to time would be great.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Thomond78 said:
You're coming to Dublin in November this year - what the fuck do think it's going to be like then?

Full of mouthy Irish dickheads by the sounds of it :)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
NTA said:
Thomond78 said:
You're coming to Dublin in November this year - what the fuck do think it's going to be like then?

There were plenty of those moaning about the cold in NZ last year and demanding day time tests.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
cyclopath said:
I read the article a couple times from that link (trying to be thorough). He just said the arvos were better conditions to play rugby. Controversial stuff there.
Hmm, methinks a few are getting a little carried away with the invective here, trying to prove their Shackleton of the Antarctic-like toughness to god knows who. Unless there were other pages to it which I couldn't see, the whinging about the cold and wet bit escaped me.
I actually agree - afternoon tests were great, and a few from time to time would be great.

[quote="Iron Al" Baxter]It is excellent playing in the sun and the warmth, and dry conditions.[/quote]

CT2964.jpg

So, when's he announcing his move to Stade Francais, then...?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ah, Thomo, I would have thought one so erudite as our Hibernian wordsmith would know the difference between saying something is good, and "whinging" that its opposite is bad.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
cyclopath said:
Ah, Thomo, I would have thought one so erudite as our Hibernian wordsmith would know the difference between saying something is good, and "whinging" that its opposite is bad.

Direct comparison made by "All-Man Al", the Iron Man of world rugby, that the nice, dry, warm conditions were better. Therefore, wind, rain, cold are not part of what Big Butch Baxter does, apparently.

I feel another bout of "pissing wet in Dublin in November" sickness coming over a certain Antipodean team... ;)

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We'll stop our tighthead prop from saying he'd prefer to play in nice (as opposed to miserable) conditions if you stop your captain from crying if he gets dumped out of a ruck.

Deal?

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Cutter said:
We'll stop our tighthead prop from saying he'd prefer to play in nice (as opposed to miserable) conditions if you stop your captain from crying if he gets dumped out of a ruck.

Deal?

So, you're saying the Kiwis are impeccable in their approach to rucking?

Interesting. Nick, come over here, would you? Cutter wants a word. O0

S

Spook

Thomond78 said:
cyclopath said:

Direct comparison made by "All-Man Al", the Iron Man of world rugby, that the nice, dry, warm conditions were better. Therefore, wind, rain, cold are not part of what Big Butch Baxter does, apparently.

I feel another bout of "pissing wet in Dublin in November" sickness coming over a certain Antipodean team... ;)

I've was at those two games at Dublin where it pissed down rain and the Wallabies played liked big blouses. As Chopper says, harden the fuck up Australia. 8)

S

Spook

Biffo said:
NTA said:
Thomond78 said:

There were plenty of those moaning about the cold in NZ last year and demanding day time tests.

Only problem I have with NZ tests at night is that the fog can be bad for TV viewing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Thomond78 said:
Direct comparison made by "All-Man Al", the Iron Man of world rugby, that the nice, dry, warm conditions were better.

Dry and warm (like about 15oC IMHO) is much better than pissing rain and sub-zero in my opinion. I don't mind a wet track, but I prefer my opposition prop to be able to keep his feet so I can smash him good and proper. Refs get nervous when the pitch is slippery and it pisses me off.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Ash said:
Moses said:

Anyone thinking Shaun Berne?

(And no, I couldn't find that photo. :mad:)
Managed to track it down, what a mission!
I remembered a post I made in early 2007 that had a link to the image here, however I'd hotlinked it from smh and it appears they pulled it down from http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/04/13/ShaunBerne_rugbyheaven__350x263.jpg

Anyways, off to archive.org and what do you know, they've got a backup of it from August 2006, happy days!

Now it's attached to this post for posterity

Attachments

• ShaunBerne_rugbyheaven__350x263.jpg
    ShaunBerne_rugbyheaven__350x263.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.