• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who are the fastest players in NSW rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bradley

I'm guessing here.

Obviously John Grant would win (came 2nd to Lachie Turner in Oz fastest footballer and beat NRL's Jarryd Hayne) if he was fit but I think he is injured because he hasn't been selected in the 7's for Adelaide or Woodies SS this weekend. In his absence I think Clinton Sills will get the money.

Woodies: Ben Batger
Souths: Ryan Shortland
Wests: Macquire Tatola
Easts: Anton Lavin
Norths: Henari Veratau, Samu Wara
Para: Dan Yakopo
Uni: Tom Kingston. I would like to know Bruce's opinion.
Rats: Dylan Smouha
Wicks: Clinton Sills
Gays: Matt McDougall
Manly: BJ Hartman

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Manly have Chris Yarrington and Richard Hooper as their 1sts wingers this weekend. Both can move very quickly.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
unfortunalty i dont think the fastest guys will be sent as it is the day before the games which is a real shame as i for one would love to see it happen properly.
John Grant
Chris Yarrington
Clinton Sills
Ben Batger
Henari Veratau
would be my top five in no order, but with john grant to win it

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Amazing how the fastest man in NSW are all from Sydney!!! I'm sure there are some pretty quick blokes playing in the country that would acquit themselves very well in this event

lets call it the fastest man in the Shute Shield shall we

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just read the article and this is how its presented

"pre-game race is set to determine the fastest player in Sydney club Rugby".

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm guessing here.

Obviously John Grant would win (came 2nd to Lachie Turner in Oz fastest footballer and beat NRL's Jarryd Hayne) if he was fit but I think he is injured because he hasn't been selected in the 7's for Adelaide or Woodies SS this weekend. In his absence I think Clinton Sills will get the money.

Woodies: Ben Batger
Souths: Ryan Shortland
Wests: Macquire Tatola
Easts: Anton Lavin
Norths: Henari Veratau, Samu Wara
Para: Dan Yakopo
Uni: Tom Kingston. I would like to know Bruce's opinion.
Rats: Dylan Smouha
Wicks: Clinton Sills
Gays: Matt McDougall
Manly: BJ Hartman

Sorry, can't help you, Bradley. Tom trains with the Waratahs. In any case Uni players never run 100s in training. Their sprint training distances are 10m, 20m and 40m.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Bruce, do you think they'll send Tom Kingston for the sprint, or another Uni speedster. Tom Carter perhaps?

B

Bradley

Bruce, do you think they'll send Tom Kingston for the sprint, or another Uni speedster. Tom Carter perhaps?

LMAO. Anyway, I have looked into this thing a bit more. It is being labelled "Fastest man in club rugby - Skins sprint"
It is to help celebrate the start of the Shute Shield competition and to find the fastest man in club rugby.

The winner will receive $1,000 worth of skins gear for their club as well as individual prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd expect Chris Yarrington will be very hard to beat. Won the GPS 100m in a canter back in 2005 IIRC. Jet shoes, hasn't put on too much weight since school either.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)

Pretty sure Matt Hume would be quicker than Tom. Matt broke many GPS sprint records before joinging Uni colts this year. He has been recovering from a groin injury. If he is fit then I think he probably be Uni's fastest.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Moses, I happen to know the sort of times that Tom can run over 10, 20 and 40 metres, and they're not what would normally justify a man of his size being subjected to unrelenting ridicule. But we all have to find ways to entertain ourselves.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
The sprint should be over 40m, that's the relevant distance for rugby. Who would it be if that was the case?

canowindra

Frank Nicholson (4)
John Grant is not injured, just not selected;he trained with Eastwood during the week.So in theory he should be available and with his fitness from 7's should win it.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Thanks, Moses, you got the bite you were probably fishing for.

I just couldn't help myself Bruce, while I really do like Tom Carter as a player, absolutely believe he deserves his spot at the Tahs, I would be quite surprised if Uni sent him as their sprinter

I

International Badboy

Matt Hume will definately take the cake if this comp involves colts

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I just couldn't help myself Bruce, while I really do like Tom Carter as a player, absolutely believe he deserves his spot at the Tahs, I would be quite surprised if Uni sent him as their sprinter

So, I presume, would he, Moses. But if the runners were handicapped according to body weight, I don't think he'd go too shabbily over 50.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The 40 comes from the scouting of professional football players in the US. College players and professional athletes have their times scrutinized because it evaluates 2 core things - explosiveness and short term speed. These are the same skills that are very important in rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.