• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
I was at the AGM, where Subbies position on the matter was outlined.

From my recollection of the Chairmans message the below was noted:

Player numbers, especially towards the end of the season were dwindling, and many 3rd graders were playing two games to make 4th grade happen.
1st Grade were not at the level required to compete in the division.
Analysis was completed around the strength of each win vs the losses. IE Each win they achieved was within X points compared to the losses which gave an average of Y points (or something to that effect).
The decision was handed down with the "finest of margins", but ultimately Mosman was deemed to have had a 1 off bad year across the grades, but still had numbers to supplement them staying in the top tier.
Subbies also mentioned that their promotion may have come pre-maturely when they were asked to come up. Subbies fell on their sword on this point. A bit like 'its not you its me'.

Dont shoot the messenger. But this was my best recollection of their main points of Defence. I cant recall the exact numbers of the votes, but lets just say it wasn't close.
Thanks for this 21mm

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Without wanting to rehash this and I acknowledge St Pats frustration on what has happened to them in 2023. Subbies need to come out with a statement that either indicates that from 2024 relegation will be now purely based on the Club Champs ladder. If that is no longer the case and there is a different model then these metrics need to be clearly stated on what they are and how they will be are measured. Transparency into 2025 is required if there is a move away from CC for promotion and relegation.
Agree wholeheartedly. If CC isn't the metric, then what is? Tell the clubs the metrics so everyone knows in advance.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
clearly if a club appears to be short on players despite standing on CC - that comes into it. This would be next to impossible to document this though..
i.e what if a club can't field 2nds, 3rds and 4ths, but comes second in the CC - whereas the club who comes last fields 5 grades, womens and colts....

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Heavy D will never tip against the Breakers. He’s got them with the squad to win the Kentwell this year

Correction. I tipped both UNSW and Lindfield to beat Breakers in last years Barraclough finals.

Breakers pre season doesn't start till mid February so will have to see how the boys are shaping up before I make a call, particularly in the front row department which was the achilles last year. They currently have a 25 player squad training for their 7's campaign, and with added coaching depth things appear to be building nicely. Touch a massive piece of wood.

KettleBlack

Frank Row (1)
Div 1
Hunters Hill
to win Club Champs on the back of string higher grades and Colts.
Premiers- Drummoyne to break the Hunters boys hearts again
Spoon- Mosman to give Subbies some headaches after running 8 teams but struggling in Div 1.
Lindfield are on a roll and will be mid table in Div 1. They won’t compete with the big boys but some clubs might fall over on a trip to the Old Soilders.

Div 2
UNSW
to finally have there year after years of getting run over by clubs on a run.
Premiers- UNSW - toss up between Petersham and Pats for who they play.
Spoon- Hills- depth in the higher grades and Colts means they will struggle. Though if we see the mid year exodus Newport could struggle.

Div 3
Sydney Harlequins-
a club on the rise and will be a toss up with Knox for the top Spot.
Premiers- Harbour- Will make it 4 in a row. No one will get close to them in 1s in this division. But will be a drama for Subbies as without the support of Easts there a 1 team club.
Spoon- Will depend on who ends up in this division but will be a toss up between the new Lane Cove/Iggies merger and Barker. Could be a tough year for the new merger club, they may benefit from a year in Div 4 to help them grow but Subbies can’t afford to loose more clubs from an already struggling division.

Div 4
Merrylands-
will continue to be dominate in this division unless there forced to go up. Pfitzys boys to be the big improvers here, seeing good things out of them so far.
Premiers- Merrylands to be to strong and fast. Would imagine given the Div 3 mess Subbies will be leaning on them and Irish to go up and fill some holes.
Spoon- Mac Uni another tough year for the Students though without Lane cove we could see Saints in this spot.

Div 5/6?
Real toss up with this one, Depends on whose got the latest rugby league ring in. I’ll go with the Sea Lice. They’ve been strong over the past few years but didn’t get the job done last year.
Div 3 still looking roughly the same ?
Heard Harbour is debuting a secret team at the MAC 10’s
What’s thoughts on the new merger Lane Cove Iggies side ?

Bismarck12345

Stan Wickham (3)
Can see Div 2 going to UNSW or Newport. UNSW will definitely beat Newport if they play how they played all season (excluding the preliminary final) and I think both teams will be better than Pats and Petersham. Out of the 2 dropping from Div 1, I expect Petersham to perform the worst.

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
Can see Div 2 going to UNSW or Newport. UNSW will definitely beat Newport if they play how they played all season (excluding the preliminary final) and I think both teams will be better than Pats and Petersham. Out of the 2 dropping from Div 1, I expect Petersham to perform the worst.
despite coming last, St Pats are handy. Petersham are also dangerous in 1s depending on which backpackers turn up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
New initiative to recruit Colts is underway

Map search etc. Link here:

1000009148.png

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
excellent - from experience - having an attractive colts program can be the lifeblood of a club. Just need to make sure they are good clubmen - as the colts team can sometimes hangout with themselves and not the grades. The secret is also to get them into grade sooner than later.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
excellent - from experience - having an attractive colts program can be the lifeblood of a club. Just need to make sure they are good clubmen - as the colts team can sometimes hangout with themselves and not the grades. The secret is also to get them into grade sooner than later.

For a small club like mine, it is becoming critical to get younger players in. If we had ~20 Colts playing a game prior our 2 Grades, it pretty much ensures we're going to have a good bench for both of a Saturday.

We've had several players in the 17-21 bracket perform extremely well even in First Grade. A lot of them play(ed) league, so the physicality doesn't bother them at all.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That Colts site is also running via a social media campaign which should deliver more numbers to clubs.