• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who are the Waratah selectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Force is with him but Luke gets chop

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | April 16, 2009

THE Western Force were stunned last night when told Brett Sheehan and not Test halfback Luke Burgess would be the opposing starting halfback when they play the Waratahs at the Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday night.

When Force coach John Mitchell, who had just arrived in Sydney with the team, was informed of Sheehan's promotion, he asked a journalist: "You're not pulling my leg?"

When convinced Burgess was on the bench, Mitchell added that starting Sheehan for the first time this season was "surprising, to say the least".

This is not to say the Force don't rate Sheehan, as, after all, they are pursuing the Waratahs' No.2 halfback for next season. The startled reaction had more to do with the Test incumbent being dropped to the bench at a time when his form, after a slow Super 14 start, had picked up considerably.

Nonetheless Burgess had been under threat for some time. After just a few rounds, the Waratahs selectors were contemplating dropping Burgess and Kurtley Beale for Sheehan and Daniel Halangahu, but at the last minute opted against it.

A few weeks later, Burgess was informed by the Waratahs team management that his spot was again in jeopardy, but several prominent performances made his spot safe ? until yesterday.

Sheehan's promotion would also have a lot to do with who will run out in the Force No.9 jersey - Josh Valentine. The former Waratahs and Wallabies halfback is a pugnacious, cheeky performer who can antagonise his opponents, as shown several weeks ago when Reds back-rower Scott Higginbotham threw a punch at him during one ruck.

Sheehan is similarly aggressive and will not be intimidated by Valentine.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey explained that Sheehan had been promoted because he "had been doing a really good job for us with relatively little game time this season, so we'd thought we'd give him the chance to rip in from the start this week".

Mitchell, meanwhile, knows that sooner or later Burgess will be on the field.

"The Waratahs are blessed with two very good halfbacks, and they probably complement each other pretty well," the Force coach said.

"Brett's pretty good defensively, and also good in the carry. This may bring a little more patience in their phases because of that physical presence, and then as the game wears on, Luke can come on and be a significant threat around the ruck area."

The only other Waratahs change is Timana Tahu moving to outside-centre for the injured Rob Horne, while Peter Playford comes on to the bench.

Will Caldwell will become NSW's most capped second-rower, with his 64th state appearance having him move ahead of Tom Bowman and John Welborn.

While the Waratahs are trying to overcome last weekend's disappointing reversal against the Bulls, it was not as dramatic as the Force losing in the last seconds to the Hurricanes.

"Naturally we were gutted by last week," Mitchell said. "The guys played some good rugby and we were pretty unfortunate not to get the result.

"We haven't been conditioned to that situation, and this has been a huge learning curve for us. It's more about looking at the things we didn't do during that late period. That has been the focus of this week, rather than focusing on the negative of not getting the result."

OK

Which game has Sheehan played well in? He generally plays OK until he gets smashed into a concussion muddled state.

It seems very clear that there are some very severe limits/rules/roles set by the coaching staff on what the Tahs halves are expected to do if they think Sheehan and Hangers can/could easily do it.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I also don't believe the Sheehan myth of being good in tough situations. I reckon he is about the easiest S14 player to rile up and put off his game. The tiniest little niggle and he loses his composure.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not to mention that breathing hard seems to cause him concussion!! ;D
Stupid idea.
(I now expect him to have a blinder and make me look like a goose).

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I quite like Sheehan. He has played well and his pass generally hits the mark which is what we need when Burgess is off with the pixies. Makes his tackles and scored the winning try against the Highlanders - video here (13MB)

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Moses said:
I quite like Sheehan. He has played well and his pass generally hits the mark which is what we need when Burgess is off with the pixies. Makes his tackles and scored the winning try against the Highlanders - video here (13MB)

Pfft. Mere evidence.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I think it's a cunning ploy by Hicky to bring Beale and Burgess on to win the game from 50 on.

If not.....

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gagger said:
I think it's a cunning ploy by Hicky to bring Beale and Burgess on to win the game from 50 on.

If not.....

Cue Baldrick to Lord Hickadder: "I have a cunning plan..."

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Ash said:
Gagger said:

If not.....

Cue Baldrick to Lord Hickadder: "I have a cunning plan..."

:lmao:exactly, more cunning than a fox who's dean of cunning at cunningham university....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hickey set to act as backs flop

Rupert Guinness | April 20, 2009

CHRIS HICKEY is ready to revamp the Waratahs back line in a desperate bid to kick-start a finals charge.

While the NSW coach was pleased with his side's defence - second only to that of the Crusaders in points conceded - he is frustrated by his back line's lack of firepower. The Waratahs' season points tally of 169 from 10 rounds is ranked 11th.

The Waratahs fell to sixth place on 28 points after Saturday night's defeat to the Western Force at the Sydney Football Stadium.

When asked if he might reconfigure his back line now opponents seem able to read their game, Hickey said: "That's an area we have got to have a really close look at. Our defence is right up there. But in attack, we haven't really been able to fire."

Hickey is set to name a 26-man squad on Wednesday for the Waratahs' tour to South Africa for games against the Cheetahs, Sharks and Lions. The squad that leaves on Saturday during their bye round will include the 22 who were picked for the Force game, two players recently back from injury in tight-head prop Al Baxter and centre Rob Horne plus an extra forward and back.

The latter two should be openside breakaway Beau Robinson, who impressed for Warringah in the Shute Shield on Saturday, and utility back Matt Carraro or winger Ratu Nasiganiyavi, who played for Randwick after being sidelined for three months with a fractured foot.

As for back-line tweaks? Tom Carter has been strong at No.12 this season but his eagerness to carry the ball up has become predictable. Assuming Horne will return to outside-centre, one option could be to shift Timana Tahu from No.13 to 12.

Another is to bring Sam Norton-Knight in from fullback to five-eighth and move Daniel Halangahu from No.10 to inside-centre. While relatively slight in build, Halangahu has the mettle to be a physical distributor at No.12. His calming influence has been shown in his games at No.10 recently, performances that may have even brought him into contention for a Wallabies squad place at five-eighth.

Force playmaker Matt Giteau is a clear leader there, followed by Reds pivot Quade Cooper. But, along with the Brumbies' Christian Lealiifano, Halangahu - whose experience is another valued quality - has done wonders to raise his profile this season.

The Waratahs, expected to announce several contractual developments this week, still risk losing Halangahu altogether. Doing so would be a huge mistake.

Now off contract, Halangahu hopes to settle his future soon, having received half a dozen offers from clubs in the United Kingdom, France, Japan and even Australia.

Hickey is not worried that negotiations involving Halangahu and other NSW players will distract the Waratahs from their preparations this week. The Waratahs have courted players from other sides as well including Force centre James O'Connor and winger-fullback Drew Mitchell.

"It is unfortunate the middle of the Super 14 is when the contracting season is on," Hickey said. "I am sure players on every team have been approached. That is the way business operates. I don't see it as a distraction or anything."

But the enormity of NSW's challenge in South Africa is not lost on any of the squad. "We have made life hard for ourselves," Hickey said after Saturday night's loss, when he was left believing the Waratahs needed to win all three of their games in South Africa.

But yesterday he was more optimistic. "If we can win two games with a bonus point in each, given the log jam in the comp, we are still in with a chance of the four," he said. "If we win all three, I reckon we are still in with the possibility of hosting a home semi."

R

rugbywhisperer

If you guys are going down that path then the best plan is to somehow resurrect Brockhoff - geez I just cramped up at the thought of it.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
fatprop said:
Hickey set to act as backs flop

Rupert Guinness | April 20, 2009

CHRIS HICKEY is ready to revamp the Waratahs back line in a desperate bid to kick-start a finals charge.

While the NSW coach was pleased with his side's defence - second only to that of the Crusaders in points conceded - he is frustrated by his back line's lack of firepower. The Waratahs' season points tally of 169 from 10 rounds is ranked 11th.

The Waratahs fell to sixth place on 28 points after Saturday night's defeat to the Western Force at the Sydney Football Stadium.

When asked if he might reconfigure his back line now opponents seem able to read their game, Hickey said: "That's an area we have got to have a really close look at. Our defence is right up there. But in attack, we haven't really been able to fire."

Hickey is set to name a 26-man squad on Wednesday for the Waratahs' tour to South Africa for games against the Cheetahs, Sharks and Lions. The squad that leaves on Saturday during their bye round will include the 22 who were picked for the Force game, two players recently back from injury in tight-head prop Al Baxter and centre Rob Horne plus an extra forward and back.

The latter two should be openside breakaway Beau Robinson, who impressed for Warringah in the Shute Shield on Saturday, and utility back Matt Carraro or winger Ratu Nasiganiyavi, who played for Randwick after being sidelined for three months with a fractured foot.

As for back-line tweaks? Tom Carter has been strong at No.12 this season but his eagerness to carry the ball up has become predictable. Assuming Horne will return to outside-centre, one option could be to shift Timana Tahu from No.13 to 12.

Another is to bring Sam Norton-Knight in from fullback to five-eighth and move Daniel Halangahu from No.10 to inside-centre. While relatively slight in build, Halangahu has the mettle to be a physical distributor at No.12. His calming influence has been shown in his games at No.10 recently, performances that may have even brought him into contention for a Wallabies squad place at five-eighth.

Force playmaker Matt Giteau is a clear leader there, followed by Reds pivot Quade Cooper. But, along with the Brumbies' Christian Lealiifano, Halangahu - whose experience is another valued quality - has done wonders to raise his profile this season.

The Waratahs, expected to announce several contractual developments this week, still risk losing Halangahu altogether. Doing so would be a huge mistake.

Now off contract, Halangahu hopes to settle his future soon, having received half a dozen offers from clubs in the United Kingdom, France, Japan and even Australia.

Hickey is not worried that negotiations involving Halangahu and other NSW players will distract the Waratahs from their preparations this week. The Waratahs have courted players from other sides as well including Force centre James O'Connor and winger-fullback Drew Mitchell.

"It is unfortunate the middle of the Super 14 is when the contracting season is on," Hickey said. "I am sure players on every team have been approached. That is the way business operates. I don't see it as a distraction or anything."

But the enormity of NSW's challenge in South Africa is not lost on any of the squad. "We have made life hard for ourselves," Hickey said after Saturday night's loss, when he was left believing the Waratahs needed to win all three of their games in South Africa.

But yesterday he was more optimistic. "If we can win two games with a bonus point in each, given the log jam in the comp, we are still in with a chance of the four," he said. "If we win all three, I reckon we are still in with the possibility of hosting a home semi."

Really? Would Deans include him in the Wallabies training squad?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely there is no chance in hell of hangers being 10 for the wallabies? Christ he has only had one good half of football this year and have been ordinary at all other times.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Rupert Guinness must be joking.

Right ............... Burgess Starts, Beale back at 10, Horne at 12, Cararro at 13 (with instructions to straighten and set up the wingers). Lote and Playford on the wings and Turner at 15.

I want to see less rugby that stops with a pass to 12 and Beale looping and getting the ball moving.

Pick Beau Robinson on the bench and tell Waugh he is getting 50 minutes and to get moving.

Tell Hangers to stay in Sydney and work on his negotiations, Hangers as a test option ................................ get faarked.

Get the forwards working at pace, no more AGMs at the back of rucks. Get the backs creating options and getting into position for the next phase and working harder on kicks.

Get back and give the 15 options!

Status
Not open for further replies.