• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

who is confirmed to leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
ive heard bout gits
and cannot understand why burgess/ hodgeson or anyone else would be considering it on the cusp of a golden era?
thinking about a decade ago when the gold won: tri nations, bledisloes, world cup> to be a part of a team that could achieve these things i couldnt put a price on it to take away the chance? they can achieve greatness? legend status? whats a few million bucks?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hodgson is about to turn 30 and is not a starting Wallaby...

Playing careers are short and guys need to make money before they retire...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Hodgson is about to turn 30 and is not a starting Wallaby...

Playing careers are short and guys need to make money before they retire...

Playing shouldn't be viewed any different to any other career. The days of people having a job for life are gone. People have to re-invent themselves every 5 to 10 years nowdays. Welcome to professionalism.

What I am saying is that using this as an excuse to inflate player salaries is bullshit. If it isn't next time I work for somebody else I am going to be asking for huge dollars saying my career with you will only be 5 to 10 years.

As for the argument about injuries, well I can show you many more people crippled, permanently injured or debilitated in so many "everyday" professions that this argument also falls flat.

The only thing I will say to any pro sportsman, is enjoy it while it lasts and make the most of it, but most of all recognise that for most it will be a fleeting career (as with most others now) and be prepared and train yourself so you can move on when the time comes.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He might have a career after rugby but that doesn't mean that the $$$ will match what's on offer with a playing contract in France... plus the experience of playing/living in another country etc

Particularly for a player who is not exactly guaranteed a place in the Wallaby 22...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure why Burgess is going overseas. He's still a clear #2 imo.

Not for much longer IMO. Phipps will over take him this year I think and Kingi will develop. The only thing that Burgess has going for him is his defence (he remains the best defensive half back in Oz) and his running game from the breakdown. In all other aspects his game is good one week and diabolical the next. Some of his decision making and execution is woeful (like his kicking), which is one point you would expect to be spot on from such a senior player.

If an alternative with more consistancy comes along offering near the defence that Burgess does he will be number 2. In fact I would go so far to say that if Phipps continues his form of the last few games he could be the bolter for the 3N and if he does well there Burgess could struggle to make the RWC.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Playing shouldn't be viewed any different to any other career. The days of people having a job for life are gone. People have to re-invent themselves every 5 to 10 years nowdays. Welcome to professionalism.

What I am saying is that using this as an excuse to inflate player salaries is bullshit. If it isn't next time I work for somebody else I am going to be asking for huge dollars saying my career with you will only be 5 to 10 years.

As for the argument about injuries, well I can show you many more people crippled, permanently injured or debilitated in so many "everyday" professions that this argument also falls flat.

The only thing I will say to any pro sportsman, is enjoy it while it lasts and make the most of it, but most of all recognise that for most it will be a fleeting career (as with most others now) and be prepared and train yourself so you can move on when the time comes.

What a terribly naive post. You make it sound like it's a doddle to reinvent yourself. Not.

These guys have this 5-10 years to take advantage of an opportunity that is staring them right in the face. Right now.

But heck, they should go for glory. After all, they can always reinvent themselves. Quickly drop an MBA in the bag or come up with a brilliant idea for business success. Piece of piss. Anyone can do it. Even a rugby player with no qualifications.

Nah, if the money is there, and you are NOT guaranteed of good money in your home country (i.e. ie top tier contracted player), I say take the money as quick as you can buy a ticket north. You'd be an absolute fool not to.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What a terribly naive post. You make it sound like it's a doddle to reinvent yourself. Not.

These guys have this 5-10 years to take advantage of an opportunity that is staring them right in the face. Right now.

But heck, they should go for glory. After all, they can always reinvent themselves. Quickly drop an MBA in the bag or come up with a brilliant idea for business success. Piece of piss. Anyone can do it. Even a rugby player with no qualifications.

Nah, if the money is there, and you are NOT guaranteed of good money in your home country (i.e. ie top tier contracted player), I say take the money as quick as you can buy a ticket north. You'd be an absolute fool not to.

What a Toss, it isn't that hard, what is difficult is deciding what you want to do. I am on my third career now and expect I will have a go at another couple of things before they nail my box shut. Read what I actually posted, they should make the most of the opportunity, but always have in the back of their mind that this is a finite opportunity and have a plan in place to do something post rugby. Who knows they may well have that career ending injury tomorrow. This is what has always set Rugby apart in Oz from the other Pro sports, that post game planning and pathway.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm with Gnostic on this. A rugby career is short and the players should try and make as much as they can while they are playing. However, many players study during their time in the game and really ought to have a plan for afterwards. Your career is one serious injury from being over in a heart beat, never mind the fact that most guys won't get to their mid thirties and be anywhere near their best. You have to be seriously good (i.e. world class) to have a prolonged top flight career in any football code.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not for much longer IMO. Phipps will over take him this year I think and Kingi will develop. The only thing that Burgess has going for him is his defence (he remains the best defensive half back in Oz) and his running game from the breakdown. In all other aspects his game is good one week and diabolical the next. Some of his decision making and execution is woeful (like his kicking), which is one point you would expect to be spot on from such a senior player.

If an alternative with more consistancy comes along offering near the defence that Burgess does he will be number 2. In fact I would go so far to say that if Phipps continues his form of the last few games he could be the bolter for the 3N and if he does well there Burgess could struggle to make the RWC.

Phipps is playing well but he's no where near Burgess. Deans isn't going to risk someone who is in their first year of Super Rugby in the WC when you've got Burgess who is playing decent rugby and has been around the Wallabies for the past 3 years.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Phipps is playing well but he's no where near Burgess. Deans isn't going to risk someone who is in their first year of Super Rugby in the WC when you've got Burgess who is playing decent rugby and has been around the Wallabies for the past 3 years.

And is still very inconsistent. I have been a long term supporter of Burgess as No2 Halfback, but he hasn't improved the poor aspects of his game as much as he should have given his exposure to the very highest levels of the game. The fact that a valid argument can be raised for Phipps in his first season on real form against a "veteran" in his prime says that Phipps is a real talent or Burgess just hasn't developed.

Personally I couldn't give a toss what Deans rates as I have little faith in his selection policies after last year, and though you are in most likely totally correct that Deans will not select anybody different at half back. Even if Burgess were knocking on every second ball I suspect that this would still be the case. What I see is a recalcitrance in selecting on real form, much the same as has happened with Giteau in the last few years and before that in the Eddie Jones era with Gregan when Whitaker was in far better form.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
IMHO Burgess still has a poor pass and that's a core skill for a half back. The other areas of his game are sound, but his pass is not international standard. Some of his decision making could stand improvement too.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't think it's fair to criticize his pass anymore. Last few games his pass has been fine. It's his decision making and those stupid kicks that are bad.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Burgess cant be in the Wallabies..... seen better passing in under 12's.....
He has pleasured someone just to get this far.

hope he goes and plays in America, fit in there

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh FFS, sometimes you just have to ignore the haters. There was nothing wrong with his passing.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
When I see a replay I will watch carefully but there was a period where the Tahs were going 10 to 15 metres backwards due to wayward passes, several from the ruck. Burgess looked to be one of the culprits.

It's a pretty moot point as Burgess was a deserved MotM, but Burgess is good for his running, linking and defensive work. If the Tahs wanted a sweet passing half back they would be playing McKibbin.

T

TOCC

i like Burgess, i think i like him more then most NSW forumers...

But at the end of the day, we need to face reality, he is a ball running halfback(best in Australia IMO), naturally its his strength, his strong in contact, has good vision and is quick. His passing game would definitely have to be the weak portion of his game, and depending on the opposition, you have to wonder whether his strength outweighs his weakness at times.

Against teams more flimsy around the rucks he looks like a god, but in the tighter games when a more tactically restrained game plan is necessary, i just think his passing is to much of a negative. Whilst he will be good to have on the bench in the later portion of most RWC games, i wouldn't want him starting in the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.