• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Young Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Before we (qld) get raped (again), here is a must keep(or let's grab him before someone else does) thread;

I'll start with forwards: Quirk and Gill.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
SHIT, Mate, I thought you were going to suggest some red vinos to be set aside :angryfire:

C

chief

Bloody oath Gill is quite the player. Spectacular asset to the team, and I really do hope he performs well in Premier Rugby this year. I may sound unrealistic but I think with injuries and all, I could predict a Gill reds debut by next year. He really is looking the goods. Looking forward to his progress.

T

tranquility

Quirk, Gill, Kimani, Shatz have to be signed immediately as they could be a nucleus of an entire super side in 5 years.

Slipper, Tapuai and Toua would all be terrible losses as well.

I think Morahan is already tied up.

If we can do this contract negotiations right and free some of the dead wood and thus allowing spots for these young stars. We could actually be in a better place than we are this year, roster wise.

However if we stuff this process and lose this outstanding crop of youngsters it could be another decade in the doldrums.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't think the desire to keep these players is the problem! the size of our Check book is.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
True Sully, but with so many of the main squad off contract at the end of this year the challenge for officialdom will be who they retain and which of the young guys they secure. I think it's a given that they can't keep them all.

The thing about young players is that they may not be ready yet, but like any good Red, if you can keep them long enough..... Rod Davies is starting to look like a great case in point.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think one of the main thing in the Reds favour is Link. All of the talk out of Ballymore is how much things have changed and how much they are all enjoying the competition within the squad. Link has also stated that recruitment and retention take up most of his time (one of his greatest strengths in my eyes). He has had time to spend with the players and get a feel for how they play and will know who he wants and who he is happy to let go of. The young guys also know that he is willing to pick them if he thinks that they are ready for Super rugby. Shatz is a case in point. While money is a big factor it isn't the only one. Opportunity and quality coaching also are factors when signing a contract. Link provides both of these. Also for some of the young guys the stability of staying close to family and friends can be an issue. I think that the Reds will only lose a couple of players, if any, that Link wants to keep. All of the dead wood will be shown the door.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I think being involved in a team on the up is also a great incentive to stay. The culture is looking up. With the style of Rugby being played currently, the players stand a better chance of catching the eyes of the national selectors.

T

tranquility

I think you will find that Eddie Quirk will never leave Queensland. Which is a very good thing for QLD rugby.

Is Daley signed up, becasue he is also essential?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We could just about make a whole team full of under 23s that should be retained, with the possible exception of lock and fullback.

T

TOCC

cant remember where i read it, but Daley and Higginbotham are been targetted by the Rebels

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You might want to delete this thread. I'm pretty sure I saw rod Macqueen sniffing around here before.

Link created a great culture at the tahs. He will definitely help the reds retain some of these youngsters. Importantly, wherever they play has to give them the best chance to become a wallaby.

Off topic, Ive always suspected Waugh was one of the factors behind his departure.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Biffo said:
SHIT, Mate, I thought you were going to suggest some red vinos to be set aside :angryfire:

I've got my gums around a 2008 Grove Estate Sangiovese Barbera, does that qualify as a "Young Red"? :laugh: :laugh:

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
I knocked over a Massena Barbera '08 the other night Lindommer, a very talented young red. A fair bit of potential as well

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Juan Cote said:
I knocked over a Massena Barbera 08 the other night Lindommer, a very talented young red. A fair bit of potential as well.

Well done, JC, impressive choice, for a Queenslander. We'll be seeing a lot more Spanish and Italian varieties in this country as I think they suit our climate and food very well. I pitched for Massena's Sydney business last year but just missed out, they wanted someone more established and a bit bigger than me. Great wines.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
cant remember where i read it, but Daley and Higginbotham are been targetted by the Rebels

They're a must keep.

yeah, that was in the Bronco Mail today wasn't it?

Yeah spot on the Courier/Sunday mail is shit for Rugby read the Australian for real rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.