• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Grinning Winners

BV36CXrCYAErf7G.jpg:large

Source:

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Apparently this was the first time our Women's 7's team has played an International tournament on home soil. Would be nice if it could happen more often in the future.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Australian Rugby Union today announced the 2014playing schedule for Australia’s elite women, with theWallaroos set to play reigning Women’s Rugby World Cup champions New Zealand and Canada in the inaugural International Series in New Zealand in Mayand June next year.

An initial squad of 36 will be announced next week to begin a national preparation program in November. The squad will also attend the first training camp to be held at the Australian Institute of Sport in February 2014.

The preparation program will continue through to the tour of New Zealand in May before competing at the 2014 Women’s Rugby World Cup in Paris 1-17 August 2014.

Next week’s national team selection follows last month’s National Women’s Championships in Sydney, which saw Sydney dominate the tournament and beat Queensland 22-3 in the final.

More info here: http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1760/ArticleID/10363/Default.aspx

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ARU Schools Sevens » Girls
Round 1 - 12/10/2013
Pool A South Australia : NSW W 7 v SA 12
Pool B: ACT 24 v VIC 19
Pool C: WA 36 v NT 0

Round 2 - 12/10/2013
Pool A: QLD R 24 v NSW W 14
Pool B: NSW B 27 v ACT 0
Pool C: QLD W 19 v WA 14

Round 3 - 12/10/2013
Pool A: QLD R 27 v SA 7
Pool B: NSW B 27 v VIC 0
Pool C: QLD W 45 v NT 0

Finals - 12/10/2013
Plate Playoff: Victoria 34 v NT 7
SF1 Plate: SA 24 v NSW White 0
SF2 Plate: ACT 29 v Victoria 17
SF1 Cup: QLD Red 33 v QLD White 5
SF2 Cup: NSW Blue 24 v WA 12

7th/8th Play Off: NSW White 36 V Victorian Schools 5
3rd/4th Playoff: QLD White 12 v WA 20
Plate Final (6th/7th): South Australia 22 v ACT Brumbies 5
Cup Final: QLD Red 10 v NSW Blue 22

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
5 Parra girls in the initial Wallaroos squad for the World Cup in France next year! I will post the squad when I can find it.............

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The list below contains the initial squad. I understand there are also a number of shadow players but I don't have any information as to who they might be.

Camp 1 Dates: 7-11 February 2014
Camp Venue: Australian Institute of Sport, Canberra
Alisha Hewett ASRU
Amy Gilbert QLD
Brooke Saunders ASRU
Asaka Ono QLD
Caroline Vakalahi ASRU
Ashleigh Hewson SYD
Catharina Prinsloo SA
Ashley Marsters VIC
Chloe Buttler SYD
Cheyenne Campbell QLD
Danielle Meskell SYD
Eva Karpani SA
Delena Dennison QLD
Kenina Terita SYD
Emily Robinson SYD
Madeline Putz WA
Hayley Sullivan ASRU
Mahalia Murphy SYD
Ina Mata SYD
Michelle Perry NSWC
Louise Burrows ACT
Nareeta Masters QLD
Margaret Watson NSWC
Patricia Raikadora SYD
Meg Kana QLD
Tricia Brown QLD
Michelle Bailey SYD
Tui Ormsby SYD
Mollie Gray ASRU
Oneata Schwalger VIC
Rebecca Clough WA
Rebecca Smyth NSWC
Sarah Laman SYD
Shellie Millward ACT
Simaima Taufa SYD
Victoria Latu SYD

cg26

Stan Wickham (3)
Article on the squad with a little more explanation:

http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/wallaroos-world-cup-squad-named

"However he must await a decision by the Sevens management on what players, if any, will be released from World Series duties."

Ouch. From my perspective winning a World Cup is way more important than the Sevens, and any players who want to contest for a 15s spot should be released without prejudice. Here's hoping the Olympic tunnel vision doesn't take priority.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I guess the issue with Seven's revolves around the Commonwealth Games that would be seen as a priority 2 years out from the Olympics. The Comm Games finish the week before the WRWC.

cg26

Stan Wickham (3)
Pretty sure they aren't having women's teams at the 2014 Commonwealth Games?

Everything I can find says 2018, and maybe 2015 Youth Commonwealth Games.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Right you are. In that case I can see no reason why the Sevens players wouldn't be released for the Women's RWC.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The pools for the Women’s Rugby World Cup in 2014 are:
Pool A - England, Canada, Spain, Samoa
Pool B - New Zealand, USA, Ireland, Kazakhstan
Pool C - Australia, France, Wales, South Africa

The Women’s Rugby World matches will take place on August 1, 5, 9 and 13, with the Final played on August 17. Match schedules will be announced at a later date.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The pools for the Women’s Rugby World Cup in 2014 are:
Pool A - England, Canada, Spain, Samoa
Pool B - New Zealand, USA, Ireland, Kazakhstan
Pool C - Australia, France, Wales, South Africa

The Women’s Rugby World matches will take place on August 1, 5, 9 and 13, with the Final played on August 17. Match schedules will be announced at a later date.

Thanks for posting these!

I think we have a challenging pool, the French & Welsh are both solid (in comparison to us). South Africa I have no idea as to how they have improved, or not - they are a bit of an unknown to me. England & NZ should cruise through their pools. Hopefully these games will be streamed online like last time.

I look forward to seeing us play Wales. I recall a former team mate of mine who played for the Wallaroos (& is still apart of the squad now) stating that the Welsh women were one of the dirtiest teams she'd ever faced. Funny thing is she isnt exactly the cleanest player herself :D

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought that the Dutch Womens team were pretty good, or is that just for 7's?

No spot for them in the World Cup 2014.

I hear that the game is going gangbusters in USA.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
There is some talk that Women's 7's may gain NCAA status as part of the equal opportunities reform. This would have a big effect on the women's game as suddenly a lot of players would move to the states to play and once there for 3 years, qualify for the US team.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
There is some talk that Women's 7's may gain NCAA status as part of the equal opportunities reform. This would have a big effect on the women's game as suddenly a lot of players would move to the states to play and once there for 3 years, qualify for the US team.
Wow, that would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

cg26

Stan Wickham (3)
Dubai huh!!! What a fantastic game. Glad to see some news about it here and there. Really encouraging stuff for our team going forward.

There is still a difference in quality from the top to the bottom of the tournament - but at the top what an abundance of that electrifying feeling that only watching 7s can bring.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm guessing the Women's national Championships are on the back burner again in 2014. Nominations for QLD rep team coaching positions are out and Women's XV's isn't included.
I would love it if the ARU made it a annual event as it would send a positive message to all involved in the women's game.

Top Bottom