• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Will Super Rugby continue to expand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsfanatic

Peter Burge (5)
Will Super Rugby continue to expand?

Will they maybe expand one team for each country next time to keep the conferences? Or when they add Argentina to the trinations will they add an Argentinian team and scrap the conferences? Is Argentina too far away to play Super Rugby?

What do you think?

T

TOCC

The kings have far deeper grassroots then the Force or Rebels, no reason they cant succeed

T

TOCC

well at least Super Rugby won't lose anything if the Kings come in other than Lions supporters

Hmmm except for a team in South Africa's largest city in the wealthiest province within South Africa.
Lions are and will continue to remain critical to the broadcast rights within SANZAR.

T

TheNextBigThing

Lions have a huge (if consistently dissapointed) fanbase. Can't see them losing a spot in Super rugby.

After watching (and thoroughly enjoying) the Pacific Nations Cup over the last couple of weeks, I'd suggest a Pacific Conference with Japan Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and a Sixth New Zealand team (possibly maori) It'd take a lot of effort and money to make them competitive/financially viable but it could be great for world Rugby.

T

TOCC

A PI team would be fantastic, unfortunately there is too much economic and political instability in the region and it's unlikely to ever take off.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Both NZRU and ARU have said in the past they want expansion to either Japan, Argentina or North America.
A Tokyo team? Hong Kong? Honolulu (1m+ people strong islander roots) not too far from Sydney/Auckland. no professional sports teams. could play islanders, and north americans on this team as part of a quota...

T

TheNextBigThing

I was thinking Hawaii as well.

Japan, US and PIs all fit in with the Super rugby style as well. They each endeavor to play expansive 15 man rugby and are exciting to watch when up against equal opposition. They're a better fit in terms of style than the Argies who are a lot more conservative.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
nothing other than expansion within the current countries and/or teams in argentina are viable, stop the pipe dream of Hong Kong, Japan, the PI's, Hawaii or america. None of them are sustainable, upto it, or stable enough, not even smart options in terms of revenue.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Large city with access to the U.S and Canadian west coast markets.
Obviously close access to Tonga, Fiji and Samoa. Obviously cultural similarities.

I think argentina is too far for super rugby. it would then fully traverse the globe.

Honolulu already has a 50 000 person rectangular stadium

Hong Kong too.

I reckon let the saffers pull out at next broadcast rights negotiations as they threatened to before, let them join the magners league. Then Australia, New Zealand, Japan, U.S and Canada in revamped competition. Teams in Vancouver, San Fran, L.A, Honolulu and Tokyo. shorter distances to travel and larger markets.
no offense SA! better for all!

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
perhaps a pipe dream. but more likely just a long time away.
As Timmy Horan noted the other day, rugby is growing faster in the U.S and Canada than anywhere else in the world. U.S. In the U.S they will have 100,000 registered players by the end of this year and recent trends show it is growing at a about 10% p.a.

Worth having a focus on there. playing pre-season games there next year. i.e rebels going to Canada, States and Japan to play the national teams on tours.

I wouldn't write it off. Sevens is growing the game massively. there are a ridiculous amounts of 7s tournaments in Canada and the U.S all of the sudden and it is growing club numbers at the 15's level as you'd expect.

It's not 5 years away, but medium - long term it's a real option and one that should be considered. the three countries (canada, japan and U.S) have a total of over 250 000 registered rugby players and growing. Japan hosting the world cup isn't exactly going to hurt those numbers (they have over 125 000 registered)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Super Rugby will continue to expand, I don't think there's any real doubt about that. The Kings will join the current 5 in SA not in place of one, that will mean the need to even up the the conferences in both Aus and NZ. I would like to see a PI Exiles team in Western Sydney and I like the Honolulu idea.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
it is very much a pipe dream! ages away if ever. but i'd love it....am biased though.

I have been saying this for a while on other forums but I think Super Rugby is only really beginning to start its evolution into a truly international sporting competition of note. In time I expect to see no less than potentially three new conferences included on top of further expansion of the current 3. I fully expect to see a South American conference alongside a North American and in time an Asian conference. If that day ever comes Rugby will be the dominion of the Super Rugby not Europe (not saying it will cannabalise the current competitions as I think we will continue to see them grow) but globally the most recognisable brand will be Super Rugby.

T

TOCC

Obviously close access to Tonga, Fiji and Samoa. Obviously cultural similarities.

I think argentina is too far for super rugby. it would then fully traverse the globe.

Hong Kong too.

I reckon let the saffers pull out at next broadcast rights negotiations as they threatened to before, let them join the magners league. Then Australia, New Zealand, Japan, U.S and Canada in revamped competition. Teams in Vancouver, San Fran, L.A, Honolulu and Tokyo. shorter distances to travel and larger markets.

RSA generate proportionately the largest share of the broadcast revenue, they won't be getting culled, nor will US/Canada/Japan make up the difference in lost revenue..

The best thing for those countries(US/Can) is to proceed with developing there own tournaments.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Hong Kong too.

SA will not pull out. They will threaten, but not actually do it. The Magners don't want them and have said as much.

You're stuck with us. Too bad. Or are we struck with you? Whatever.

As for the Kings, maybe someone can confirm but I though the Kingz will automatically replace the lowest ranking SA team in 2013?

As for how good the Kingz will be? Who knows. It depends who coaches, players they contract etc. Regardless they will struggle.

It's falling to pieces for the Lions. Their high flying investors appear to have cold feet now.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PS. I hope it does not get any bigger.

It's enough rugby as it is and neither SA not Australia have the depth for another team.

PI idea is a pipe dream. Sad but true.

Japan, US, CA and Argentina are too far.

Focus the efforts on improving the quality of the product. SANZAR should do more to make sure teams are more competitive. I don't know how, but lifting the standard of the bottom six or so teams is critical. It will make the whole thing better for all. Players, broadcasters, fans. Maybe its a draft system? More lenient rules re contracting if a team finishes in the last 3? Dunno but I think quality is that's what's way more important than expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.