• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Would Lote Tuqiri make your Wallaby 22?

Tuqiri in your wallaby 22

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Please vote & give your reasons why you would or wouldn't inclue Lote Tuqiri in your matchday 22.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I voted no and I think I have plenty of reasons why he wouldn't make my 22 & shouldn't make Deans either.

1. Not quick enough
2. Isn't elusive anymore & rarely does he beat his marker
3.No kicking game to speak of, has an alright chip kick & that's it.
4.Isn't as good as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Hynes, Turner, Ioane, Mitchell, Shepherd & maybe even Cummins.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I voted yes, fully expecting to be one of the only Scarfers to do so. I think LT is a class player, and the best defensive winger in the world. He works very hard, runs the ball in tight and breaks the first tackle on almost every occassion.

He isn't lightning fast but is very quick, and has been given limited opportunities on the Waratahs wing (yet still racks up good numbers because he comes infield to help out). I would have him on one wing any day, just because his defensive game is so good.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Just until Ione comes back, though. I rate him only moderately. I think he's been making too many errors lately, and can't play as a 2nd fullback.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
disco said:
Tuqiri...Isn't as good as
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) cursed with versatility. The perfect utility back for 11-15, on the bench.
Hynes not had a great year, has he slowed down a bit?
Turner still not quite physical enough.
Ioane without a doubt one of the best, when not injured.
Mitchell poor tackler and ball handler. What do people see in him?
Shepherd better suited at 15, when not injured.
& maybe even Cummins see comments for Turner.

Tuqiri was handicapped at the Tahs this year, being outside Carter particularly. The Tahs' back were, in a word, crap. Their two quality wingers got bugger all good ball and were lucky to get picked in Deans' squad. It'd be fascinating to see how they would've gone on the end of the Force backline.

Lote deserves a jumper in a matchday Wallaby 22.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He isn't lightning fast but is very quick, and has been given limited opportunities on the Waratahs wing (yet still racks up good numbers because he comes infield to help out). I would have him on one wing any day, just because his defensive game is so good.

Did you see Rexona's greatest athelete - beach sprint. He looked decidedly slow compared to some of the other guys, ending up around the same speed as Andrew Symonds, and well beaten by the pole vauter, leagie (slater), soccer and afl players.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
PS I'd have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Hynes as my current starting wingers. As Tuqiri doesn't offer much on the bench he wouldn't be in the 22.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Scotty said:

Did you see Rexona's greatest athelete - beach sprint. He looked decidedly slow compared to some of the other guys, ending up around the same speed as Andrew Symonds, and well beaten by the pole vauter, leagie (slater), soccer and afl players.

Yeah, thats because he weighed at least 15kg more than any other competitor (except Symonds) and in a 40m beach sprint that is going to cost you, especially against guys like Slater and Hooker who have serious toe. At full steam he is still very hard to run down though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes, for the reasons elucidated by barbarian and Lindo. I think it dictates we should try to play a real flyer on the other wing though. I think Tuqiri is quick enough if given space enough, and the defensive work cannot be overlooked.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Scotty said:

I would expect every one of those guys to beat him in a beach sprint. If he was getting beaten by a shot putter, a league prop, a soccer goalie and an AFL ruckman I might be worried.

I would say he was quicker than Shep and would definately have him in my starting 15 with Mitchell getting the other wing spot.

Hynes hasnt done it for me at all this year (agree he looks significantly slower than last year), Turner has grown on me but is still yet to convince me with his defence and kick taking options, Ioane is injured while AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be on my bench with Shep at fullback. If JOC (James O'Connor) proves himself to be an international fullback I would take Shep straight out of the side and leave the others as they are.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No. When he runs, he makes good ground across field but not enough up field. He doesnt beat his opposite number on the outside because he is too slow and because he has a league habit of cutting back in. He is good defensively, but not quick enough to run down anyone Mortlock lets through. He doesnt work hard enough off the ball, particularly on kick chases.

The absence of an Oz A side this year is going to hurt us. LT would be a good player for Oz A and, if he performed well enough, could make it back.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
disco said:
I voted no and I think I have plenty of reasons why he wouldn't make my 22 & shouldn't make Deans either.

1. Not quick enough
2. Isn't elusive anymore & rarely does he beat his marker
3.No kicking game to speak of, has an alright chip kick & that's it.
4.Isn't as good as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Hynes, Turner, Ioane, Mitchell, Shepherd & maybe even Cummins.

5. Has been shithouse for half a decade, coasting on reputation and 'marketability'.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Without diggers as the alternative, he's a yes for me.

LT's still a tackler magnet (in the good sense)  - it always takes upwards of 2 guys to get him to ground and he makes yards while doing it, creating opportunities galore around him. As mentioned he's also v solid defensively and hits plenty of rucks out wide.

We can have a second fullback / gas man in Mitchell or Turner on the other wing.

If it was just about pace, where's jet shoes Fainifo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yht981OCO1M

S

Spook

He is an excellent defender. Bottled up Shane Williams when Hynes couldn't.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Indeed, there was week one where Varndell surprised Lote with his pace.... there were calls for Lote to be dropped and he copped a heap of flak from his teammates.

Then there was week 2 when Lote showed himself to be a world class defender and now Varndell will forever be Lote's bitch. Here's a quote off Varndell's official England player profile page[/url.

Status
Not open for further replies.