• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who else does not 'follow a team'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Kinda curious about this.

Most, I would imagine, follow a team in the Super Rugby competition. After all, most seem to have elected to to put a tahs symbol, or a reds symbol, or something in their sig.

I don't have a favorite team at all, I just watch games.

I probably tend to favour the tahs over another australian team, I'd tend to favour an australian team over a team from another country, I'd follow any team over a SA team haha (no, just joking).

About the only team I would actually root for is the wallabies, I mean who wouldn't? (follow their national team I meant haha)

But on all other levels I really (apart from those slight tendencies mentioned earlier) don't care who wins or loses all I want is a good game of rugby.

On the one hand I can imagine I miss out on the highs and the lows (imagine being a died in the wool reds fan and following them thru the lean years-the thumping in SA as but one example-and then the delirium of watching them lift the trophy) yet on the other every game has the same appeal and interest.

Whilst that is an interesting thing to ponder in and of itself, I am more curious about how alone I am in this?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I would say I have two levels of support-
1- Reds and Wallabies (if they played each other I would have a hard decision!)
2- All other Australian franchises are behind the Reds, I try to watch every Aussie team every week and really dont care who wins, but at a stretch I would pick the brumbies as my best of the rest purely based on the stlye of play they use compared to others

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't support any side in particular. :p:rolleyes:

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
would be good to get an idea of the percentage 'who do not follow a particular team' vs the percentage who do. So of course if you DO follow a particular team chime in.

maybe should have been a poll.

can that be done?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I want the Tahs to win - but I am conflicted because I feel that they do not live up to their potential and the NSWRU do not support the game that supports it.
I find that most of the time I dont know who I support ('cept Tahs and Wobblies - who I support despite the ARU) until I sit down and start watching a game.
Last night, for instance, found myself going for the rebels for the first time evenr - that could have something to do with the identity of the coach of the Force.
So I am nearly always surprised to see who i want to win.
tonight - for instance - have loved the Reds and have liked the Brums over the years but have no idea who i want to win: all will be revealed at 7:30pm!

M

Muttonbird

Kinda curious about this.

Most, I would imagine, follow a team in the Super Rugby competition. After all, most seem to have elected to to put a tahs symbol, or a reds symbol, or something in their sig.

I don't have a favorite team at all, I just watch games.

Whilst that is an interesting thing to ponder in and of itself, I am more curious about how alone I am in this?

You are not alone my friend. I don't support a S15 team. Just the ABs. I would always yell for a NZ S15 against foreigners, but when it's a local derby my favourite is the underdog at that particular time in the season.

In fact the conference system creates a difficult situation in NZ because of the NZRU's central contracting all the teams are of similar strength and form fluctuations through the season mean all very good teams eliminate each other.

The other two countries have a couple or three teams clearly stronger than the rest but some easy-beats as well. The talent is not as evenly distributed as it should be.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Having a team to support & follow gives me the passion for the game, I really don't see the point in being a neutral observer. Then, I guess I've lived in Queensland for the bulk of my life & they've always had a team I could identify with & their identity hasn't changed all that much since I was a kid in the 70's.
I'll watch other games if they're on & I'm about but I feel shitty if I miss a Reds (or Wallabies) game.
The highs of the last few years after a long stretch of lows through the 2000's was definitely a very sweet feeling!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I support a different team most years. I'm on my second year of Rebels which is unusual. I supported the Reds a few times but after they won the Super Rugby a couple of years back it became like a cult.

Go Wallabies!

T

TOCC

I support a different team most years. I'm on my second year of Rebels which is unusual. I supported the Reds a few times but after they won the Super Rugby a couple of years back it became like a cult.

Go Wallabies!

what are ya talking about, they've been getting 52'000 fans to games for years ;)
162895-suncorp-stadium.jpg

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
what are ya talking about, they've been getting 52'000 fans to games for years ;)
162895-suncorp-stadium.jpg

That's what I like about Reds supporters: they support their team as much in adversity as in victory. What I meant is they become a bit more fervent.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
That's what I like about Reds supporters: they support their team as much in adversity as in victory. What I meant is they become a bit more fervent.

They weren't getting those crowd figures a few years ago.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
I've followed QLD/the Reds since I was a boy but I have also admired the Brumbies over the years, especially during their Super Rugby winning era and even more so since young Tiger Ben Mowen moved there in 2012.

In a perverse sort of way I wish the Tahs would have a good year too, because that can only benefit Australian Rugby.

Having said all that, I am really hurting tonight after the Brumbies showed up the Reds big time.

Aussie Rugby - it's a great way of life.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I follow My local team "senghenydd" and Wales of course, I will also be looking forward to the lions this year where I will aplaude the English Irish and Scots and hope there are not toomany welsh men in the squad.
Yes I know Senghenydd is difficult to say:)

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I follow My local team "senghenydd" and Wales of course, I will also be looking forward to the lions this year where I will aplaude the English Irish and Scots and hope there are not toomany welsh men in the squad.
Yes I know Senghenydd is difficult to say:)

Sorry for the double post I was having difficulty posting, Ces't la vie

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I grew up supporting the Brumbies and really just want to see them get back to the days of playing every damn game like it was a final, with that drive to win and the ability to do so.

From a game, however, I want to see something I can say "Wow!" to. Even if it's just one thing, if I have that moment then it was worth the 80.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Having said all that, I am really hurting tonight after the Brumbies showed up the Reds big time.

ARRGGH, a mate came over to listen to music, so I missed the game. I was hoping to catch a replay (have yet to check the schedule) but I intended to avoid any discussion of tonight's result.

At least you did not give a score, but big time kind of gives things away.

Oh well, such is life.

What has interested me to date is penguins answer. I DO get that when you follow a team along for the ride goes the passion, the anguish and the triumphs. Even tho when it comes to Super Rugby I 'have no idea' what that means, I can get it when I look back at driving around NZ in a campervan for the RWC and have the wobs wobble big time.

Still, if I am honest I am not sure I lose all that much by having an equal interest in all games in the Super Rugby. Perhaps not following a team allows a better appreciation for the game itself? None of this blaming the blind ref, anything else of the sort (unless he really was blind, but then again it would be the impartial person who would be the best judge of that)

Who knows what the eventual balance ends up. You lose 'emotion' on your own team playing, but maybe gain on having more games at a slightly higher level of emotion?

swings and roundabouts.

Meh, maybe not much legs for a thread after all.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Actually I know where you're coming from there Terry. I also went to a few games at the last World Cup and I actually enjoyed myself more at the games not involving the Wallabies by not having an emotional attachment to the game. It was more having a passion for the game & soaking up the atmosphere without having the passion for a particular team.
Having thought about it a bit more, they both work for differing reasons.
I also think my passion for the Reds has diminished a tad since the championship. I hope like hell that they can repeat it but I no longer feel as downcast if they don't. I'm finding my passion to attend games has dropped. I think that has more to do with the artificial atmosphere they try to create at pro games these days. I don't need the music or a bloke telling, nay screaming at me through a microphone about when I should be cheering the team on, it's a turnoff.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not one for nationalism.........

My team is the Brumbies.........

And while the Wallabies are my #1 international team....... these days, particularly in World Cup years, I find myself getting more into other teams such as the minnows, or Argentina in 2007.........

Status
Not open for further replies.