• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Would Lote Tuqiri make your Wallaby 22?

Tuqiri in your wallaby 22

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
SNK is STILL bitter about Lote pushing him in the back...

SAM NORTON-KNIGHT has some advice for anyone planning to watch Northern Suburbs back up against Warringah this Saturday after their upset Shute Shield victory over West Harbour.

No … it is not to come and see the Waratahs fullback bid adieu to the Shute Shield at North Sydney Oval in what will probably be his last club game before he moves to Wales to join the Cardiff Blues.

Rather, Norton-Knight recommends attending the round 12 game to watch the unheralded flair and finesse of his Northern Suburbs teammate Andrew Smith, who scored the first of the Shoremen's three tries in their 25-21 win over the Pirates at Concord Oval on Saturday.

Norton-Knight, who leaves for Wales in the next fortnight, predicts big things for the outside-centre who beat Wallabies and Waratahs winger Lote Tuqiri to score in the corner.

"Five or 10 minutes into the first half he made a break, and I was inside screaming for it. Then he has just seen Lote, went in and away, burned Lote and scored in the corner, which was a fair effort," fullback Norton-Knight said.

He said he warned Waratahs backs coach Scott Wisemantel late last year that he might regret not keeping Smith on their academy program. "I would be surprised if one of the other teams don't grab him because he is a good footballer."

The Herald understands the Brumbies have already spoken to Smith.

However, despite Smith beating Tuqiri for his try, Norton-Knight - who earned two Test caps in 2007 - said he was still shocked that the 67-Test veteran had failed to make the Wallabies 22-man squad that played Italy in Canberra on Saturday night.

"I don't think you can read too much into the [club] result. He was probably disappointed, but I am sure he will be knocking on the door for the next few Tests," Norton-Knight said. "I'm surprised he is not starting [for the Wallabies], or at least on the bench. But that's the way they are going. It's frustrating. I've been there … I don't expect he will be on the fringe too long."

Norton-Knight, meanwhile, rated the Shoremen's win over West Harbour - who have fallen from third to fourth on the ladder - as one of his best experiences in club rugby.

Meanwhile, Wallabies flanker Phil Waugh, who made the best of his game time for Sydney University in their 29-17 win over Eastwood at TG Millner Field, said he enjoyed the chance to watch the Wallabies play Italy on television.

"It was a different perspective, but you could really see how much progress they have made in the last 12 months," Waugh said before rejoining the Test squad in Melbourne yesterday. "It was a great win, really exciting to watch."

In other games on Saturday: runaway leaders Manly edged Easts 24-20 at Manly Oval; Gordon defeated Penrith 51-10 at St Marys Leagues Stadium to hold third; Randwick trounced Parramatta 62-5 at Granville Park to move to fifth, and; Warringah stayed in touch with the top six by beating Southern Districts 27-0 at Pittwater Rugby Park.

R

rugbywhisperer

No I don't think he would but there has to be questions asked. he is still a top player, has a very solid defence so what is or did happen behind the scenes - he wasn't playing so badly as to be out of the mix.

F

formeropenside

Moses said:
SNK is STILL bitter about Lote pushing him in the back...

SAM NORTON-KNIGHT has some advice for anyone planning to watch Northern Suburbs back up against Warringah this Saturday after their upset Shute Shield victory over West Harbour.

No … it is not to come and see the Waratahs fullback bid adieu to the Shute Shield at North Sydney Oval in what will probably be his last club game before he moves to Wales to join the Cardiff Blues.

Rather, Norton-Knight recommends attending the round 12 game to watch the unheralded flair and finesse of his Northern Suburbs teammate Andrew Smith, who scored the first of the Shoremen's three tries in their 25-21 win over the Pirates at Concord Oval on Saturday.

Norton-Knight, who leaves for Wales in the next fortnight, predicts big things for the outside-centre who beat Wallabies and Waratahs winger Lote Tuqiri to score in the corner.

"Five or 10 minutes into the first half he made a break, and I was inside screaming for it. Then he has just seen Lote, went in and away, burned Lote and scored in the corner, which was a fair effort," fullback Norton-Knight said.

He said he warned Waratahs backs coach Scott Wisemantel late last year that he might regret not keeping Smith on their academy program. "I would be surprised if one of the other teams don't grab him because he is a good footballer."

The Herald understands the Brumbies have already spoken to Smith.

However, despite Smith beating Tuqiri for his try, Norton-Knight - who earned two Test caps in 2007 - said he was still shocked that the 67-Test veteran had failed to make the Wallabies 22-man squad that played Italy in Canberra on Saturday night.

"I don't think you can read too much into the [club] result. He was probably disappointed, but I am sure he will be knocking on the door for the next few Tests," Norton-Knight said. "I'm surprised he is not starting [for the Wallabies], or at least on the bench. But that's the way they are going. It's frustrating. I've been there … I don't expect he will be on the fringe too long."

Norton-Knight, meanwhile, rated the Shoremen's win over West Harbour - who have fallen from third to fourth on the ladder - as one of his best experiences in club rugby.

Meanwhile, Wallabies flanker Phil Waugh, who made the best of his game time for Sydney University in their 29-17 win over Eastwood at TG Millner Field, said he enjoyed the chance to watch the Wallabies play Italy on television.

"It was a different perspective, but you could really see how much progress they have made in the last 12 months," Waugh said before rejoining the Test squad in Melbourne yesterday. "It was a great win, really exciting to watch."

In other games on Saturday: runaway leaders Manly edged Easts 24-20 at Manly Oval; Gordon defeated Penrith 51-10 at St Marys Leagues Stadium to hold third; Randwick trounced Parramatta 62-5 at Granville Park to move to fifth, and; Warringah stayed in touch with the top six by beating Southern Districts 27-0 at Pittwater Rugby Park.

Tuqiri has not been a real speedster for some time. He's a physical winger, who will play well against lesser opposition. He's a good defender in contact, but apart from that his skillset is pretty one-dimensional.

I wonder if both he and Sailor might have been better used as blindside flankers on their recruitment to rugby. Actually, if I was LT I might try asking for a bit of match time at 6 in the closing minutes of games: the kind of versatility that can cover 6 and 11 might get him a bench slot these days.

J

JimL

I think the problem lies not with Lote, but the way the Waratahs used him this year. Generally, when you have Lote on one wing and Turner on the other, you would use them a lot more, instead the Waratahs played a kicking game which in the end just didn't work out for them. Lote Didn't have much of a chance to shine this year, but still played an excellent defensive game.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
rugbywhisperer said:
No I don't think he would but there has to be questions asked. he is still a top player, has a very solid defence so what is or did happen behind the scenes - he wasn't playing so badly as to be out of the mix.

That may be the problem - Deans wants a rugby winger, not Lote.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tuqiri too big a weapon to ignore: Deans

June 28, 2009 - 3:53PM

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans agrees banished winger Lote Tuqiri is too big a weapon not to be considered for Australia's assault on the Tri Nations series.

Tuqiri was the only fit member of the Wallabies' 30-man squad not used during the four June internationals against the Barbarians, Italy and France, prompting former Test selector Tim Horan to question Deans' thinking.

Horan said Deans must find room for the 191cm, 103kg, 67-Test veteran in his 22-man match-day squad for Australia's Bledisloe Cup clashes with the All Blacks in particular this season.

Deans on Sunday said he understood where Horan was coming from.

"Size does matter. Everything matters, and without a doubt that one of Lote's assets is his presence," Deans said.

"He is strong and he does intimidate. When you're standing opposite him (on the field), I imagine it's quite a daunting sight. I haven't had that experience."

Deans, though, once again refused to guarantee Tuqiri any Test time soon.

"But he's working hard," the coach said. "You can see that in his (Sydney club) games.

"He's working hard during the week as well as in games. When you do that, you cannot help but benefit from that.

"So he's going to get better and better and I've indicated to him that he's going to get an opportunity - with the caveat that he continues to work at what he's doing.

"Obviously when that is we don't know, but he's shown that he's got a will and a want and that's always the critical thing - how players respond to the challenges that they're presented with."

Deans will announce his Tri Nations squad on Thursday.

© 2009 AAP
Brought to you by aap

* Email
* Print
* Normal font
* Large font
* Subscribe to RSS
* Add to del.icio.us
* Digg this story
Advertisement

MORE RUGBY HEAVEN: NEWS| SUPER 14| TRI-NATIONS| SIX-NATIONS| APC/PROVINCIAL| WORLD CUP 07|

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
He was the same old Lote for West Harbour against Gordon yesterday. Crabbed sideways, was out of position often looking for his 'touches'.

Wing play at test play increasingly calls for fullback positioning, support and kicking skills which we know is hardly Lote's strong point. He hasn't dropped his excess weight. He isn't running straight and hard. He isn't in form. He isn't dominating, even at club level. Exactly what is so compelling that would justify his inclusion in the test side ?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
naza said:
He isn't dominating, even at club level.

I often find this to be a contentious point. Some players do dominate at club level. Some don't. It is particularly interesting for wingers, who have to rely so much on others to do their job. You could say "he should go looking for work" but then he's not exactly playing wing once that happens eh?

Another example - as a prop, you also are completely reliant on the rest of the T5 to make you look good. Dunning is a prime example, working well one week and then getting smashed by Manly the next.

Its a team game after all.

Some of the stuff Lote did yesterday was ordinary, some of it utterly selfless team play. He certainly got involved and was nearly as big a star as Steve Walsh at times. But the rest of the time it was simply a case of white boy footy beating cuzzy footy, and you can't blame Lote for stupid 50-50 passes by the blokes inside him.

That said, he should have switched to outside centre last year.

J

Jatz

Deans is a legend and the All Blacks should never have let him go.

Lote has had an arm-chair ride since he switched to union and it took a straight shooting honest coach like Deans to simply put it to him that he isn't good enough at the moment, to pick up his work rate and speed off the mark.

I wish someone like Deans was about when that disgrace of a Wallaby and a winger Wendell Sailor was around. Encapsulated by the moment when he bit in and gave Robinson an easy ride to the try line in the World Cup Final. God that guy was awful.

Its a shame to hear he had another average game for Wests. This will be a true test for Lote and if he gets back in the 22 at least with Deans you know he has earned it!! Good luck to him, cause the incumbents aren't doing much wrong.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The fact that we're having this conversation is why the Wallabies are 18.4% more committed than living memory (for a 10 year old).

Everyone in the squad knows they've got a chance, but only if the digit comes out and it works on field.

Hard to find someone this year holding a spot from reputation rather than form, from week to week as well.

Deans couldn't have picked a better example to have been made if he'd tried. Or did he....... >:D

T

TOCC

He should have moved to outside centre, its not to late for him to reinvent himself as a outside centre by the 2011 RWC, he can catch and pass the ball ok and he is quite good in defence, so theres no reason why he shouldnt be able to move into outside centre.

His going to struggle to beat Hynes, Mitchell, Ioane, Turner and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for a wing spot, he doesnt have the speed anymore, but i still think he has a lot to offer at 13.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
He's never looked like a natural rugby player. That isnt going to change by moving him to 13 where it is much harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.