• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Series Rugby: Rd 5 Western Force v Samoa Saturday 14 July at 06:30PM WST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good team for the game against Samoa.

Get ready for a Blue V Blue match-up.

Samoa in Blue jersey, white shorts and white socks.

Western Force in Blue Indigenous Round jersey, blue shorts and blue socks.

IMG_20180712_205606.jpg

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force duo AJ Alatimu and Henry Stowers eye World Cup call-up
Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Friday, 13 July 2018

Western Force players AJ Alatimu and Henry Stowers have huge motivation to impress in tomorrow’s World Series Rugby clash against Samoa: A place in their World Cup squad.

Inside back Alatimu had his first taste of international rugby for Samoa against Scotland at Murrayfield last year and back-rower Stowers is a Samoa A and under-20 captain.
“Playing for Samoa and playing in a World Cup is something I’ve dreamt of, 100 per cent,” Alatimu said.
“I’ll be pushing for that, pushing as hard as I can.
“Playing against your own country and mates, these are game you look forward too.
“The team they are bringing will have something to prove. They will be hoping to showcase for a World Cup spot as well.”

Stowers, who said playing against his homeland at nib Stadium would be the highlight of the year, also has one eye on next year’s world cup in Japan.
“The selectors will see me and if I play well it will be a bonus,” he said.
“If it all works out I could be on the end-of-year tour but my focus is winning for the Western Force.”
If they get the nod the pair are likely to join Force teammate and inside back Rodney Iona who is already in the Samoan squad.

Signing his first professional contract with the Force brought Alatimu full circle, having first moved to Perth three years to play for Wests in the local competition.
He represented Perth Spirit in the National Rugby Championship but then moved to the GPS club in Brisbane and also played for Brisbane City in the NRC before getting the call from the Force.
“I’ve come a long way and it’s been a big couple of years for me,” he said.

Stowers, who was recruited after his stand-out performance at this year’s World Rugby Pacific Challenge and first ever combine, knows many of tomorrow’s opposition.
“I can’t wait. I’m looking forward to having a physical game,” he said.
“They will be direct, there will be a lot of contact, a lot of physicality.
“You go out to win, the game is the fun part, and at the end of it we can have laugh and a drink, but I’ll be giving it a big shot.”

Samoa coach Brian Lima was coaching the side that Alatimu toured with last year.
“He’s all about defence so there will be some big boys coming our way,” he said.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
World Series Rugby goes Global

World Series Rugby continues to expand its horizons with the live television coverage of Game 5 against Apia, Samoa to be made available to every sports fan on the planet via Twitter.

So far, WSR matches in front of large crowds in Perth between the Western Force and Fiji, Tonga, the Melbourne Rebels and New Zealand’s Crusaders have been screened live and free-to-air via the Seven Network in Western Australia and available right around Australia on Fox Sports.

From 6.30pm AWST tomorrow, July 14, the game will also be broadcast worldwide via the Twitter handle @WSR.

https://www.westernforce.com.au/world-series-rugby-goes-global/

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Samoa A team named
Media Release: Friday 13 July 2018

Samoa A head coach Muliagatele Brian Lima has named his side for an invitational match against a Western Force .
The squad is made up of all local players from the Bluesky Super 9 rugby championships and is lead by former Manu 7s captain, Afa Aiono
Samoa A team to play Western Force:

Starting XV:
1. Siliva Tapu
2. Afa Aiono (c)
3. Ueselani Aimaasu
4. Mikaele Tapili
5. Ikifusi Matamu
6. Levi Asifa'amatala
7. Lio Lolo
8. Fagu Malloy
9. Morman Uili
10. Mesala Seumalo
11. Paulo Scanlan
12. Gordon Lemision
13. Jay Malielegaoi (vc)
14. Ivan Safua
15. John Vaili

Bench:
16. Leo Brown
17. Turi Uini
18. Alofaaga Sao
19. Elia Togitele
20. Steve Tuiuli
21. Pupi Ah See
22. Henry Suauu
23. Vaifagaloa Mamoe

Management:
Head coach: Muliaagatele Brian Lima
A. Coach: Soifua John Schuster
Team Manager: Potu Leavasa
Trainer: Simon Price
Physio: Akbar Bhamji

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Loving watching the Force but the commentary is making Kearn’s and Marto sound like Martin Tyler. Sickening at times. Actual games very entertaining at times

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I wouldn't say Shute Shield level by any stretch. It's a fair bit better than that but in all honesty how would we judge?

In any case, those were some of the worst rugby conditions as a spectator I can remember. I don't think I've walked away from a game as cold or wet as I was tonight! The game was pretty sloppy and it was easy to see why.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seriously the last 3 games the force played has been shit rugby.change required as this sort of rugby will attract no one to Wsr.

Obviously I must be watching different games.............
Below par performance against the Rebels.
Fantastic high standard and entertaining rugby against the Crusaders.

The WF in 2018 is playing under the bannner of WSR but it's only an invitational series to keep the professional game alive in WA. WSR is not going to have 3 weeks between games on a regular basis.
The current player squad is a good foundation for next year. Expect more players once WSR is announced.
Wait for the announcement in August.....WSR will have no problems attracting interest in 2019.

Obviously it's having no problems attracting rugby fans in Perth - even when the weather was worse than any previous game that I've attended at NIB (and I've been to most).
TV coverage doesn't show how poor the conditions really were.

A fair appraisal for the Head Coach & Captain - especially after the 3 week break.
It was never going to be a pretty game in these conditions.

WSR seems to be having problems with Aussie refs keeping to the rule changes esp around the scrums - just too many resets.

10 August - Hong Kong

17 August - Panasonic

25 August - Australian Stockman

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hasn’t been that bad, they’d take the SS sides to the cleaners. Weather hasn’t been helpful in a few games but the standard has been what I’d thought it’d be (around NRC) and I’m enjoying watching it without any expectation. Just love having some more rugby to watch with an Australian team.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Apologies I rewatched a replay of the Force vs Samoa game and my criticism was unwarranted - as they actually played well for the conditions and perhaps was not reflecting this after watching Brumbies Tahs game just before this.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
Appreciate that Rugbynutter. The conditions were the worst I've experienced as a spectator. Both teams should be commended for their efforts, but the Samoan dancers at half time deserve a medal.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really pleased that ALL of the WSR Western Force games are available in HD on YouTube.

Means that I can sit and watch a replay at my leisure - whenever/wherever.

Check out the Apia Samoa game and you can get an appreciation of how tough were the weather conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.