• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Another chart, potential games over the last 23 season for Div 1-4. Added total and a telling trend line. This does not account for games that were forfeited or cancelled, nor does it account for clubs that could not accommodate the full compliment of teams.
I will look at adding Div 5 & 6.
It is interesting seeing the clubs in the above matrix across the years. Team moving up through the divisions only to disappear altogether (Kings, CBOB, etc..) also the 3 clubs that had a single season in Div 4 the first year it dropped the Walker Cup in 2020 (Dukes, Maccabi, Colleagues).
View attachment 18112
Ahem, CBOBS haven't disappeared - have been Brothers for quite some time.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Divs 5 & 6 will be interesting. You'll see a fair bit of attrition I'd say.

Here are the clubs I have down as finished up since 2007:
Oakhill Old Boys
Norwest
Killara West Pymble
Bankstown
Notre Dame Uni
St George
Liverpool
The Vales (Fairvale/Lansvale)
Roseville
Sydney Grammar Old Boys
Collaroy
Clovelly
Seaforth
ICMS
Dee Why
Engadine
Sydney Combined Forces
Hawkesbury Ag College
Menai - came back in a couple of times, won trophies, shut down.

Rockdale came back in 2023 and status for 2024 TBC.

The "maybes" who were still about in 2023 via merger or Halligan Cup:
Lane Cove
Brothers
Terrey Hills
For Brothers scratch maybe, insert alive.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
For Brothers scratch maybe, insert alive.

Absolutely alive, as a club. Helluva lot of work going on with partnerships and I see via social media that Colts is back.

However, they didn't field a senior team in 2023. Once that is rectified, they come off the "maybes" list. ;)

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Added Div 5&6. Any thoughts on what happened in 2016?
1706084615174.png

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
And here is the full set showing all the clubs and which divisions they were in since 2001. Subbies only.
1706145008594.png

Last edited:

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
What would be interesting is to understand if they're going to another sport or just quitting.

I was looking at some lower grade Premier Rugby sheets from 2023, and saw a fair few names that came up on Subbies sheets from 2022. So they're at least staying in the code.
I think we are seeing guys dropping out as they don’t want to commit the time required. We are seeing clubs start pre season in Dec/Jan and then two nights a week training plus a Saturday where you play your game/back up for the next and help out round the club is a huge amount of time.

I think we will see the rise in smaller comps where guys can turn up and play or more 1 team clubs when a group of guys want to play together.

There’s definite exceptions to this and some clubs are booming, but I think We will see the gap between Div 1 and the rest continue to grow.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Your point about time commitment is valid tho, in all seriousness. Most of the players who come through our doors are there to play, not take a turn on the BBQ or pack up the ground.

Also seeing clubs move to one night a week training. Two nights for amateurs rugby is becoming a bit much for coaches and support staff as well.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Your point about time commitment is valid tho, in all seriousness. Most of the players who come through our doors are there to play, not take a turn on the BBQ or pack up the ground.

Also seeing clubs move to one night a week training. Two nights for amateurs rugby is becoming a bit much for coaches and support staff as well.
We’ve been at one night for a long long time. During Covid and the ensuing years, our culture shifted and we struggle to get full teams at training.
Now we are looking at our coaching staff and thinking about how we can make sure that we have quality in our sessions, but how we make sure the time is used productively and efficiently.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Jeez I wish! ;) also worth noting I've talked to Div 1 clubs who struggle to get help across the board.
More than anything I think getting people to help out and run clubs is what’s going to kill it. Same as playing the time commitment is huge and the effort it takes to run a club is massive.
Without a big old boys group it’s almost impossible to get people to volunteer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Without a big old boys group it’s almost impossible to get people to volunteer

And for newer clubs this is nearly nonexistent. As time goes on, even older clubs will likely suffer a diminishing base because the lack of volunteers in the current player base translates into no old boys hanging around.

Over our short history, we've had a few guys who were family members of players help out. Mostly, they've retired and moved out of Sydney. Why wouldn't you? Cheaper almost everywhere else.

A lot of volunteers out there are working their arses off to keep clubs afloat, and begging for help, but not getting it. I managed to score a guy last year who is really enthusiastic. He asked a few friends if they'd like to help out, and they all asked what it pays!

If you just got 3 guys for each grade to just give an hour a week, it wouldn't be a burden at all. People don't get that.

Northies

Bob McCowan (2)
And for newer clubs this is nearly nonexistent. As time goes on, even older clubs will likely suffer a diminishing base because the lack of volunteers in the current player base translates into no old boys hanging around.

Over our short history, we've had a few guys who were family members of players help out. Mostly, they've retired and moved out of Sydney. Why wouldn't you? Cheaper almost everywhere else.

A lot of volunteers out there are working their arses off to keep clubs afloat, and begging for help, but not getting it. I managed to score a guy last year who is really enthusiastic. He asked a few friends if they'd like to help out, and they all asked what it pays!

If you just got 3 guys for each grade to just give an hour a week, it wouldn't be a burden at all. People don't get that.
A bit generational these days too. Parents dump kids at sport and don't contribute. Those kids become adults who assume it all just happens magically.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
More than anything I think getting people to help out and run clubs is what’s going to kill it. Same as playing the time commitment is huge and the effort it takes to run a club is massive.
Without a big old boys group it’s almost impossible to get people to volunteer.

Newport have being paying bar staff for many a year. With two bars and a busy BBQ it was beyond the scope of players and an over stretched committee to manage. It comes at a cost but it takes a lot of pressure of collecting the beer and restocking fridges.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Newport have being paying bar staff for many a year. With two bars and a busy BBQ it was beyond the scope of players and an over stretched committee to manage. It comes at a cost but it takes a lot of pressure of collecting the beer and restocking fridges.

Other clubs do it as well where the size warrants it. I'd like to pay a canteen manager, but then other volunteers start to wonder why their hard work doesn't get rewarded, financially. Balancing act.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rockdale is apparently gone for 24 with the remnant going back to Southern Districts 4th grade apparently.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Good news. Tough time of year for clubs if you are depending on 'let's see who shows up' though. Rockdale were in Div 4 last year and were well represented.
18 forfeits for 2023 though none by Rockdale. 16 of them in 2nds. Mac Uni (5), Lane Cove (4), Chatswood (4)....
Renegades forfeited 1sts and 2nds on 29th July. That would have been the European rugby tour no doubt. :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Renegades forfeited 1sts and 2nds on 29th July. That would have been the European rugby tour no doubt. :)

lol I'm still waiting for the opportunity for a Euro vacation.

Came down to work, injuries, and I suspect a few players reluctant to play on the plastic.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
So any cups to be added to the 'not contested' list for 2024?
Sutherland and Richardson all bar gone in 2023, Nicholson used to be Div 3 4ths (I think), now colts, Campbell gone, Radford relegated to Halligan style colts, Walker gone, Noice gone.
CompetitionDivisionGradePrizeKick-Off
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 011st GradeKentwell Cup
15:15​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 012nd GradeBurke Cup
14:00​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 011st ColtsBarbour Cup
12:45​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 013rd GradeWhiddon Cup
11:40​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 014th GradeJudd Cup
10:45​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 015th GradeSutherland Cup