• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well if as it looks and Schmidt gets the gig, I wonder if he will have someone helping with press. He was struggling with mental health a bit by the time he finsihed with Ireland apparently, and he was conspicuous by his absence around press with ABs. Really have the impression he wants to be a coach who just coaches (which I ama bit of a fan of)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Candidates asked what they think of current situation
IMG_4663.jpeg

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
This is an unreal result for Australia, probably a better outcome than we deserve based on our treatment of coaches over the last decade and general administrative incompetence.

For the first time since the Wales WC game I feel a small tinge of excitement about Australian Rugby in 2024!

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Given what he did with Ireland with the other two that we are also getting it is hard not to get my hopes up. Did not think that was possible.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Without trying to be the negative nelly in the room - we need to keep in mind Schmidt isn't also bringing 20 players with him, this isn't club rugby.

And the unfortunate reality is that he doesn't have a 4 year run up to get things right for the home RWC, if we get pantsed by the BIL, the media and public will be back on the Australian rugby death spiral.

This year Super Rugby will tell an interesting story I think in terms of how our players can potentially bridge the gap.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyway, pleased with the appointment - Schmidt is a decent get, and we can all move on with something that looks like a plan.

At the same time, very aware that we're all suffering a bit of Stockholm Syndrome right now, so anything that our oppressors do looks good.

Action is far better than inaction. I learned this from teaching my son how to drive: "Mate, at the roundabout you plant your foot - brake or accelerator, I don't care - just do something that looks like a decision."

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I doubt we will ever be made privy to the exact contract terms for JS, but there is a high likelihood the Australian super rugby landscape could change within the next 2 years (don’t @ me Brumbies and Rebels fans, it’s just facts).

Has Schmidt shown before he wants 4 teams? Is there any evidence for you to link Schmidt to culling or just you think a good coach would want a stable union?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I doubt we will ever be made privy to the exact contract terms for JS, but there is a high likelihood the Australian super rugby landscape could change within the next 2 years (don’t @ me Brumbies and Rebels fans, it’s just facts).

I'm not concerned...

With RA taking over the Tahs, and the Rebels' ongoing financial problems, I'm sure there's an opportunity there for the new great south-east Australian merger.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway, pleased with the appointment - Schmidt is a decent get, and we can all move on with something that looks like a plan.

At the same time, very aware that we're all suffering a bit of Stockholm Syndrome right now, so anything that our oppressors do looks good.

Action is far better than inaction. I learned this from teaching my son how to drive: "Mate, at the roundabout you plant your foot - brake or accelerator, I don't care - just do something that looks like a decision."

I might be overly cautious for the Kool-Aid this time. The last drink became bitter and caught in my throat.

Reactions: TSR

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Without trying to be the negative nelly in the room - we need to keep in mind Schmidt isn't also bringing 20 players with him, this isn't club rugby.

And the unfortunate reality is that he doesn't have a 4 year run up to get things right for the home RWC, if we get pantsed by the BIL, the media and public will be back on the Australian rugby death spiral.

This year Super Rugby will tell an interesting story I think in terms of how our players can potentially bridge the gap.

Also is he going to change the way we play or just do what every nz coach we have had & just tries to implement what the ab's do, which has never worked

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Also is he going to change the way we play or just do what every nz coach we have had & just tries to implement what the ab's do, which has never worked
He's always been a pretty pragmatic sort of coach so I think he should be fine

He did well with Ireland, but it was his work with NZ that really gives me hope. He was so good he managed to cancel out the ineptitude of Ian Foster

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He didn't at Ireland, and he should've had more than enough exposure to us recently to know he can't just try to do the same things as New Zealand (or Ireland for that matter) here, so I think there's a pretty good chance he'll look to build out a game plan and style of play suited to what we have.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
He didn't at Ireland, and he should've had more than enough exposure to us recently to know he can't just try to do the same things as New Zealand (or Ireland for that matter) here, so I think there's a pretty good chance he'll look to build out a game plan and style of play suited to what we have.
Ireland under Schmidt developed a passion for ball control and grinding down their opposition. NZ beat them in the quarters by preparing a defensive line that didnt fall into the trap of over committing to the Irish forward pods and waited for a mistake (frustrating the Irish). The Wallabies greatest weaknesses are discipline and ball control at the ruck. If Schmidt can fix those problems we could dominate teams. Its not an NZ way to play, just common sense footy when you have a limited pool of quality players.
With a simple game plan like that Tupou, Gleeson, Valentini and backs like Foketi and Ikitau etc could punch holes in teams.