• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Willie Mason could sign for Toulon

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
At 31 he's a bit old to adapt. Hope it doesn't happen. It would of been interesting if he went a couple of years earlier. He could make a mean ball running 8.

I really couldn't see him playing 13.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I seem to recall Willie Mason bad mouthing rugby not long ago?

Unlike SBW, I don't think Mason has the speed to play anywhere in the backline...

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What a waste of time and space. Willie could have been anything 10 years ago. It's just a pitty what he became.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...nion-club-toulon/story-e6frf3ou-1226041911471

The cashed-up Top 14 outfit has outlayed 450,000 Euros to ensure Mason follows in the footsteps of his former Canterbury-Bankstown teammate Sonny Bill Williams.

It's likely he, like Williams, will play inside centre, switching from a rugby league forward to a powerful rugby back.

Mason visited Toulon last Wednesday with his London-based manager Greg Keenan.

According to French reports he was "seen having coffee with [Toulon president] Mourad Boudjellal".

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Boudjellal is the eccentric comic book publisher who owns Toulon and signs the biggest cheques in world rugby to recruit the best players.

Giteau recently signed a $900,000-a-year contract to join Toulon's galaxy of stars.

English Test star Jonny Wilkinson is already playing for Toulon, and Springboks hardman Bakkies Botha will join the side next year.

There's also speculation that Williams will return to Toulon, and once again will play alongside his former Bulldogs teammate.

Toulon recently offered the All Black a staggering $1.8 million per season to return to the south of France after the Rugby World Cup.

Williams joined Toulon after fleeing his Bulldogs contract in 2008, and played for two seasons before returning to New Zealand last year.

In dominant form for the Crusaders, Williams has been among the best players in the Super Rugby competition and his former French employer is keen to re-sign him.

But the signing of Mason as a centre could also be Toulon's back-up option.

Mason is not in the same class of athlete as SBW but Toulon may be keen to see if they could transfer his 118kg size and handling ability into a line-breaking role at centre.

Mason also holds a Tongan passport, which would mean he does not qualify as a foreign import for Toulon.

Mason has considered a code switch before, having spoken with then New South Wales Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie about joining the team in 2007.

He also visited Japan in 2009 to talk with rugby clubs.

The former Kangaroo recently joined English Super League club Hull on a three-year contract.

Seems like it is going ahead

T

TOCC

well on a positive note, hopefully Toulon get burnt by his poor performances and decide to steer clear of Australian players for a few years

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
well on a positive note, hopefully Toulon get burnt by his poor performances and decide to steer clear of Australian players for a few years

I think if Toulon fails again to win, the president will leave the club so they won't have that many cash to spend.
Toulon is not really appreciated in France, except by people living on the Azur Coast

And it seems to be official, but nothing yet in the French medias
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/mason-a-french-rugby-target/story-e6frfgbo-1226041761085

Johnny Blaze

Herbert Moran (7)
Centre??? lacks the skill set and speed required and will be badly shown up in defence worse than Tahu was. Guys like Mafi Kefu and Mathieu Bastareaud will snap him over there if he thinks he will just use his size.

B

BRIX

Dead shit/washed up Leaugie has a chance of slotting in to team of seasoned vets such as Giteau, Botha, Fernandez Lobbe, Johnny Wilkinson etc.

I often laugh at Rugbys idiosyncrasies and hypocrisy.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I just can't understand how they think this will work? I think Mason's manager has pulled the wool over Boudjellal's eyes and convinced him he's another that he's another SBW. How much could Boudjellal really know about league?

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just can't understand how they think this will work? I think Mason's manager has pulled the wool over Boudjellal's eyes and convinced him he's another that he's another SBW. How much could Boudjellal really know about league?

Perhaps he is needing some inspiration in finding new characters for his comics empire...hence Big Willie...

B

BRIX

It's not how much Boudjellal knows darkhorse, a man of that social status has consultants and guessing by their recent acquisition, it's safe to say they sat around and watched the youtube video of big Willie knocking out Fielden In the 2005-6 test. Having said that, It's a shame they missed the ones of him running the 100 in late 00:18 seconds ha ha. I can't argue about how big his heart is but Mason in the backline - my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.