• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Will Beale make the Wallabies 22 this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Lee Grant said:
I'm not so worried about his development when his team is on attack. He turned 20 just last week and I am confident that he will grow in his ability to boss the back line. I thought he grew a bit already in 2008 from 2007.
-
-
-
-
Since last season we have heard about his putting on weight whilst injured and that shows a poor attitude that I have talked about before. He looked pretty agile the other day at training but the proof of the pudding :lmao: will be seen in a game.

I think a great leader needs to set an example to his backline, he may have all the skills in the world but if the other backs are getting ordered around by a guy who cant even stay fit for his teams sake then I dont think he is suited to any backline leadership positions.

He has huge potential, but I think for him to earn respect that will bring the best out of his team mates and build a champion team rather than a team of champions he needs to show respect for his fitness for a couple of full years.

Why would other players respect a guy who is making headlines for being lazy?

S

Spook

Something here to warm the hearts of Wallaby supporters:

0,,6444359,00.jpg

Kurtley Beale drops all excess baggage By James Hooper

January 18, 2009 12:00am

THE prodigious step, sleight of hand and blistering acceleration are back for NSW Waratahs playmaker Kurtley Beale.

Frustrated at missing a place on the Wallabies' tour to Europe because of injury, Beale looked like going off the rails in October.

Junk food and lack of training led to the five-eighth once hailed the saviour of Australian rugby developing a paunch.

But Beale has been trimming down over the past eight weeks, shedding 9kg through a strict training program.

The move meant making major sacrifices over Christmas. While the rest of us were gorging on ham and turkey, washed down with a nice cold beverage, Beale ate salad and fruit.

Five small meals a day, no fast food or soft drink and no booze have enabled Beale to shrink from 101kg to 92kg.

"I've been watching my diet very closely so I didn't blow out over Christmas like I normally would,'' Beale said.

"I had to. This is a year where I've got to step up, get involved a little bit more and take a bit of a leadership role. I have to be more disciplined and professional.

"I've played one full season of Super 14 now, so it would have been slack of me to just switch off.''
With back-up NSW five-eighth Daniel Halangahu mounting a challenge, Beale has responded with extra sessions in the gym, extra kicking practice and new-found discipline.

NSW team-mate Lote Tuqiri praised Beale for the dedication he has shown towards taking control of the situation.

"KB (Kurtley Beale) is looking really good and you can tell from the way he's been training that he's in a positive frame of mind,'' Tuqiri said. "That's the key. He's determined to have a big year and from all the signals, he's on target.''

During the off-season last October, Beale found himself being tempted to return home to Mt Druitt and live like a normal 20-year-old. :-\

But the move meant he struggled with pre-season training in November, returning to the Waratahs way above his playing weight.

Having trimmed down, Beale appeared back to his sharpest during a Waratahs training session at Randwick Army Barracks last Thursday.

"It's a lot better at training now. It's so much easier to get around the park,'' Beale said.

"I've got my agility back now, so it's easier to organise things. I'm much more mobile than I was at 101kg.''

Beale, who celebrated his 20th birthday this month, will only allow himself the occasional beer as he makes 2009 his year to step up for the Waratahs.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
You beat me to it Spook by about 30 seconds!

Good on him. Doing your ankle and your thumb while your mates are touring Europe isn't a good motivator, but it looks like he turned a corner.

TOCC said:
In terms of a pecking order, i would say for the 5/8 position it is currently

1. Giteau
2. Barnes
3. Cooper
4. Beale

Cooper and Beale are practically on par, Cooper gets one up because he has went on the NH tour.

The thing is though TOCC, I reckon

a) you're right, Gits is the better runner, which is why he should be at 12, which I think this season proved. He could well not be a contender for a Wallabies 10 jersey next year
b) Barnes is v. v. solid but not spectacular. And injury prone.
c) Cooper's only 'on par' with Beale now because he actually got on the tour.

By next Wallaby season, KB (Kurtley Beale) could well be the backup 10 and with an injury, in the chair. I'm not sure theoretical rankings make any sense.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gagger said:
You beat me to it Spook by about 30 seconds!

Good on him. Doing your ankle and your thumb while your mates are touring Europe isn't a good motivator, but it looks like he turned a corner.

TOCC said:
In terms of a pecking order, i would say for the 5/8 position it is currently

1. Giteau
2. Barnes
3. Cooper
4. Beale

Cooper and Beale are practically on par, Cooper gets one up because he has went on the NH tour.

The thing is though TOCC, I reckon

a) you're right, Gits is the better runner, which is why he should be at 12, which I think this season proved. He could well not be a contender for a Wallabies 10 jersey next year
b) Barnes is v. v. solid but not spectacular. And injury prone.
c) Cooper's only 'on par' with Beale now because he actually got on the tour.

By next Wallaby season, KB (Kurtley Beale) could well be the backup 10 and with an injury, in the chair. I'm not sure theoretical rankings make any sense.

I think that you're kidding yourself if you think that Beale is on par with Cooper in the selection list after that Baabaas game.

TOCC's list is how they will start the S14 this year, but how they finish it will be anyone's guess.

I personally don't think that Beale will be in the game day 22 unless they rotate to give him some experience (in a Baabaas or Italy like game), especially if he doesn't show improvement from last year. But I would be happy to see him tear it up and make himself unselectable - just like I'd be happy to see Gits, Barnes, Cooper and To'omua doing the same. Or Lealifiano if he stays at 10.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree - we are getting too polarised over one player, often along state lines, when it is the larger cupboard of flyhalf candidates that is the significant thing for the true Wallaby fan.

R

rugbywhisperer

I am actually very relieved (stoked in modern terms) that we are actually discussing the prospect of having 4 or more potentially competitive no10's.
what a luxury.

S

Spook

I've said it before. Lealiifano will make a good 12. He has a very good pass, quick, good step and has probably more power/size than any of the other guys mentioned here - he got over the gain line nearly every time he touched the ball. He has a poor long kicking game but has a good short kicking game. His game management last year was pretty ordinary but his forwards didn't help but neither did the injuries of the senior backs around him. He also doesn't stand flat enough but that will come. Only one S14 season under his belt and the injury to Huxley meant he probably had more game time than he was meant to. His defense was good by the end of the season and he didn't mind putting his body on the line.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ooooh, my bold prediction is no, Beale will not make the Wallabies this year.

And to answer the second question, yes, at least by the looks.

Lealiifano? His star has fallen a lot this year. Gits at 10 may open up a spot for Lealiifano at 12 - but probably not, with T. Smith around.

M

Mainlander

Ash said:

Lealiifano? His star has fallen a lot this year. Gits at 10 may open up a spot for Lealiifano at 12 - but probably not, with T. Smith around.

Lealiifano isn't worried about his form.....

I asked a friend who is in tight at the Bumboy's if Lealiifano was concerned about Giteau returning next year and his answer was No.... Lealiifano never worries about anything. This wasn't said in a pleased voice.

Also asked about young Matt Toomoa and the word is they're very pleased with how he's going and don't be surprised to see him get a start in the near future.

M

Mainlander

Mainlander said:
Ash said:

I asked a friend who is in tight at the Bumboy's if Lealiifano was concerned about Giteau returning next year and his answer was No.... Lealiifano never worries about anything. This wasn't said in a pleased voice.

Also asked about young Matt Toomoa and the word is they're very pleased with how he's going and don't be surprised to see him get a start in the near future.

Told you my source was good.

Must admit though I expected it to be against the Lions, Reds or some other team from the bottom of the table. Am a little surprised they're throwing him out against Nonu etc.....

Family will have split loyalties, most of them suport the Cannes... eg... wife and two sons but Matt is the lads mate and even me and the wife have a soft spot for him so hope he does well.

T

TOCC

Mainlander said:
Mainlander said:
Ash said:

Told you my source was good.

Must admit though I expected it to be against the Lions, Reds or some other team from the bottom of the table. Am a little surprised they're throwing him out against Nonu etc.....

Family will have split loyalties, most of them suport the Cannes... eg... wife and two sons but Matt is the lads mate and even me and the wife have a soft spot for him so hope he does well.
well it was mostly a case of having no one else to pick in the position

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
Gagger said:
Spook said:
Lealiifano is a cracking runner of the ball...he is a 12.

My thoughts exactly. How many tasty 12's do you buggers need?

The Brums have quite a few really don't they

Lealiifano will be a strong foil for Gits as when Gits runs he knows there is someone there to step in and direct the next phase.

It is what is missing at the Tahs and Beale has paid the price. Kafer highlighted that the Tahs had not passed it to a winger from set piece this season...

And doesn't Campese make real sense as a backs coach.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Campo has a bloody good track record with the Sharks the past few years. What a waste no local team's picked him up.

P

PhucNgo

He will never play for the Wallabies. In the form he's been in and given the style of player he is, Deans will not go near him. In fact, he'd be extremely lucky to get a run with the Eels.

Status
Not open for further replies.