• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That might have been the case if he was succeeding Rennie, but after Eddie I think the peacocks have already been plucked. Bigger question might be how centralisation/alignment fits in and what Schmidt is looking for there.

I don't mind a straight shooter in the role at the minute.

I genuinely hope you're right but I has me doubts. Will certainly add some spice to this year's Bleds if nothing else.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I doubt we will ever be made privy to the exact contract terms for JS, but there is a high likelihood the Australian super rugby landscape could change within the next 2 years (don’t @ me Brumbies and Rebels fans, it’s just facts).

Schmidt seems like the sensible choice of coaches available but you also wonder what kind of assurances he’s building into the agreement considering all the financial instability in Australian rugby at the moment.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If true I suspect it will be seen in hindsight as a case of "be careful what you wish for". I'm not sure the current generation of Wobs & potential Wobs are ready for what JS will be bringing to the setup: ruffled some peacock feathers in Ireland & can see him doing the same with your blokes.
It's not like we don't need a good kick up the backside .

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Mention of Daniel Hallangahu for an assistant role - currently backs coach for the Blues but agree interested on what the coaching team looks like
I don’t mind this idea at all.

Another fresh face in the coaching squad. We need new voices all around. Plenty of Australian Rugby experience as a player who was clever over a natural freak. Then he’s cut his teeth coaching in a different environment.

Could also have a good relationship with Waugh. Played for Uni and The Tahs together.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
It's not like we don't need a good kick up the backside .
1000001948.jpg

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
One of the big positives of having a Waugh-Horne-Nucifora-Schmidt power axis driving the game is that they are, to my eyes, all well aligned.

Personality wise they all seem quite similar - pretty straight-forward types who aren't ones to over-egg the pudding. But also, quite tough and demanding (especially Nucifora & Schmidt). Perhaps more importantly, the latter three all have prior working relationships with one another. It gives me more confidence they can weather any potential storms without the complications of interpersonal issues (eg Castle-Scott Johnson-Cheika).

Schmidt is also evidently in touch with the current demands of top-level Test rugby and will garner respect. All round, I am about as pleased as I could be with this.

Last edited:

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If true I suspect it will be seen in hindsight as a case of "be careful what you wish for". I'm not sure the current generation of Wobs & potential Wobs are ready for what JS will be bringing to the setup: ruffled some peacock feathers in Ireland & can see him doing the same with your blokes.
Be careful what you wish for? That is exactly what I wish for! Any player who isn't ready to change and learn isn't what is needed in the Wallabies.

For all the blather that was spoken about Eddie being a master coach and that he knew what was wrong and knew how to fix it, you could see from the play that Jones didn't have a clue. He was a far better coach in his first stint at the Wallabies, despite his obvious failings. In his second stint from day one he was absolutely clueless.

Joe Schmidt has coached at two of the best four teams in world rugby with far more distinction than Eddie Jones. I believe he has the qualities required to get Australia back into the top five world rankings. He may not work out, but we have more chance of succeeding with him than any other available world-class coach.

Some people may get their feathers ruffled in the process. So be it.