• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Nice initiative, now just need some clubs outside the north east of Sydney.
1705802863898.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nice initiative, now just need some clubs outside the north east of Sydney.

And clubs of suitable size and intent to have Colts at that. Here's the map of Subbies clubs - all Divisions:

1705810099228.png

Here's a map of the Top 3 Divisions, all of whom have/should have Colts - you start to see where the league heartlands are pretty quickly, and where most of the U21 cohort is difficult to capture.

1705810127826.png

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
And clubs of suitable size and intent to have Colts at that. Here's the map of Subbies clubs - all Divisions:

View attachment 18087

Here's a map of the Top 3 Divisions, all of whom have/should have Colts - you start to see where the league heartlands are pretty quickly, and where most of the U21 cohort is difficult to capture.

View attachment 18088
Rockdale is apparently gone for 24 with the remnant going back to Southern Districts 4th grade apparently.
Sydney's most prominent population belt is straight west of Wills ground out to Liverpool. Not a single club in this area for years. Liverpool Cougars junior club was it.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
This does not take into account where some or even a majority of teams could not field the lowest grade (i.e. Sutherland Cup 2023 is still counted).
1705905271500.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I did something similar off the Annual Reports available:

Player numbers - note the Y axis starts at 4000
1705921371267.png

Number of Clubs (right axis) total and Teams total per year. Number of clubs fairly steady (52 to 47). Number of teams dropped.
1705921317103.png

Teams per Club - basically drilling down on the above.
1705921414329.png

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Touch Football has lost half of all participants since 2017

What would be interesting is to understand if they're going to another sport or just quitting.

I was looking at some lower grade Premier Rugby sheets from 2023, and saw a fair few names that came up on Subbies sheets from 2022. So they're at least staying in the code.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
I also have data showing the number of results, byes, forfeits, and cancelled matches across the divisions.
I have 2020 - 2023 which is obviously skewed, and am currently adding 2019 via the referee appointments as I have no match results prior to 2020.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
What would be interesting is to understand if they're going to another sport or just quitting.

I was looking at some lower grade Premier Rugby sheets from 2023, and saw a fair few names that came up on Subbies sheets from 2022. So they're at least staying in the code.
Rugby league and Rugby 7s is taking a solid tranche of female players out of the game, but not half of all participants though. Its a drop of about 200k players. Ovid can be blamed for some of that but certainly not all of it.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Another chart, potential games over the last 23 season for Div 1-4. Added total and a telling trend line. This does not account for games that were forfeited or cancelled, nor does it account for clubs that could not accommodate the full compliment of teams.
I will look at adding Div 5 & 6.
It is interesting seeing the clubs in the above matrix across the years. Team moving up through the divisions only to disappear altogether (Kings, CBOB, etc..) also the 3 clubs that had a single season in Div 4 the first year it dropped the Walker Cup in 2020 (Dukes, Maccabi, Colleagues).
1705979080399.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Divs 5 & 6 will be interesting. You'll see a fair bit of attrition I'd say.

Here are the clubs I have down as finished up since 2007:
Oakhill Old Boys
Norwest
Killara West Pymble
Bankstown
Notre Dame Uni
St George
Liverpool
The Vales (Fairvale/Lansvale)
Roseville
Sydney Grammar Old Boys
Collaroy
Clovelly
Seaforth
ICMS
Dee Why
Engadine
Sydney Combined Forces
Hawkesbury Ag College
Menai - came back in a couple of times, won trophies, shut down.

Rockdale came back in 2023 and status for 2024 TBC.

The "maybes" who were still about in 2023 via merger or Halligan Cup:
Lane Cove
Brothers
Terrey Hills

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Divs 5 & 6 will be interesting. You'll see a fair bit of attrition I'd say.

Here are the clubs I have down as finished up since 2007:
Oakhill Old Boys
Norwest
Killara West Pymble
Bankstown
Notre Dame Uni
St George
Liverpool
The Vales (Fairvale/Lansvale)
Roseville
Sydney Grammar Old Boys
Collaroy
Clovelly
Seaforth
ICMS
Dee Why
Engadine
Sydney Combined Forces
Hawkesbury Ag College
Menai - came back in a couple of times, won trophies, shut down.

Rockdale came back in 2023 and status for 2024 TBC.

The "maybes" who were still about in 2023 via merger or Halligan Cup:
Lane Cove
Brothers
Terrey Hills
To keep it simple I kept out the filler clubs such as convicts that were playing lower grades only in 23. There was a lot of that going on last year.
I will also likely move Northern Saints into St Ives for example as well.