• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RC - Wallabies vs Springboks, Gold Coast Sunday 12 September 8:05 PM

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think this will be a LOT closer than people think.

Play helter skelter and get a lead and you are in with a shot. Go toe to toe and try and muscle up and you are not.

The Boks are going to slow this right down in the first fourty and risk nothing. They want to drag you into shitfight.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hoping Quade goes well and cements my calls for Beale to complete the return of the three amigos.

9. McDermott
10. JO'C
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Kerevi
14. Kellaway
15. Beale
22. Cooper
23. Hodge

That could make a linebreak or two.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Hoping Quade goes well and cements my calls for Beale to complete the return of the three amigos.

9. McDermott
10. JO'C
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Kerevi
14. Kellaway
15. Beale
22. Cooper
23. Hodge

That could make a linebreak or two.
EOYT? I like it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The obvious answer is that it’s one of the few positions where there’s a tiny bit of depth- it’s not the case at fullback, hooker etc.

so the alternative at 6/8 has been effective against the kiwis?

I’d also add prop, hooker, lock, back row, fly-half, wing, centre, fullback, entire bench as positions of who didn’t stand up

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
can i ask what others think. who is in favour of winning games now at the expense of developing hardened test match veterans for a 2023 RWC campaign, and who thinks we should just be developing for 2 years hence and any wins in the interim are a bonus. it seems to me that we currently dont have the talent to do both (probably neither if truth be told) , ie should Rennie select what is currently the best 23, even if some even many, wont be around in 2 years or should we continue to play, Lolesio, Swinton, Paisami, Petaia, etc to get test match legs in to them.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
can i ask what others think. who is in favour of winning games now at the expense of developing hardened test match veterans for a 2023 RWC campaign, and who thinks we should just be developing for 2 years hence and any wins in the interim are a bonus. it seems to me that we currently dont have the talent to do both (probably neither if truth be told) , ie should Rennie select what is currently the best 23, even if some even many, wont be around in 2 years or should we continue to play, Lolesio, Swinton, Wilson, Paisami, Petaia, etc to get test match legs in to them.
We aren't a hope in hell for the 2023 model, but we will be for the 2027 one, as long as we can keep our players. I think we should be doing a bit of both - earmarking the players we want for 2027 and keep them in the system, giving them suitable opportunities as they arise but not throwing them to the lions to get experience. Think the approach of NZR with Mo'unga v that of ours with Lolesio. Ned Hanigan is another recent example of a player expected to do too much too soon. And use the battle hardened players with experience when we need them - JOC (James O'Connor), Hodge and now QC (Quade Cooper) - to start and give the up and comers experience off the bench against a slower, tired opposition initially and then grow from that. Admittedly there have been issues this year with injuries, exacerbated by the Covid situation, but it's the approach that should be taken. At RWC23 run with what we think our best and most balanced squad is at the time.

Last edited:

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
A test match should be just that, a test of the ability of the two sides representing their countries at the current point in time.

I am old school, this nonsense about building and re-building for every four year cycle does not wash, we pay to watch the best lock horns (whether it is for the stream or the the live experience as a spectator) to see the best of the two countries meet to test each other to win.

This should be the pinnacle for every player every single time.

Players and coaches do not know if this will the first, the last or one of many games they get to partcipate in. In a sport like this a player may peak at a certain time and potentailly be injured or out of form for the next, they need to play for the here and now as the future is too uncertain.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A test match should be just that, a test of the ability of the two sides representing their countries at the current point in time.

I am old school, this nonsense about building and re-building for every four year cycle does not wash, we pay to watch the best lock horns (whether it is for the stream or the the live experience as a spectator) to see the best of the two countries meet to test each other to win.

This should be the pinnacle for every player every single time.

Players and coaches do not know if this will the first, the last or one of many games they get to partcipate in. In a sport like this a player may peak at a certain time and potentailly be injured or out of form for the next, they need to play for the here and now as the future is too uncertain.

Well said. +1.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think this will be a LOT closer than people think.

Play helter skelter and get a lead and you are in with a shot. Go toe to toe and try and muscle up and you are not.

The Boks are going to slow this right down in the first fourty and risk nothing. They want to drag you into shitfight.
so we need more tahs to be in with a chance?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
can i ask what others think. who is in favour of winning games now at the expense of developing hardened test match veterans for a 2023 RWC campaign, and who thinks we should just be developing for 2 years hence and any wins in the interim are a bonus. it seems to me that we currently dont have the talent to do both (probably neither if truth be told) , ie should Rennie select what is currently the best 23, even if some even many, wont be around in 2 years or should we continue to play, Lolesio, Swinton, Paisami, Petaia, etc to get test match legs in to them.
Winning is a state of mind and becomes addictive. You always play your best team ‘in the now’. Development players should be drip fed and it gives them a desire to become better than what they are. If players want the starting position they work harder for it. If you’re in a continuous winning team you work harder not to let the team down, and if you get an opportunity you work harder to keep it.
Unfortunately the Wallabies haven’t had players with the winning mind set an no one is held accountable because it’s become a pattern of mediocre is the norm.
The Wallabies 23 should be the elite of the elite, not a developing player’s audition. That’s what our Barbarian’s team should be for. Oh wait, we don’t have one . And I’m not talking U20s.

Last edited:

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
My view is always pick your best 23 to WIN the Test.... I don’t buy into this so called ... building for the World Cup... if the old veteran is still better than the young gun .. pick the veteran... Remember Radike Samo was picked at an older age and bloody killed them .. Scored one of the best tries against the ABS you will ever see... Lolesio will be over shadowed next year by the other young 10’s coming through imo... one of those .. whether it is Harrison, Donaldson or Gordon will definitely be in the running next year... as for Cooper tomorrow... Rennie is no slouch of a coach.... he wouldn’t have picked him if he didn’t think he was up for it... I really want to see Quade play well and have some redemption..... would like to have seen Hodge at fullback... Go the Wallabies....

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
My view is always pick your best 23 to WIN the Test.. I don’t buy into this so called . building for the World Cup. if the old veteran is still better than the young gun .. pick the veteran. Remember Radike Samo was picked at an older age and bloody killed them .. Scored one of the best tries against the ABS you will ever see. Lolesio will be over shadowed next year by the other young 10’s coming through imo. one of those .. whether it is Harrison, Donaldson or Gordon will definitely be in the running next year. as for Cooper tomorrow. Rennie is no slouch of a coach.. he wouldn’t have picked him if he didn’t think he was up for it. I really want to see Quade play well and have some redemption... would like to have seen Hodge at fullback. Go the Wallabies..
Too right.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We should pick our best team every time. Young, inexperienced players will slot in much better to a settled team that is playing better.

That said, the only players I really think need a break are Lolesio and Banks. We need to look at other options here. I can't believe Hodge still can't get a start at either of those positions.

I think guys like Swinton and Paisami are going ok. I'd also like to see Wilson some more and am not sure what he's really done wrong to fall out of favour.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As ever with Quade, I can't be sure what we will see, but I have to admit to a frisson of excitement after seeing him named.
But I think the Boks will hand us a fairly solid loss.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
can i ask what others think. who is in favour of winning games now at the expense of developing hardened tes.t match veterans for a 2023 RWC campaign, and who thinks we should just be developing for 2 years hence and any wins in the interim are a bonus. it seems to me that we currently dont have the talent to do both (probably neither if truth be told) , ie should Rennie select what is currently the best 23, even if some even many, wont be around in 2 years or should we continue to play, Lolesio, Swinton, Paisami, Petaia, etc to get test match legs in to them.
Build a winning mentality by winning matches now.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The point is the future, not currently

But also, NZ doesnt lose their best players overseas at 30. They have the sabbaticals which means they can still be selected for ABs even when in Japan

Also SA, picks the best players from wherever.

So eligibility has a significant part to play also. But we seem to be happy for our top players to leave and not be eligible because they may not still cut in in 3 years time (back to the future concept). Whereas ABs seem to have no doubt about Smith and Whitelocks contribution in 3 years time so either they have a crystal ball, or see value in veterans and willing to take the 'risk'.
"currently" is important

If you always win the next game the future takes care of itself.

If someone is good enough to knock an old guy out of the team then pick him, if he isn't then don't lose games just in case he is a future prospect.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tate has been excellent but I think the extra kicking option that White offers may have been good against the Boks. Both Ikitau and Banks need a solid game to retain their respective spots. More than solid in Ikitaus case. He needs to make a break or two and get in behind the defence. So far he has been OK but has not really added anything with ball in hand.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tate has been excellent but I think the extra kicking option that White offers may have been good against the Boks. Both Ikitau and Banks need a solid game to retain their respective spots. More than solid in Ikitaus case. He needs to make a break or two and get in behind the defence. So far he has been OK but has not really added anything with ball in hand.
Has Ikitau been put into space or a hole once in any test? If he has i missed it.

We either throw it to him in traffic or cut him out.

Banks is the one on the chopping block IMO. Getting run down on the wing by Ioane when the kick inside was a good chance to result in a try was so hard to watch.