• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Your personal rugby highlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I got hold of a game between Georgia and Argentina 'A' and from the looks of it, a fair old crowd turned out in what I assume is the Georgian capital, Tblisi (commentary is in Georgian - which is only spoken basically by Georgians). The Georgians took a try off a 5m driving maul and the place went nuts.

I might have told this story before, but it took me back to RWC2003 where I attended the Georgia v Boks match. The Lelos (Georgia's team name) had spent the first weeks of the tournament in Perth, copping a bit of a pounding from Samoa and an outright thrashing from England. Some of the locals had taken them under their wings, and there were pictures of the players dancing with local girls at a rugby club and no doubt some fairly hefty quantities of alcohol consumed.

I remember things about the game - Schalk Burger as a very young chap (shaved head); the Boks playing largely within themselves but looking a bit tepid. However, almost the entire crowd was backing the underdogs, and even some Bok supporters cheered them on (a very few mealy-mouthed pissants in the crowd weren't - no prizes for guessing what shirts they were wearing).

In any case, it was a reasonable game with the faster and bigger professionals giving the T14 part-timers a fair going over. Just after the Boks infringed near their own line again, there was a yellow card. The Lelos sniffed a chance and on the back of some urging from the crowd, after a few barges their hooker got over the line for their first ever try in RWC history. The place went batshit crazy with cheering from the largely neutral crowd. The little Georgian halfback ran back down the sideline urging the crowd on, flapping his arms like he'd just been caught in a Jessica AtoB sandwich (Alba to Biel) and couldn't find words enough to express it. I swear the little bloke almost shed a tear.

I think there was only 28K or so in the SFS that night but it felt like more than a packed-out homebush for Bledisloe 2000. Looking at the guys playing their hearts out in their country's first showing on the World Stage put a smile on my face you couldn't kill with a stick. Just thinking about that moment gives me goosebumps, and shit I wish I'd taken my video camera to that game.

I have never experienced anything like it at a rugby ground, and I don't think I will again.

So what's your personal favourite. And I don't want "this one or that one" - I want the one that makes you feel the same way now as it did then. Can be you in the crowd, you scoring the winning try in the U8s grand final, whatever. Let's just sit back and celebrate rugby for all the right reasons while the shit flies about team selections, referees, and Paddy O'Brien being a dilapidated knob-jockey.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Australia v New Zealand, 1997 at the MCG. Or more specifically, the Anthems.

I wasn't certain how much of an Australian presence there was going to be, but the Anthems just washed all that away. We didn't win the game, but hearing the MCG erupt into Advance Australia Fair will always be a fond memory of mine.

You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayX9jY0l18Q

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
All Blacks v Tonga 2003 RWC at Suncorp. I was surrounded by All Blacks fans who had been telling me for about an hour before the game why the All Blacks were the best team in the world as they had the complete package even a war dance no one else could compete with. Then this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJuoP_4Ubp8

Even these pain in the ass All Blacks fans started to cheer when the Tongans started their war dance. This stuff just doesn't happen in other sports.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
That was awesome Jets, i remember that well.

Mine would have to be the 49-0 game against South Africa at Suncorp in 2006. We rarely punish a top class team and the crowd went bat shit every time we got the ball. Larkham was on fire and was the last time I was at the game to see him play. I usually like an even match but it was far too sweet not to enjoy.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
James Buchanan said:
Australia v New Zealand, 1997 at the MCG. Or more specifically, the Anthems.

I wasn't certain how much of an Australian presence there was going to be, but the Anthems just washed all that away. We didn't win the game, but hearing the MCG erupt into Advance Australia Fair will always be a fond memory of mine.

You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayX9jY0l18Q

OMG HUGH JACKMAN IS SINGING THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL ATHEM LOL!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
While I was lucky enough to get to the 91 RWC final at Twickers and even rave on off my scone at Bob Dwyer after the match, the best rugby experience I've had akin to NTA's, i.e. feel of the crowd etc, was the '99 RWC semi between the ABs and France, also at Twickers. Rated (by non Aussies) as probably the best game ever, especially as the ABs didn't win it.

The ABs were highly fancied as favourites for the whole shebang (probably most highly by themselves) with the likes of Lomu, Umaga, Wilson, Kronfeld, and Mehrtens in the side. Was this the best AB side ever?

By contrast the Frogs had pretty ordinary 5Ns that year and while they got away to an early try, two trademark dot downs from Jonah, where french tacklers literally ran out of his way, had us all thinking that the game was going to script with the score at 24-10.

So the ABs started their usual routine of being happy to sacrifice 3 whenever in their half, and the frogs, together with some outstanding forward play from the likes of Magne, helped themselves with 2 penalties and 2 drop goals in quick succession.

Suddenly it was 24-22. The Kiwi larynxes were starting to tighten and the crowd were getting fully behind the french; neutrals and frogs alike.

And then it broke loose.

The frogs started to play that brand of gallic champagne rugby that is simply unstoppable. Intricate passes at pace, and attacking kicks that bounce the right way. The Kiwis were completely fucking stunned as their world fell apart in front of them. If they ran it the frogs swarmed them, if they kicked it the frogs ran it back past them. Les Bleus scored 33, answered only by a consolation try to Wilson at the death. The final score was 43-31 to the French.

I've never been in a crowd like it, we were literally drunk on the atmosphere (with a little liquid help). To cap it all off I was wearing my beret as I played for London French at the time and got interviewed by Sky Sports on the way out of the ground. Safe to say they were a little surprised to hear the strine(ish) accent, but I still made the news!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdXqtYVynRU

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
All good stuff guys. Keep 'em coming everyone else!

Seb V said:
OMG HUGH JACKMAN IS SINGING THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL ATHEM LOL!

Yep - he kicked Margaret Urlich's arse! No wonder the crowd were fired up - all the women wanted him, and all the men wanted to BE him... except if they'd seen his wife.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wallabies v AB's at the MCG 2007.

Stirling Mortlock turns back the clock & starts to party like it was 2003 all over again I'm sitting behind the sticks to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) brush off Rico Gear, Chris Jack & Richie McCaw to get our 1st try & then Mortlock seals the game with a great bust & perfect over the top pass to Staniforth for the match winner.

My one & only live Bledisloe win have been to 3 lost 2 won 1.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jets said:
All Blacks v Tonga 2003 RWC at Suncorp. I was surrounded by All Blacks fans who had been telling me for about an hour before the game why the All Blacks were the best team in the world as they had the complete package even a war dance no one else could compete with. Then this happened.

Even these pain in the ass All Blacks fans started to cheer when the Tongans started their war dance. This stuff just doesn't happen in other sports.

that'd be close to mine too. I got absolute chills when it happened! Awesome

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rabaul, Papua New Guinea many many moons ago. Every year, the PNG inter-province championship was held, alternately in Port Moresby and Rabaul. Port Moresby had won year in, year out.

The year in question, we had some ideas. Police riot squads and Army troops were stationed in Rabaul on standby because considerable unrest was abroad. Some hard and tough men there. The nearby Vudal Agricultural College that year had a few Tongans doing its one-year course. A mate cobbled together and coached a team that he thought just might do the trick in Port Moresby. A few of us helped out. To Moresby we go, hopes high but with some apprehension about the Kiwi- and Aussie- laden "local" team.

The game was fought furiously throughout. Our blokes, on top in play but caned by a filthy, cheating Moresby referee (kiwi, don'cha know?) hung in there on the scoreboard and were still in touch with one minute to go. Moresby scrum 40 metres from our line. Our scrum, powered by a superb Tongan TH, monsters theirs and we win the ball. Along the backline it goes, smooth as can be until it reaches Police Lieutenant David Sanap (pronounced Sun Up) who steps his winger and goes clear, with 55 metres and the fullback between him and the goal line. On and on he goes, time standing still. The fullback comes at him, 30 metres from the line. Police Lieutenant Sanap steps in, steps out and the fullback eats (a little) turf and (lots of) dirt. Sanap races on, veers towards the posts and plants the ball under the dot.

Game over. Pandemonium

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
So many memories. And anyone would forgive a Wallaby supporter for living in the past at the moment.

Burke / Mortlock / Eales winning games after the siren.

Mortlock's intercept. Ohhhh, Mortlock's intercept. I went nuts + 100. Especially since I had tickets for next week's game.

But how about this. My Dad had a stroke, and was lying in bed at the hospital. A couple of days later, the Wallabies are playing and Lynagh slots 3 from the field. Dad says: "he's a good bloke to have in your side" and starts bawling. It's the stroke, of course, but it made me realise how rugby can really mean something moral and important to you apart from points on the board.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Ah yes, recalling those magic moments- what sport is all about.
I'm going to take you young whippersnappers back to 08/05/78 when the might of Wales were here on tour and played Sydney at the old Sydney Sports Ground.
Twas a hard physical game and the Sydney centres( Billy Feggans? + ?) tackled the Welsh backine into the rock-hard surface. Not withstanding this Wales edged ahead, leading 16-15 with 2 minutes to play.
From a Welsh error, Sydney fullback, Laurie Monaghan fielded a kick a metre inside half-way and similar distance from touch. Without hesitation he dropped the best field-goal I have ever seen to win the game! :yay

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The Chosen said:
Ah yes, recalling those magic moments- what sport is all about.
I'm going to take you young whippersnappers back to 08/05/78 when the might of Wales were here on tour and played Sydney at the old Sydney Sports Ground.
Twas a hard physical game and the Sydney centres( Billy Feggans? + ?) tackled the Welsh backine into the rock-hard surface. Not withstanding this Wales edged ahead, leading 16-15 with 2 minutes to play.
From a Welsh error, Sydney fullback, Laurie Monaghan fielded a kick a metre inside half-way and similar distance from touch. Without hesitation he dropped the best field-goal I have ever seen to win the game! :yay
Was there too. Magic. Would be close to my pick too as a spectator. I have a better one as a player, but that is for me to know! ;)

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Went to the 1984 Australia V Wales game.
Was the best day watching rugby I have ever had.
The atmosphere was incredible.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
There are two matches I attended which I'll never forget in my lifetime:
a) 1999 WC final France vs Wallabies at the Millenium Stadium.:
Not so much for the Wallabies winning the WC but the experience I had. Flying overseas for the first time in my life. Our booking was well ahead and obvious the disappointment when the Bokke get knockout the saturday before we went over by a Larkham droppie. Well that did not change my excitement levels and landing on Heathrow and experiense a busy big city like London. I use to be a person hating visiting the local mall and would rather spend my time in the garden. Anyway our tourgroup watch the Bokke beat the All Blacks in the 3rd play off the thursday. Could not believe you travell 3 to 4 hours by bus 120kms from London to Cardiff. Surprise to see the Druids had their own language and welcome us Boere in afrikaans in Cardiff. Our travel group was all Saffers and I was surprise to see most of these guys travelling all the way to London and decided to sell their final tickets and watching the final in the bars rather then attendding. Hell I could not understand that because for me it was the oppertunity of a lifetime and priceless to attend a WC final in Wales no matter if my team wasnt playing.

and what experience it was. Will never forget getting in the crowded bars around the Stadioum, smoking this vrot cigars to get space around us, flippen French supporter pissing in the washbays in the toilets 9nearly cutted one of thems cocks off) , swoping a Bok beany for a Haan fancy hat, the excitement walking to the stadium, the Welsch choirs singing all round the stadium, the quickest 80 minutes of rugby and the joy of the Convict fans after winning it. Then in the chaos after the test I lost all my Saffer pals. When I look around no one , there I was standing feeling like a man on the moon. Luckily got my train ticket and ending on the train with three Aussies, sharing in their joy, drinking NSW wines, ripping a whole fried chicken apart and laughing at the flippen Welsch and Pom sour faces. Hell I chatted and celebrating way to much and nearly missed Paddington Station.

The other test I really enjoy was between the Springbokke and the All Blacks on the 1986 Cavalier tour on Newlands. Me and my Mrs went to the test and I'll never forgot I told het ten minutes before the end whistles, lets just get out of the stadium. No way the Bokke can win this one and she told me to shut up and watch. Will never forgot Naas Botha kicking the ball to the corner flag and Carel Doep flying and scoring the winning try.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Mine would have to be the Matt Giteau collection of cross field kicks. My personal favourite being Scotland EOYT 2009.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
portugal vs new zealand in the 2007 RWC, when portugal absolutely belted out their national anthem with tears in their eyes, scored a pick and drive try and then played a match of soccer after the game with the all blacks. great spirit and good sportsmanship all round.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
DPK said:
portugal vs new zealand in the 2007 RWC, when portugal absolutely belted out their national anthem with tears in their eyes, scored a pick and drive try and then played a match of soccer after the game with the all blacks. great spirit and good sportsmanship all round.

Fark that's ace DPK. The Portugese try would rank right up there with Georgia's effort and the soccer game would be the icing on the cake!

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
well i'm a bit new to this sport (hence the username) and haven't been to any significant matches unfortunately. but one moment that has stuck with me is also from the 2007 RWC. USA vs. South Africa in the last match of Pool A play.

just before the half, USA with the ball deep in their own half and there's an errant pass. boks pick it up and trundle towards the line, another try looking imminent. they're held up and have to recycle the ball, going wide with a long cut out pass. clever (who now plays with the cheetahs) comes off the line and makes the intercept, sprinting up field and laying a massive hand off on butch james. that by itself would have been awesome, but the ball goes to the middle of the field and hercus flings a loopy pass out to z ngwenya. this lad can fly. he only has habana to beat down the line. throws a step in, then out, and burns him down the touchline. the crowd loves it, a thing of beauty all around.

definitely a highlight of the RWC and probably the best moment for USA rugby ever. ngwenya is now at biarritz and doing quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkU3zR-dsXU

Status
Not open for further replies.