• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
They have an advantage: Cheika knows everything about Aussie Rugby, he worked analyzing Super Rugby and even coached some of the players. I'm not sure if Rennie has that knowledge about Argie Rugby

Eddie Jones has beat the Wallabies 10 times since 2015, so that's a HUGE advantage IMO
The game plans are completely different, half the players are different. I don't think its such a big advantage that you think we should lose both games to them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We were fairly comfortable against Argentina last year, albeit at home. It should be an interesting measure of Rennies development of the team.

Coming into the England series I felt we had more form players and more depth than at any point over the last 5 years. 1/3, sadly, is an improvement on our recent form against England and I figured at the start of the series that's about par (although, seeing how shit England were i now think we underperformed).

I think struggling/losing against Argentina would represent regression and will really start to put pressure on Rennie.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
They have an advantage: Cheika knows everything about Aussie Rugby, he worked analyzing Super Rugby and even coached some of the players. I'm not sure if Rennie has that knowledge about Argie Rugby

Eddie Jones has beat the Wallabies 10 times since 2015, so that's a HUGE advantage IMO

He has great knowledge of the game but I dont think he would have any more knowledge than Eddie of the inner workings of Rennie & co. I'm confident that if we can get a lock combination of Swain, Philip & Arnold or Skelton we should have enough to get us over the line

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's not like Quade hasn't had 10 years to win something... I rated him last year against SA but he was shot vs Japan.

If Noah's not the answer then we need one of the other young Fly Halves in the squad.
I'm not sure Noah is the answer but good enough atm if only for his kicking. I like the look of Carter Gordon at the Rebels another talented player the Reds lost. I would also have a close eye on Tane Edmed.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah but you have to be consistent, you can't be number 9 and then be number 1 winning 2 games. To be number 3 now is a long way from 6th, and if you are #9 is longer
We seem to have been 6 for a fair while and we need to be a couple of positions higher to convince me we are heading in the right direction. We appear to be treading water.
Breakdown
D
Passing

Fix these and we could be on our way?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Giving away penalties under pressure is fine. It's part of the game.

They're not the ones I have an issue with. All the ones I highlighted were errors in decision making that shouldn't happen at this level anywhere near as frequently as they do for the Wallabies.
I don't understand the indecision and 50/50 passes that don't stick. I suspect these guys are not good enough yet to be let off the lead. They need a tight structure with a focus on simple decision making and tight hard support of the ball carrier. Obviously, there is more to it than that but I suspect Rennie is giving them too much leeway in the game plan and they struggle to perform in unstructured play. To keep it in the 'dog world', it's like trying to teach a dog that has just been a cuddle toy for 5 years that sitting, not jumping up etc are important to being a capable good dog!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm not sure Noah is the answer but good enough atm if only for his kicking. I like the look of Carter Gordon at the Rebels another talented player the Reds lost. I would also have a close eye on Tane Edmed.
Carter has so many people talking him up, but I dont think his showed anything so far other then talent. If anything his probably behind Pasitoa, Edmed, Donaldson, Harrison and Noah, for what they have done in Super Rugby. I'd even think Creighton probably had a better run in Super Rugby.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Carter has so many people talking him up, but I dont think his showed anything so far other then talent. If anything his probably behind Pasitoa, Edmed, Donaldson, Harrison and Noah, for what they have done in Super Rugby. I'd even think Creighton probably had a better run in Super Rugby.
Apparently Carter is the best fly-half in his backyard. According Queenslanders he has the kicking game of Wilkinson, the speed of Habana, the smart of Larkham and the side step of Shaun Johnson

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Give all these kids time to develop, does it matter in what order 5 18-21 yo are in.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Apparently Carter is the best fly-half in his backyard. According Queenslanders he has the kicking game of Wilkinson, the speed of Habana, the smart of Larkham and the side step of Shaun Johnson

Carter's shown loads of talent, but as a Rebels fan I worry about our ability to help him progress.

I don't know what it is, but players seem to stagnate whenever they're here. Compare that to the Brumbies who take nobodies and turn them into Wallabies.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Carter's shown loads of talent, but as a Rebels fan I worry about our ability to help him progress.

I don't know what it is, but players seem to stagnate whenever they're here. Compare that to the Brumbies who take nobodies and turn them into Wallabies.
Or able to be good exports (Hansen)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Does seem to be the place where talent goes to die.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So squad for Argentina is named tomorrow I think, with a few changes required at least for injuries. I'm not sure if they've said how many but I'm assuming 36. I've had a crack at something with cover listed for those who might be injured/unavailable (marked with *):

PositionPlayers#Cover
PropBell*, Slipper, Tupou, Ala'alatoa, Sio*5Robertson/Gibbon
HookerPorecki, Fainga'a, Lonergan3
LockPhillip, Swain, Frost, Arnold*4Smith/Jones
BackrowHooper, Valetini, Wison, Leota, Holloway*, Samu, McReight, Hanigan*8Gleeson/Uru
HalfbackWhite, McDermott, Gordon3
FlyhalfCooper, Lolesio, O'Connor3
CentrePaisami, Ikitau, Foketi3
Outside backsKoroibete, Wright, Petaia, Campbell, Hodge, Vunivalu6

That's 35, might be a bit back row heavy, but 3 of them do offer some degree of lock cover. Could be light for centres as well, but again there is cover in Petaia and Hodge from the outside backs. Jones as injury cover is probably contentious, but he did sign with an RA component to his contract and there's a lot up in the air around lock and lock/backrow availability.

The final spot probably comes down to injury cover but for mine it would either be Robertson/Gibbon or maybe Edmed/Donaldson, though I think they'd both be better off playing club if there's no intent to use them. Possibly Pone Fa'amausili gets the call up instead of Robertson/Gibbon, but they haven't really seemed keen to play him.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
So squad for Argentina is named tomorrow I think, with a few changes required at least for injuries. I'm not sure if they've said how many but I'm assuming 36. I've had a crack at something with cover listed for those who might be injured/unavailable (marked with *):

PositionPlayers#Cover
PropBell*, Slipper, Tupou, Ala'alatoa, Sio*5Robertson/Gibbon
HookerPorecki, Fainga'a, Lonergan3
LockPhillip, Swain, Frost, Arnold*4Smith/Jones
BackrowHooper, Valetini, Wison, Leota, Holloway*, Samu, McReight, Hanigan*8Gleeson/Uru
HalfbackWhite, McDermott, Gordon3
FlyhalfCooper, Lolesio, O'Connor3
CentrePaisami, Ikitau, Foketi3
Outside backsKoroibete, Wright, Petaia, Campbell, Hodge, Vunivalu6

That's 35, might be a bit back row heavy, but 3 of them do offer some degree of lock cover. Could be light for centres as well, but again there is cover in Petaia and Hodge from the outside backs. Jones as injury cover is probably contentious, but he did sign with an Rugby Australia component to his contract and there's a lot up in the air around lock and lock/backrow availability.

The final spot probably comes down to injury cover but for mine it would either be Robertson/Gibbon or maybe Edmed/Donaldson, though I think they'd both be better off playing club if there's no intent to use them. Possibly Pone Fa'amausili gets the call up instead of Robertson/Gibbon, but they haven't really seemed keen to play him.
Can't see any real changes to this, but wouldn't surprise me if they travel with closer to 40 given the distance, expected physicality, and run of injuries.