• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Sevens Caravan coming to Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

You have Cronulla or Brookvale, but both are very difficult to get to unless your from that area

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think Sydney should have relinquished the event for 2019 whilst the SFS was not available.

Clearly they consider this the best option available to them (out of a bad selection of options).

Who knows what will happen now though. There's a fair amount of pressure on the NSW Government to cancel the SFS rebuild.

There are no good options, the least bad option is all that there is.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You have Cronulla or Brookvale, but both are very difficult to get to unless your from that area

In terms of rectangular grounds in Sydney, Concord and Penrith at the least worst options. (Unless the ARU could prevail upon the government to get Parramatta Stadium finished by the first week in February - in which case the event would have the perfect venue in terms of size, configuration and geography) Yes folks, there are pubs and restaurants in Parramatta.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Unless the ARU could prevail upon the government to get Parramatta Stadium finished by the first week in February - in which case the event would have the perfect venue in terms of size, configuration and geography) Yes folks, there are pubs and restaurants in Parramatta.
I see it daily!

It'll be finished by then I reckon. Stands are up, roof is going on now - but there is zero chance that the first event held out there will be a rugby event.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I see it daily!

It'll be finished by then I reckon. Stands are up, roof is going on now - but there is zero chance that the first event held out there will be a rugby event.

You're probably right, but I'd have thought that staging an international event at one of these new stadia would be just the sort of publicity that the NSW government would like given that one of their reasons for rebuilding stadia is to attract international events. I wonder if anyone from RA has put that to the Minister, who may well see it as a bit of a lifeline.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the public transport the the Olympic precinct is fine - you get on a train at Central, get off and walk 500 meters to the big stadium, probably a little further to Spotless. I agree the shape of the oval is not good but location wise it's fine, if Parramatta is ready then as everyone is saying it is the clear favorite. I assume WR (World Rugby) would like to know a certain amount in advance that it would be right - a guarantee which can't be given.

T

TOCC

Should take it to Melbourne for the year IMO, AAMI Park would be perfect. Crowd is an unknown factor; but no more of an unknown then taking it to Spotless Stadium.

If AAMI Park is a bust crowd wise, then no sweat it returns to Sydney the next year and plays at Parra or the new SFS.

There’s a very good chance that if they take it to Spotless they may cause irreparable damage to the ‘Sydney 7s’ brand with shit crowds and a poor match day experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Makes a lot of sense TOCC. I'm sure the issue is around government funding as NSW would have paid quite a bit to host the event, maybe they shouldn't have if they are knocking down all their stadiums.

Status
Not open for further replies.