• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Why no Rocky at the Tahs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ok

This could be a thread to flame the Tahs, but I was talking to a mate about this we were just wondering why the Tahs were never being considered by Rocky for a return visit.

Is it the draw of the Giteau?

I can understand why, the Brumbies are creating an awesome side.

Or is it the toxic club politics f*cks of NSW club land that undermined link et al.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
interesting topic.
hard to pick why.
its very interesting that he went to brumbies. brumbies weren't looking for him. says as lot about the situation.
maybe he thought we went to finals twice with them and couldn't do it. maybe the brumbies might. dunno

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think it says a bit about him wanting to win a championship, and sees his best chance with the Brumbies and Giteau. The complete lack of Tahs' attack during the season tends to bugger up your chances at recruiting forwards - nothing worse than winning all that possession and dominating the set piece just to see the bloody backs stuff it up.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
NTA said:
I think it says a bit about him wanting to win a championship, and sees his best chance with the Brumbies and Giteau. The complete lack of Tahs' attack during the season tends to bugger up your chances at recruiting forwards - nothing worse than winning all that possession and dominating the set piece just to see the bloody backs stuff it up.

Yeah I think it's a case of saying he wants to be part of an exciting young side that's on the way up and be a part of that.

Maybe he doesn't have faith in Hickey?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think you can undervalue playing in a side with a great 10.

No Aus or NZ side wins the S14 without one. (the boks survive with brilliant 9s instead)

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Rocky said that he "ran out of time" to talk to the Tahs, and in the end, he shouldn't have spent so much time talking to QLD. Maybe the Tahs had filled all their backrow slots?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I find it interesting that Rocky does his own management. I wish more players were savvy enough to copy.

Given that the money available at the Tahs, Dreds and Brumbies was apparently about the same, I suspect that Rocky looked at the Brumbies and saw an outstanding squad which is on the way up and liked the idea of playing in a team which might win something.

I recall George Smith, on re-signing with the ARU and Brumbies, said that the coaching available to him was a big factor in his decision. He then said something like "and I mean that at the Brumbies as well as the Wallabies". A little cryptic or straight-out high praise for Andy Friend and his friends? Rocky may have got the same impression - I believe the players from different states do chat occasionally.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Biffo - that may not be too far off the mark.

One reason I can think of as to why Rocky didn't come back to the Tahs is the bitchy history of the place. Everybody seems to have their knives out for each other at board level and until they get more directors independent of the clubs, I can't see it changing.

The management was always under pressure and that filtered down to the coaching staff - just ask McKenzie - and it couldn't have been a great environment for the players. Rocky had seen all of this going on and I bet it's why he didn't spend too much time talking to the Tahs.

Instead he went to the Brumbies, an organisation that has a pretty good history of the back office getting on with the front office - with the exception of the Nucifora kerfuffle.

In NZ they have the estimable Canterbury/Crusaders back offices which all players speak highly of. At the other extreme they have the Auckland/Blues outfits who are always bickering.

It is all very well to get on with the rest of the team and the coaching staff, but players would find it a lot easier to do their jobs in an environment around the team that is more positive, and happier.

True, a good organisation will not help a player to make a tackle or catch a ball, but too little attention is paid to intangible matters.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
LG, did you note down George Smith's remark to see if would have any significance later?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It was probably praise for both Friend and Deans, and perhaps unintentionally, a backhander to Fisher.

As an addition to my previous post about the problems at the Tahs - they need that mooted separation of the boards of the NSWRU and the Tahs S14 team to go ahead. The NSWRU must involve clubs and club people and politics will prevail to the cows come home, but there is no reason for the Tahs footie team to be burdened by strutting clubmen as they have their turn in the sun.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
"Ran out of time" = "They were dicking around"

In keeping with the last coach selection melodrama.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
also keep in mind rocky as been in the UK. the place where friend made his name.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
louie said:
also keep in mind rocky as been in the UK. the place where friend made his name.

Dublin is in the UK? :angryfire:

Friend made his name with NSW, Australia age teams and Suntory. He was very well known and respected some time before he went to England.

S

Spook

I honestly think Elsom had a huge falling out with someone in the NSWRU. He said he coudln't go back. I'll try and find the quote. Until then, this is waht Grumble Growden writes:

¡ If any of the Waratahs are upset that Rocky Elsom is heading to Canberra, they have only themselves to blame. Let's just say that Elsom is far from alone in having his concerns about the direction at Waratahland. Again we hear whispers of administrative changes at Moore Park. Also, Queensland hardly excelled themselves when chasing Elsom. Again the Brumbies won because they are the most professional of the Australian provinces.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Unfortunately, Growden is probably right on the money there. Cluster fucks, the lot of 'em.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ash said:
Unfortunately, Growden is probably right on the money there. Cluster fucks, the lot of 'em.

mmmm amateur sporting administrators, c*nts the lot of them, give them a blazer and they can't get their heads through doorways.

Status
Not open for further replies.