• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World cup tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
G'day,

50 days to the world cup!

I was thinking about previous world cups and the tactics that various countries have used well to win the cup or use effectively.

For example (this is in my opinion mind you disagree if you like) there were a number of tactics used that were rather surprising and effective.

*South Africa in 1995 kicking the ball dead for a 22 to have good field position and a return of possesion.

*2003 England won the world cup with mauling the ball when everyone wanted to play quick ruck ball

*2007 and Argentina's mid field bombs (I loved this tactic) and when the ball came down just absolutely belted whoever had the ball. This was obviously practiced, often resulting in a turnover or a scrum. Or broken play that they attacking team was always on the front foot.

I have a feeling that attempting drop goals and kicking dead for a restart at the 22 for possesion may pop up.

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.