• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I personally feel that having a good women's team adds a huge amount to a good club culture. The Sunnybank women are great. Always first to volunteer for anything and really appreciate any support they get.
I couldn't agree more, and what you say is absolutely paralleled here at Parramatta. The Womens team are great value, and highly valued here.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is funny/ironic that the last two home town heros clubs featured on The Rugby Club were Sunnybank and the Mighty Two Blues. Both seem to have successful Womens programmes as a key and integrated part of their club.

Is there a message there?

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Parramatta Womens' team have submitted a report for the win over Waverley on the club website. This coming Saturday will be huge at Merrylands RSL Rugby Park as the women do battle with the Warringah Ratettes and the men take on the might of Eastwood.

cg26

Stan Wickham (3)
A very outside perspective on the Parramatta Women last year is they had a large number of girls in their squad, allowing them to pick better players, and an attitude of playing for fun in a very ferocious way.

It would be good to know what is going on with the Penrith team/s, after the report from Parramatta mentioned playing the Emus in a friendly.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
A very outside perspective on the Parramatta Women last year is they had a large number of girls in their squad, allowing them to pick better players, and an attitude of playing for fun in a very ferocious way.

It would be good to know what is going on with the Penrith team/s, after the report from Parramatta mentioned playing the Emus in a friendly.
Well observed. Parramatta attract a lot of players for a couple of reasons - although I'm not sure about the "ferocious" play. I'll try to find out what's happening with the Penrith situation and report back here when I am able.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wonder (hope it hasn't been mentioned before in this thread or elsewhere) if you are all aware that the Southern Inland rugby have set up a women's sevens rugby competition for this season, and by all accounts it is going gangbusters despite not all clubs fielding their own team.

My own daughter has found a new lease in life in discovering rugby via the womens sevens, and although being sixteen and the only schoolgirl in her team, she has been embraced by the older women of all walks of life in her team which could only be beneficial to her as she gets older.

Hopefully those playing rugby for the first time via the sevens pathway will discover the merits of the 15 a side game, only time will tell which format will grow more than the other, but I trust though both would grow in tandem instead!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the idea of introducing 7's to schoolgirls at U16 and U18 level would have great benefits for the game. I think there are a lot of female athletes in these age groups looking for a sporting outlet with the opportunities that 7's rugby provides.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wonder (hope it hasn't been mentioned before in this thread or elsewhere) if you are all aware that the Southern Inland rugby have set up a women's sevens rugby competition for this season, and by all accounts it is going gangbusters despite not all clubs fielding their own team.

My own daughter has found a new lease in life in discovering rugby via the womens sevens, and although being sixteen and the only schoolgirl in her team, she has been embraced by the older women of all walks of life in her team which could only be beneficial to her as she gets older.

Hopefully those playing rugby for the first time via the sevens pathway will discover the merits of the 15 a side game, only time will tell which format will grow more than the other, but I trust though both would grow in tandem instead!

I have not been on this thread for a while. I was 16 when I started & I found the older women were very supportive - it was one particular older maori players influence that convinced my Mother I'd be ok to play. Given I was built like a toothpick the female player was one hell of an negotiator.

On the 7's to 15's aspect we have had an influx for players into the comp this year in that 16-18 yr old age group mixing in with 20's, 30's & 40's years players. These girls came from school girl Rugby which has mostly 7's I believe but does have 15's as well at times (I have to learn more about the school system here). It is a shame Hamilton could not have got any & thus folded this year - I'm hoping we'll be back next year.

2bluesfan one of the Hamilton players is at the 2 Blues this year I believe, good to hear they are doing well.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Well done Two Blues.

Impressive result.. Score was on twitter very soon after game finished

I was unable;e to attend any games this weekend , the early posting of the result was greatly appreciated.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Parramatta Women's team will play Sydney Uni this Saturday at Merrylands RSL Club Rugby Park. 2pm kick off. Certainly worth a look if you're in the area. Uni will be looking to reverse the loss they suffered in the first round but the Two Blues women are a strong and focused team. Should be a very good match.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Parramatta Women's team will play Sydney Uni this Saturday at Merrylands RSL Club Rugby Park. 2pm kick off. Certainly worth a look if you're in the area. Uni will be looking to reverse the loss they suffered in the first round but the Two Blues women are a strong and focused team. Should be a very good match.

2BF is this being played on the main ground ie between 2nd grade and 1st grade?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybank Women are playing the Japanese 7's team tonight. They also played a couple of games on Saturday.

ZhgBSGvufB

http://instagram.com/p/ZhgBSGvufB/

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On Total Rugby show tonight there was a good feature on the Women's World 7's tournament in Amsterdam.

We were beaten by Russia - Sheee-it. 3 years left to Rio and there is a fair bit of work to be done if we want to have a podium finish.

Nice looking player for Canada in the Final vs the Darkness. She had more ink on her arms than our own Quade Cooper.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Russia have invested heavenly in sevens. The government only fund Olympic sports and having the World Champs there would be a big incentive for them to do well.

Pretty good sevens circuit in Europe from what I understand.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Then we need to do something like the Green Edge Cycling team approach and base our team over there and play their hearts out on the circuit.