• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
2 years seems low but I could imagine that might be at his request rather than RAs. Or maybe there isn't the money to do a longer deal yet.
He left Ireland for his daughters health issues and move closer to family, I think after 2 years he will ask his family if they are happy or not. That's what his been basing all gigs on these days.

I think it was Luke Fitzgerald said, his attention to detail is incredible. Once left his hotel room key on a table and JS got a hold of it, when giving it back was told that this is not good enough, we need to remember every detail and if you can't even remember your key how can I trust you to remember something on the field.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ireland under Schmidt developed a passion for ball control and grinding down their opposition. NZ beat them in the quarters by preparing a defensive line that didnt fall into the trap of over committing to the Irish forward pods and waited for a mistake (frustrating the Irish). The Wallabies greatest weaknesses are discipline and ball control at the ruck. If Schmidt can fix those problems we could dominate teams. Its not an NZ way to play, just common sense footy when you have a limited pool of quality players.
With a simple game plan like that Tupou, Gleeson, Valentini and backs like Foketi and Ikitau etc could punch holes in teams.

Indeed. We have the ball running weapons if we can maintain our shape and discipline, so they have the room to do maximum damage.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
2 years seems low but I could imagine that might be at his request rather than RAs. Or maybe there isn't the money to do a longer deal yet.
Yeah, I imagine it was probably a mutual decision to make sure it's locked up through the Lions series but with a chance to reassess afterwards. There's a hell of a lot to happen between now and then in Aus rugby, so I can see both parties preferring that time frame.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Also is he going to change the way we play or just do what every nz coach we have had & just tries to implement what the ab's do, which has never worked
We could start to answer this question by defining what our recent game plan is. But to do that we have to go back to Dave Rennie to get a coherent game plan. Jones game plan(s) were so all over the place I could not tell you how we played under him except to describe it as horrible.

So the answer to your question is yes, he is going to change the way we play from something totally incoherent to something else. By reputation he is a good planner, with players knowing the plan and what they have to do in it. We will just have to wait till the Wallabies run out to see what it is.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've seen one Kiwi being negative on it - seems to be against the prevailing view though. And I'm not sure if he's negative on the coach, or just Aus rugby fullstop.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 134724.png

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A lot of underlying issues that need to be addressed in Australian rugby, but still... RA should be commended for all of the good appointments they've made recently.

And Schmidt does not appear to be a complete basket case... the interview with Ikitau this week just another example of how bad things were under Jones last year.